Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules Updated 10/9/2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

styron wrote: »
    EU intend 'third country' platforms like Ali, non-EU Amazon, Wish etc. to collect and pay VAT due directly to the respective Revenue of the countries they sell into for (non-excise) goods under €150 from 2021 on.

We've seen how thats gone with Ebays GSP..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

Hi everyone
    I just got a letter from customs to say my package is being held in Dublin and I have to send a copy of the receipt so they can work out the charge I have to pay...the item is clothing as I paid €85 including delivery...
    Can anyone tell me roughly how much will I have to pay? I seen somewhere it was 8% plus €10 post office charge?
    Thanks so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

vwcorrado wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I just got a letter from customs to say my package is being held in Dublin and I have to send a copy of the receipt so they can work out the charge I have to pay...the item is clothing as I paid €85 including delivery...
    Can anyone tell me roughly how much will I have to pay? I seen somewhere it was 8% plus €10 post office charge?
    Thanks so much

It will be 21% vat plus a €10 An Post charge leaving you with a €27.85 charge.

The 8% is the duty rate, which only applies for goods valued over €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

It will be 21% vat plus a €10 An Post charge leaving you with a €27.85 charge.

The 8% is the duty rate, which only applies for goods valued over €150.

Thanks for the reply...the letter states that I have to send them a copy of the receipt but as it was on ebay...could I send them the screenshot of the item on ebay?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thanks for the reply...the letter states that I have to send them a copy of the receipt but as it was on ebay...could I send them the screenshot of the item on ebay?
    Thanks

I've emailed screenshots before without any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks

Send the paypal invoice email as a pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

My daughter just took delivery of a vinyl lp I ordered from America.
    The dhl driver took 32 euro from her for "import duty" and didn't give her a receipt.
    The album cost $29.99 plus $18 delivery.
    This cant be right can it?
    I will be contacting dhl myself but I want to check what you guys think too?
    My daughter is a bit upset as she thinks the driver might have conned her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,413 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have a flat fee they charge for processing of something like €10 and then the duty on top, the duty would be calculated on invoice price plus shipping and the VAT on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Contact DHL for a receipt/invoice. They usually charge a processing fee to handle paying the duty, which is probably more than the duty itself on something like a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Thanks, so the fee amount was legit?
    Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Please read the first post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Hi,
    Got a letter saying the parcel I ordered is being held at the post office until I send my receipt of the order.
    The parcel came from China and after being in touch with the seller I have found out he declared the parcel to be worth less money than I paid for it.
    The letter says

"As importer of the goods you have legal responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of information provided on the declaration by the seller and ensuring that correct payments are made. Where an incorrect payment is made the goods may be liable to seizure"

Does this mean it's my fault he put a lower price on the parcel than I paid? If I send my legitimate receipt in can they still sieze my parcel. I have no issue with paying the extra taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hi,
    Got a letter saying the parcel I ordered is being held at the post office until I send my receipt of the order.
    The parcel came from China and after being in touch with the seller I have found out he declared the parcel to be worth less money than I paid for it.
    The letter says

"As importer of the goods you have legal responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of information provided on the declaration by the seller and ensuring that correct payments are made. Where an incorrect payment is made the goods may be liable to seizure"

Does this mean it's my fault he put a lower price on the parcel than I paid? If I send my legitimate receipt in can they still sieze my parcel. I have no issue with paying the extra taxes.

if you send in a receipt for the legitimate value of the goods they will just charge you the appropriate taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

if you send in a receipt for the legitimate value of the goods they will just charge you the appropriate taxes.

Oh great, thank you. Just thought it sounded like I might be penalised for having an order confirmation different to what was on the parcel. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hi. Hoping someone can offer a bit of advice for this situation.

Basically, a family member was in the US last year and bought something valued at $1299 then brought it home. It broke through no fault of their own and a replacement was approved, but the company in the US was not willing to send a replacement to Ireland, so what I did was I had it sent to my Shipito address for them and the replacement was sent from here back to the US.

So the problem we have now is getting it to Ireland. Whenever I have had something sent from my Shipito account to Ireland they require you to fill in a customs declaration. Obviously we want to enter exactly what it is and the true value for insurance reasons with DHL. When the package arrives in Dublin they'll see it's valued at $1300 and want import duty for that value.

We do have a digital receipt issued by the company after the replacement under warranty was approved and its basically identical to the original receipt, but the value/total price is listed as 0$ on this one as it's a free replacement. Will revenue accept that and release it without duty having to be paid? I assume at some point they would have dealt with a similar situation to this but I don't know what the rules are when it comes to free replacements under warranty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did they declare it and pay duty and VAT when they brought it to Ireland initially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did they declare it and pay duty and VAT when they brought it to Ireland initially?

