Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest mortgage shortest time

Options
  • 21-09-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

hi does anybody know where i could get the shortest mortgage possible at the cheapest rate, essentially was going to build using my cash but seems i may be entitled to 30000 from the help to buy scheme as i pay alot of tax, realistically i want to get the govt subsidy and pay back the mortgage straight away. any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

newhouse87 wrote: »
    hi does anybody know where i could get the shortest mortgage possible at the cheapest rate, essentially was going to build using my cash but seems i may be entitled to 30000 from the help to buy scheme as i pay alot of tax, realistically i want to get the govt subsidy and pay back the mortgage straight away. any info appreciated.

Try Bonkers.ie, hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Just look for the cheapest rate, the term doesn't really matter, you can always just pay it all off early or just pay extra repayments then it will finish early anyway or just reduce the term after you draw it down.

Concentrate on the best rate and if you want to overpay etc then variable rate is best or check with the lender if they allow overpayments and by how much on a fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭newhouse87

cheers, rang the bank and i can do variable which means i can pay it off after 1year, my problem now is trying to find out if revenue will claw back some of the help to buy money if i pay back so soon, cant find info on if they will actually do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

Is the clawback not for if you sell within 5 years or something like that.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickcavan11

You can get up 5% up to the property value of €400k which is max €20k I believe. That’s what we got last year. It gets payed within 10 days of first mortgage drawdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The clawback is if you sell or don’t live in the house. Why would revenue care if you keep the mortgage for 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Any variable rate mortgage can be repayed early. AIB has the best variable rates afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

This has been increased to 10% (max.30k) since July and due to expire end of year but I reckon it will be extended in the budget next month.

You can get up 5% up to the property value of €400k which is max €20k I believe. That’s what we got last year. It gets payed within 10 days of first mortgage drawdown.

yea i got approved for the the 30k and pay off my fixed mortgage at2.7% after 1 year, revenue have no interest in when i pay it off so i should be up cicra 20k after all fees paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Try Bonkers.ie, hope it helps

Bonkers.ie will probably point you towards Avant Money who have the lowest rate of 1.95% (if you meet the criteria) but no cashback.

Worth considering the cashback offers too if you are willing to do multiple switches.

• Advertisement

was talking to bank of Ireland so will get 2% cashback, interest on 2.7% of 210k mortgage 5670 for the year, cashback 4200, pay it off after the year and will have gotten my 30k from revenue, only for a friend told me about this i would have went ahead building with cash, this way i will be up 22k+ after all solicitors fees, bank interest and having to pay engineer to oversee the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Sorry for butting in. Will I have to pay fees to switch mortgage from current provider to say Avant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

thegills wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in. Will I have to pay fees to switch mortgage from current provider to say Avant?

Legal fees to sol, yes.

Approx. 800-1200.

Advertisement