Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Girlfriend to Ireland

Options
  • 17-09-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Regularly trying to get in contact with immigration advisors with suitable knowledge - but would really appreciate some help/advice here. I'm Irish and have been with my girlfriend for just over 2 years, 1.5 of which has been long distance. She currently resides in Brazil.

We've been investigating ways for her to come to Ireland to live/work. We've looked into the de factor visa, but haven't lived together for 2 years.

Apart from marriage - Does anyone have any insight into potential methods?
    Secondly, has anyone used the below route? I am still not 100% sure it is possible.

Seem to have come across something promising:

A non-EEA national:
    who wishes to accompany or join an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen family member who is moving to or residing in Ireland in accordance with the Directive 2004/38/EC...can apply short-stay C visa. From: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Family+Members+of+EU_EEA+_Swiss+citizens

It sounds like she could obtain the short stay C visa for 3 months and apply for a residency card after.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does she have family here? If not she can't join family.

What does she work at? Check out the critical skills permit list, that's her best shot. Also check out the work permit excluded list, if her occupation is on that, you're really up against it.

Marriage doesn't guarantee residence. There are people on here who have been waiting years to join their Irish husband/wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Caranica wrote: »
    Marriage doesn't guarantee residence.

While Marriage would not guarantee residence in Ireland, it would for all other EU countries under EU freedom of movement, so if the OP wants to marry and move elsewhere in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hi all,

Regularly trying to get in contact with immigration advisors with suitable knowledge - but would really appreciate some help/advice here. I'm Irish and have been with my girlfriend for just over 2 years, 1.5 of which has been long distance. She currently resides in Brazil.

We've been investigating ways for her to come to Ireland to live/work. We've looked into the de factor visa, but haven't lived together for 2 years.

Secondly, has anyone used the below route? I am still not 100% sure it is possible.

A non-EEA national:
    who wishes to accompany or join an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen family member who is moving to or residing in Ireland in accordance with the Directive 2004/38/EC...can apply short-stay C visa. From: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Family+Members+of+EU_EEA+_Swiss+citizens

It sounds like she could obtain the short stay C visa for 3 months and apply for a residency card after.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Daniel.
    Have you looked at the language course route? They can get renewals which will bring them past the 2 years, at which point you could invoke the de facto rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Asuming you mean coming over to study English - She's fluent in english and finished her course early when she was here previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Any possibility of a Portuguese passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Asuming you mean coming over to study English - She's fluent in english and finished her course early when she was here previously.
    Fair enough. Still might be worth looking at, some high level English exams for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

She cannot get residency card while on a short stay c visa.she would need too apply for a long term D visa which is more than 3months while outside Ireland.
    she/you would need too guarantee in writing she will not become a burden on the state e.g. She/you have the funds too support her while staying here.you also need too earn close too €40,000 a year too be able too sponcer her for the D visa.
    Why not try the C visa for 3 months and see how she likes it.it can be repeated if needed.
    There is an immagration place on lower gardener street in Dublin who would be worth a phone call too,they are immagration advisors but it can be done by both of you.
    Does she live anywhere near the irish consulate or embassy in Brazil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Hi all,

A non-EEA national:

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

Marriage is the only realistic route unless she can qualify for a work permit (See criteria here: https://dbei.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Permit-Types/), or fund a suitable course at university paying non-EU fees.

If you get married, you will need to provide evidence of your relationship before the marriage and your own earnings as an Irish national. She can enter the state without applying for the visa, showing the marriage cert at the border and telling them that she intends to register as the spouse of an Irish national. Best option would be if you travel with her.

If you are an Irish citizen, the link you reference does not apply. This route applies to EU nationals who are exercising their free movement rights

Advertisement