Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting the house

• 12-09-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

I am looking for a good basic primer to use before painting the house. Any suggestions, recommendations, tips? Where did you buy?

Regarding the masonry paint, which brand did you go for, and which shop did you use (or did you buy online) ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Interior or exterior primer? for what type of surface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

dok_golf wrote: »
    Interior or exterior primer? for what type of surface?

exterior

my house is plastered over concrete blocks stone wall and old paint is falling off (will pressure wash it to get rid of all loose paint)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Why do you need a primer.

Could I just paint the house without the primer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kala85 wrote: »

Exactly, my ranch was in a similar state, peeling paint etc. Wire brushed off most of the peeling paint and just painted it Dulux weathershield it looks fantastic. Gave it a second coat this year using the paint that was left and it's perfect. I think previous painters might have been skimping on the ole outdoor paint in the past.

• Advertisement

€100 (10ltrs) to prime a regular house. New plaster, previously badly painted/peeling paintwork, it's great stuff. I've painted a few houses for friends/family and I'm amazed at how good and solid the paint still looks many years after. It provides a superb key for the topcoat and reduces greatly the effort you have to put in with powerwasher/scraper on substandard surfaces

Give it a good power wash to remove flaking paint. Add Owatrol E-B into first coat. Job done,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Triboro

Give it a good power wash to remove flaking paint. Add Owatrol E-B into first coat. Job done,

Would that Owatrol be used in a house getting its first painting?
    Nap plaster finish but plastered a good few years now!

Triboro wrote: »
    Would that Owatrol be used in a house getting its first painting?
    Nap plaster finish but plastered a good few years now!

Not necessary in this case, just water down first coat and continue then with full strength coats on top. Hit it with fungicide first if you sport any red/green on the plaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Triboro

Good advice,thanks.

• Advertisement

Doc, mix ratio of the E-B ?

10:1 as far as I remember. Tbh, I just throw in a good dollop :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Can I just paint on to concrete on the wall or do I need primer

Also I had the walls pumped as well and was wondering if there is a good way of painting over the holes that were filled so that they don't show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've painted my house outside and in (more times than I'd like but the labour is the right price..) and used every brand under the sun.
    Long story short, you won't go far wrong with Fleetwood, it's now my go to for inside and outside, wood , masonry and metal. May be a bit more expensive but if it delays having to redo the blasted job next time by a year or two it's money well spent.
    Its an Irish company too which is an added bonus. If you are near the south of Dublin "Stillorgan Decor" is the place to go, brilliant advice and the amount of lads obviously in the trade buying there is reassurance that the staff know what they are talking about.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I have always used Colortrend. I get seven years on the first painting (1 primer coat and 2 color coats) which was brilliant. I used their primer as it was a new house. I find the paint excellent and holds the color. I suppose everyone has different ideas.

Can I just paint on to concrete on the wall or do I need primer

Also I had the walls pumped as well and was wondering if there is a good way of painting over the holes that were filled so that they don't show up.

The insulation filler will show up no matter what. With regards to non painted exterior walls, provided they are in good condition, dilute your first coat by 30 - 40%. After that use full strength coats

Advertisement