Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 advice please

Options
  • 15-09-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all , I just bought a canyon endurace 8.0 disc with Di2 with a little help from BTW. I’m just wondering how I can look at the set up on phone/tablet/laptop . I hooked the junction A up to laptop but it didn’t work , likewise with iPhone it wouldn’t pair . Has anyone any experience of this , I would love some direction on it .
    Many thanks

Comments

jimmyging wrote: »
    Hi all , I just bought a canyon endurace 8.0 disc with Di2 with a little help from BTW. I’m just wondering how I can look at the set up on phone/tablet/laptop . I hooked the junction A up to laptop but it didn’t work , likewise with iPhone it wouldn’t pair . Has anyone any experience of this , I would love some direction on it .
    Many thanks

You need to add an extra piece of kit to get it to pair with the Di2 app on a phone. But if you download the app on to a laptop you can connect to it via the usb cable

It takes a while for the pc to recognise it when you connect it though, so be a bit patient. When it is working, you can play around with the set up and apparently set it so it kind of semi automatic. I can never get it to work though.

The add on piece for connecting to the phone app involves cutting the wires and for me that seems a bit too technical. It looks like a good upgrade though as you can then connect it to your computer and use the buttons on the hoods to change the menu I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Don’t cut any wires !!! From a windows laptop you need to download the E-TUBE app and the connect it using the usb. Don’t worry about using the phone as it involves the dfly unit which does the same thing as the pc will do except it uses Bluetooth as the connection. Use the PC interface for now until you get to know how to configure it. Use the PC to charge the battery when needed.

There are loads of YouTube videos to help you get to grips with it

I'm ignorant re: Di2 I've rode a bike with it twice but to me this is something you'd imagine you should be able to do from head units in this day and age :confused:

I'm sure there are 'reasons' this isn't possible non of which favour the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

It's easy enough to connect to, I've the same bike as you just the cf slx version and I just use the laptop with the software installed and use the cable from the charger to plug into the di2 junction.
    You could fit the dfly unit at the rear derailleur if you wanted to use a phone or tablet to access the di2, just unplug the derailleur, plug that cable into the dfly and then a short cable from the dfly to the derailleur and you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Thanks all you all have a wealth of info ..!back to the laptop so .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Also note that Di2 needs at least 1amp of power to charge, and that some laptops don’t provide enough power.
    You should use a phone or tablet charger if your battery doesn’t seem to be charging from your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Aegir wrote: »
    You need to add an extra piece of kit to get it to pair with the Di2 app on a phone. But if you download the app on to a laptop you can connect to it via the usb cable

It takes a while for the pc to recognise it when you connect it though, so be a bit patient. When it is working, you can play around with the set up and apparently set it so it kind of semi automatic. I can never get it to work though.

The add on piece for connecting to the phone app involves cutting the wires and for me that seems a bit too technical. It looks like a good upgrade though as you can then connect it to your computer and use the buttons on the hoods to change the menu I believe.

I'm sorry but you really should refrain from offering information when you clearly haven't a clue what your talking about.

It does not take a while for the PC to recognise the groupset, it should be almost instantaneous.

You can change between modes (semi-synchro, full synchro or manual) using the button on Junction A, you do not need to do it on a laptop/phone.

You do not need to cut wires for adding anything...ever. Everything is plug and play. If you want to add the EW-WU111 for connecting to your garmin/wahoo then you simply add it in line with an existing connection (usually between the battery and the junction box B in the bottom bracket.

I'm sorry but you really should refrain from offering information when you clearly haven't a clue what your talking about.

It does not take a while for the PC to recognise the groupset, it should be almost instantaneous.

You can change between modes (semi-synchro, full synchro or manual) using the button on Junction A, you do not need to do it on a laptop/phone.

You do not need to cut wires for adding anything...ever. Everything is plug and play. If you want to add the EW-WU111 for connecting to your garmin/wahoo then you simply add it in line with an existing connection (usually between the battery and the junction box B in the bottom bracket.

sorry, I thought adding the d-fly unit involved cutting wires, it is plugging and unplugging cables. my bad. I wasn't telling the OP to start cutting wires, so it isn't like I was giving advice.

Min takes about thirty seconds to reognise the groupset, which in today's world seems like an age.

I'm ignorant re: Di2 I've rode a bike with it twice but to me this is something you'd imagine you should be able to do from head units in this day and age :confused:

I'm sure there are 'reasons' this isn't possible non of which favour the consumer.

the only logic I can see is that it is add on that Shimano can charge for.

You are effectively paying €75 for a very simple blue tooth connector that doesn't even come with a cable!

There seems to be 2 units the EW-WU111 (which CYC recommended )or the EW-WU101 .I cant tell which one is compatible for my bike .I have an ultegra 8050 and it says on the chainreaction website that the 101 is compatible with the 8050 .I'm lost again ...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

There seems to be 2 units the EW-WU111 (which CYC recommended )or the EW-WU101 .I cant tell which one is compatible for my bike .I have an ultegra 8050 and it says on the chainreaction website that the 101 is compatible with the 8050 .I'm lost again ...!

You don’t need to buy a wireless unit to connect. Just use your laptop and the charger / cables provided.

The WU111 is an upgrade on the 101 and would work fine. But you don’t need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you’re thinking of getting the wireless adapter, make sure your head unit is also compatible. I was considering it, but my Edge 800 won’t support it, so I’d be wasting my time.
    The wireless unit is around €80 and you need to buy a cable as well. It plugs in anywhere on your system so no need to cut anything. A lot of people put it by the battery in the seat post.
    My system comes up on the laptop fairly quickly so maybe you need to update the firmware. The e-tube software is fairly simple to use I found

I emailed canyon today to confirm which wireless unit I needed and where it goes and it goes just under the handlebars apparently so I’ve ordered it so I can pair with garmin 520 as I would like to use the extra buttons on the top of the brake shifters to see even more data ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

I emailed canyon today to confirm which wireless unit I needed and where it goes and it goes just under the handlebars apparently so I’ve ordered it so I can pair with garmin 520 as I would like to use the extra buttons on the top of the brake shifters to see even more data ...
    Which unit did they recommend?

jamesd wrote: »
    Which unit did they recommend?

The 111

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The 111

The WU111 can go anywhere. It doesn’t specifically go under the handlebars, in fact that’s probably the last place I’d put it as there is already a junction box there and adding it would simply create a mess of unnecessary wires. If your battery is in the seat post then add it into the seat tube.

When you buy the unit you also need to buy an additional short wire (think 15cm is the shortest you can get) You then unplug the wire going into the battery, plug in your new wire, plug the WU111 into it and then the wire you unplugged from the battery into the other end of the 111 unit.

Advertisement