Yes, but she doesn't have the receipt from back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think that goods being sent outside EU for repair, require a form that needs to be filled out before they are sent back to avoid paying vat when they are returned.
    I am not sure about replacement items, but I am guessing it is the same.
    I also don't know if she may have paid vat on the item when it was brought in initially, or if that was required.

I think some information here (page 20) - https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3859598/5936933/KS-GQ-14-003-EN.PDF/139bab30-5528-407b-bd0d-11ebcc243942

Or here (UK but inside EU). Not sure if this is the same.
    https://www.reading.ac.uk/post/departmental-mail/external-mail/post-vat-info.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

VG31 wrote: »
    Duty yes, but you have to pay VAT on items over €22.

I purchased something From Ali Express €24, Am i liable for vat ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

torrevieja wrote: »
    I purchased something From Ali Express €24, Am i liable for vat ?
    Revenue will not collect import VAT if the amount due is €6 or less so the actual VAT-exemption limit at the moment is €28.57 (@ 21%). Note this applies to the cost of the goods PLUS postage.

Even if your package is slightly above this value, the likelihood is that it won't be stopped unless it catches someone's eye for some reason. (Ridiculously low declared value etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

When I buy from the U.K. post brexit will this 10€ fee be added to everything I’m a little confused?

If only vat is needed ie under 150€ is it still paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There used to be an exemption for goods under €25, but even that is going, IIRC not till sometime later in the year, so nearly everything over €25 from January and everything later in the year.

The other issue will be that EU warranty and consumer law will no longer apply so repair, replacement and returns could be totally different.

I thought the exemption was 22€ is it 25€ also is the exemption based on price including U.K. vat or excluding U.K. vat,

sugarman wrote: »
    On everything applicable for VAT+Duty owed beyond the 1st Jan, yes.
    It's an An Post admin fee and only applies when import taxes are paid by An Post as part of customs clearance.

Retailers like Amazon collect at source and handle customs clearance themselves so there won't be any extra An Post (or courier) admin fee added to packages coming from them.

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    I thought the exemption was 22€ is it 25€ also is the exemption based on price including U.K. vat or excluding U.K. vat,
    It is. But if the VAT due is less than €6, Revenue don't collect, so the effective limit is actually €28.57.

Any package shipped from GB direct to an ROI address will not have UK VAT added to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Exemption is €22 including delivery costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Caranica wrote: »
    Exemption is €22 including delivery costs

It's random though isn't it. Not every parcel gets caught for it.

I have a few Blu-rays I’m looking at from an independent retailer for 23€ including postage but stock is out till. Next year

It does seem like anything under 28€ shouldn’t be charged vat cos of the 6€ thing is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

If I order something from the UK after Brexit, I understand that VAT and import duty will need to be paid.

What I don't understand is what the deal is with UK VAT. Do I have to pay that as well? Or will the seller need to deduct the VAT from the item?

Also, If I pay for custom made curtains now, which will be made, but probably won't be shipped until january, are they still subject to VAT and import duty? And is the value calculated on what I paid, (most of the cost is the customisation), or on the intrinsic value of a pair of curtains?

UK VAT - Nobody seems to know. Amazon declare Irish VAT so they are ok up to €150.00
    Anything that arrives into the state from the 1st January from the UK is subject to VAT/Duty and customs clearance. It doesn't matter when it was ordered or shipped.
    Value is on what you paid + Freight.

Latest Brexit updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Blisterman wrote: »
    If I order something from the UK after Brexit, I understand that VAT and import duty will need to be paid.

What I don't understand is what the deal is with UK VAT. Do I have to pay that as well? Or will the seller need to deduct the VAT from the item?

Also, If I pay for custom made curtains now, which will be made, but probably won't be shipped until january, are they still subject to VAT and import duty? And is the value calculated on what I paid, (most of the cost is the customisation), or on the intrinsic value of a pair of curtains?

Differs from company to company, some will still charge the VAT, others will remove the VAT like they are supposed to for export goods.

This is the actual wording from revenue:

2. Non-collection of Small Amounts of Import Charges
    Where the customs duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of excise duty which will always be collected if the goods are liable to excise duty.

Would the 10€ an post fee still apply if it was between 22 and 28€?

Would the 10€ an post fee still apply if it was between 22 and 28€?

It's in black and white. If the VAT is €6 or more they say they will collect it. The VAT amount is more important because the VAT rate may change back to 23%.

It's in black and white. If the VAT is €6 or more they say they will collect it. The VAT amount is more important because the VAT rate may change back to 23%.

Just trying to figure out if I’d need to pay the 10€ on my 23€ order or if it’d be wiser to spend 100€ at once

Just trying to figure out if I’d need to pay the 10€ on my 23€ order or if it’d be wiser to spend 100€ at once

Nobody knows. It isn't clear cut about the VAT collection situation. Amazon will be ok because they collect Irish VAT. If other companies don't it will probably have to be customs cleared. No definite answers yet.

