Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here installed a Garden pool?

• 17-09-2020 10:47am

We're currently getting some work done and may have scope for a small outdoor garden swimming pool . With builders on site it might be more feasible to have this done now.

Has anyone on here done this before either themselves or had one installed professionally? Any suggestions or references as a starting point?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

An ornamental pond with plants and goldfish or a swimming pool with associated buildings to house the pool itself and pumps, filters, heaters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

If it's a pond, as I'm guessing it is, I'd go with a wildlife pond. Forget goldfish. Just let nature populate it.

Reasoning is that, with ornamental fish, ye quite naturally gonna want to see them. This will lead to a big filter system, very much like I happen to have just bought. But, mine's for a turtle. Different again.

But, such a system, while allowing ye crystal clear water, will really allow ye just that. Sparkling, clear water. With ye fish in it. Practically anything else will be sucked out of that pond and 'filtered'.

Worms. Water fleas. Larvae. Anything. Want goldfish? Get a nice aquarium. I personally far prefer natural ponds, with their dark, secret waters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stigura wrote: »
    If it's a pond, as I'm guessing it is, I'd go with a wildlife pond. Forget goldfish. Just let nature populate it.

Reasoning is that, with ornamental fish, ye quite naturally gonna want to see them. This will lead to a big filter system, very much like I happen to have just bought. But, mine's for a turtle. Different again.

But, such a system, while allowing ye crystal clear water, will really allow ye just that. Sparkling, clear water. With ye fish in it. Practically anything else will be sucked out of that pond and 'filtered'.

Worms. Water fleas. Larvae. Anything. Want goldfish? Get a nice aquarium. I personally far prefer natural ponds, with their dark, secret waters :)

Clear water makes it easier for the birds to swallow all the fish too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If its just a water pond, I've just completed one, if your lucky enough to have a mini digger on site use it. I physically dug out 13ft x 9ft and 2ft deep with one section 3ft deep. Took 3 weeks of back breaking work.

I decided to put a 2inch concrete floor in, smooth finish, just for support but not necessary. However insure hole has smooth finish and if possible compact soil. Depth is entirely up to you but a minimum of 2ft would be advised and deeper if possible.

I've an abundance of sandstone local so built a surround about 1ft in height all around. You could use decorative stone, brick etc.

It's important however to insure you build the surround wall in advance of fiilling with water and laying pond liner and a minimum height of 1ft, this allows you to fold the pond liner over when pond filled. I just used another layer of flat sandstone to cover over spare liner and hold in place.

I ordered the pond liner with underlay (very important), when ordering need to be generous, cost with free delivery €40 (4 x 3 metres).

I've yet to decide, plants, fish or combo, probably too late so will leave just water for winter period.

Invest in good pump and cleaning net.

PM me if you want a picture :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Sorry should have explained better, it's actually a swimming pool approx 4m x 8m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I honestly don't think this country is warm enough for an unheated outdoor swimming pool.

I have a couple of friends in SE England with heated outdoor pools and they describe them as "a great big hole you fill with money". And England seems to be a good few degrees warmer than even the SE of Ireland the last few summers. The heatwaves don't make it over the Irish sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just taken out a pool of that size from the garden of a house I bought recently. It had been in about 16 years and while still sound and waterproof it needed a lot of work and expense to make it usable.

The deciders for taking it out were

- the level of work involved in maintaining it on a seasonal basis. Once it has been cleaned, sorted and reinstated for the summer (which takes about a week) it has to be maintained, which involved keeping the pump running at least 50% of the time for the season. You will also have to do maintenance over the season to check chemical levels, remove leaves and grot, keep covering and uncovering the pool between uses. Then at the end of the season you have to do a de-commissioning for the winter.

- your house insurance will be affected.

- you have to remember that you have a permanent deep body of water that has to be fenced off and secure from random children wandering into your garden.

- you will need a properly installed power supply and water supply. (Edit, actually a hose will do for a water supply).

- you will need some sort of covered provision for the pump (either beside the pool, and frost proof) or elsewhere and you haul it out when needed.

- you will almost certainly need some sort of decking or patio with the pool.

- at the moment (possibly covid related) its difficult to get parts and equipment for pools (I was looking for a new ladder and they were out of stock everywhere, unless you were prepared to pay around £600 plus transport from the UK).

Just try and figure out how often you would use a pool through the summer to be worth all this effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbf this dutch mom did a superb job.

I will inform you now it may be additive viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v4XTKVaAHI

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

listermint wrote: »
    tbf this dutch mom did a superb job.

I will inform you now it may be additive viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v4XTKVaAHI

At 33 minutes that guys hands get waaaay closer to that cutter blade than I'd like! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

awec wrote: »
    At 33 minutes that guys hands get waaaay closer to that cutter blade than I'd like! :eek:

LOL. At least he's wearing a bloodproof cape so his clothes won't get stained.

image.png

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lumen wrote: »
    LOL. At least he's wearing a bloodproof cape so his clothes won't get stained.

image.png

And the red guard will prevent his finger flying up and smacking him in the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

Nicole just made my dick wither and drop off!

That woman is Way past absolutely astonishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

That lady did a great job; as for H & S those tile cutting wet saws have a continuous rim diamond blade. Obviously not best practice but I've seen worse work practices with more dangerous tools!

Advertisement