Nobody knows. It isn't clear cut about the VAT collection situation. Amazon will be ok because they collect Irish VAT. If other companies don't it will probably have to be customs cleared. No definite answers yet.

How does it work from America rn I imagine it’d be similar

How does it work from America rn I imagine it’d be similar

Online buying - Import VAT and Duty thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is the actual wording from revenue:

2. Non-collection of Small Amounts of Import Charges
    Where the customs duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of excise duty which will always be collected if the goods are liable to excise duty.

Until the 1st July
    Note

From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:

be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value
    and
    always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

With UK joining the third country rank the import VAT will surely be on top of current retail prices, the British government won't forego any
    tax revenue on exports. They're abolishing their (under £15) import VAT exemption too - on Jan 1st.

I have a few Blu-rays I’m looking at from an independent retailer for 23€ including postage but stock is out till. Next year
    From the UK? If that includes UK VAT, then the price from January 1st will be less as UK VAT won't be added on orders shipped to Ireland. As long as the retailer will still ship to Ireland.
    Just trying to figure out if I’d need to pay the 10€ on my 23€ order or if it’d be wiser to spend 100€ at once.
    Even if the total consignment price is €23 ex VAT, the Irish VAT due would be €4.83 and, being less than €6, will not be collected by Revenue. Until July 1st when the rules change.

The €10 An Post handing fee is ONLY charged when Revenue collects VAT/duty (as it's a handling fee for An Post paying Revenue on your behalf and then collecting it from you) and so wouldn't apply to your €23 packages.

Quackster wrote: »
    From the UK? If that includes UK VAT, then the price from January 1st will be less as UK VAT won't be added on orders shipped to Ireland. As long as the retailer will still ship to Ireland.

Any retailer in the UK I've asked doesn't know what they are doing. One has checked with his accountant last week, and he still hasn't got back to me.

So, its either they deduct Vat and its is customs cleared, adding VAT and charges or They ship it including UK VAT and we pay on it here as well, making it at least 20% more expensive. Brilliant with 17 days to go......

Any retailer in the UK I've asked doesn't know what they are doing. One has checked with his accountant last week, and he still hasn't got back to me.

So, its either they deduct Vat and its is customs cleared, adding VAT and charges or They ship it including UK VAT and we pay on it here as well, making it at least 20% more expensive. Brilliant with 17 days to go......
    Aye, there's the rub. It's fine for the Amazons of this world but for small retailers trying to get to grips with it all, it may well just prove too much hassle for a lot of them and they'll simply stop delivering outside the UK.

There'll still be AddressPal but then you'll have the issue of paying UK & Irish VAT on the double. Plus the €10 An Post fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

MIL sent some old toys (not new, belonged to older grand child) from Australia to Ireland for my son for Christmas. Threw in some Tim Tams, sweets etc.

DHL charged me €24 in import duties.

Mate of mine sent me some american candy, lays and Dr Pepper from Florida

Fedex charged me €44 in import duties.

Bit of a piss take on stuff that had no real value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MIL sent some old toys (not new, belonged to older grand child) from Australia to Ireland for my son for Christmas. Threw in some Tim Tams, sweets etc.

DHL charged me €24 in import duties.

Mate of mine sent me some american candy, lays and Dr Pepper from Florida

Fedex charged me €44 in import duties.

Bit of a piss take on stuff that had no real value.

DHL charge customs clearance fees even when no VAT or Customs duty are chargeable. And the more honest the sender is, by detailing the items in the package, the more they charge the recipient. A package declared as containing from 1-6 items of no value will cost €20 to process. a package with 10 items of no value will cost €40 with an extra 5€ per line in the declaration form thereafter.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    DHL charge customs clearance fees even when no VAT or Customs duty are chargeable. And the more honest the sender is, by detailing the items in the package, the more they charge the recipient. A package declared as containing from 1-6 items of no value will cost €20 to process. a package with 10 items of no value will cost €40 with an extra 5€ per line in the declaration form thereafter.

If there is no VAT or Duty to be paid there is no entry to be done or money to be paid out, they don't charge. If someone sends things like the previous poster and ship it via DHL or FEdEx Express, the freight amount alone will have a considerable impact on the Vat/Duty. I don't think in Customs terns there is any such thing as no value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

<b>If there is no VAT or Duty to be paid there is no entry to be done or money to be paid out, they don't charge.</b> If someone sends things like the previous poster and ship it via DHL or FEdEx Express, the freight amount alone will have a considerable impact on the Vat/Duty. I don't think in Customs terns there is any such thing as no value.

Personal experience in the past few months tells me your 1st sentence is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How will brexit effect uk based online sellers who drop ship product from eu to eu?

Advertisement