Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David's going Dairying.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

And David don't give up on that plantain and chicory.
    Drill in some clover or broadcast and slurry.
    Your protein went down. But I bet the litres stayed up or increased ever so slightly and I'd say the cows looked more content.

Milk protein % payments were only brought in to reward the nitrogen sellers. :pac:
    Get the clovers in and they'll do the same job and the plantains and chicory will buffer it better against bloat.

Yes the litres went up and cows we're very happy. I forgot to add I will keep with it. There is clover mixed through the sward.

Two other little bits. I know a person was asking about algae growing on concrete because of the clear roof. As you can see algae grows where the cow aren't standing. There is some growing in the pit but not as bad. I recently power washed the parlor to clean it up. I'd rather deal with the algae rather than a dark parlor personally.

One thing I would change is the mangers. They are Alfco mangers, not Delaval. The reason I don't like them is meal builds up in the inside corner of the manger and the noise off meal hitting 16 mangers is deafening. The cows are unable to lick them out. The meal that is left behind is mixed with cows saliva and it creates a hard crust. This builds up over time and goes mouldy. The holes to allow water to drain away are too small. I redrilled one with a larger bit and it made a big difference. I only remembered take a picture when I was nearly finished, this one isn't too bad compared to the worst mangers and this isn't my first time cleaning them out either. The Delval manger is a round bowl so the meal can't build up anywhere.

Pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Protein drops have more to do with energy in the diet, not protein in the diet. Next time they are in there keep an eye on the lactose results, should be a good indicator of energy this year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Would a small bit of rubber mat added to the trough dead out the sound in any way

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would a small bit of rubber mat added to the trough dead out the sound in any way

I'm going to get a piece off an old conveyor belt and try it out. I'm just worried would tech screws hurt the cows noses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Is there wire in the conveyor belt? Avoid if there is. An old cubicle mat will be thinner than a new one and if cut to the right shape could be glued in. Or you might be able to tighten a coach bolt on the rubber. Tec screws are very sharp for a place they're eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I'm going to get a piece off an old conveyor belt and try it out. I'm just worried would tech screws hurt the cows noses

Is most of the noise when the nuts are dropping. Maybe the rubber on the sloped surface under the feeder pipe. By the way you can get all different types of tec screw head inculduing a flat pan head. Has to be driven with a PZ tip

• Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Spray the area with the alge with copper sulphate. This should stop it building backup. Another option is to dress that area with hydrated lime.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Two other little bits. I know a person was asking about algae growing on concrete because of the clear roof. As you can see algae grows where the cow aren't standing. There is some growing in the pit but not as bad. I recently power washed the parlor to clean it up. I'd rather deal with the algae rather than a dark parlor personally.

One thing I would change is the mangers. They are Alfco mangers, not Delaval. The reason I don't like them is meal builds up in the inside corner of the manger and the noise off meal hitting 16 mangers is deafening. The cows are unable to lick them out. The meal that is left behind is mixed with cows saliva and it creates a hard crust. This builds up over time and goes mouldy. The holes to allow water to drain away are too small. I redrilled one with a larger bit and it made a big difference. I only remembered take a picture when I was nearly finished, this one isn't too bad compared to the worst mangers and this isn't my first time cleaning them out either. The Delval manger is a round bowl so the meal can't build up anywhere.

We have same mangers here, can't say any of that is an issue for ours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

The alfco mangers are designed to discourage you from feeding too much meal!! 😂 Fair noise off them alright, we're after getting used to it. Was advised against putting in rubber to deaden the sound as nuts will bounce out onto the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Have the same mangers here too. You get used to the noise. Actually I thinks it helps bring the row in. As for the design shape of the manger personally I like it because i think it keeps the cow occupied for longer rooting around the corners trying to get the last morsel of ration.
    Btw. Where did you get your dairy doors. They look good.
    Also do you have any trouble reading the indicators with all that natural light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

It might sit there without any tex screws, or else tec 7 glue.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Have the same mangers here too. You get used to the noise. Actually I thinks it helps bring the row in. As for the design shape of the manger personally I like it because i think it keeps the cow occupied for longer rooting around the corners trying to get the last morsel of ration.
    Btw. Where did you get your dairy doors. They look good.
    Also do you have any trouble reading the indicators with all that natural light.

I got the doors off a company called diary Hygiene. They have ad's on done deal. No issues so far reading meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I got the doors off a company called diary Hygiene. They have ad's on done deal. No issues so far reading meters.

Are ya going to keep at the contracting?

Are ya going to keep at the contracting?

Yes I will until I get fed up with it.

Phase two has begun. A bit later than I planned with weather but it is what it is. We are putting in a 120ft tank and feed barriers. I decided back in July to buy extra straw and try work with that for a few years until cash flow is stronger. I also bought extra incalf heifers so I'll be at my capacity in 2 years time rather than 4. I'll go through how my first year has been in a while. It was my first time on boards in a LONG time so I decided I'd update this thread.

The tank is in over a week now. Its total length is 120ft by 9ft deep and a 16ft 6 grooved slat will go on top. The barrels fill concrete are there to take the pillars that will carry the shed when I extend it out over the tank. They are sitting on the found of the tank. I'll pour another base of concrete on top of the barrels and stop 1ft from the top of the slats. I'll then bolt the pillars to the base of concrete and fill in around them with more concrete. I will put in smaller bases in between each barrel at the front for the pillars that will carry the feed barriers.

My plan is to put up feed barriers on the left hand side with a feed apron extending out 10ft. I will put in a stub wall and put the barrier on top of it. On the right hand side I will put a slab of concrete going from the back of the tank to the front of the shed and I'll put a slight fall towards the tank so any water can flow into the tank.

Towards the front of the tank where I am standing. I will run an 8ft hight wall off the pillar at the front of the shed over the tank and up to the top side of the apron. This will act as a barrier for the wind and I can load old silage off the wall also. I'll see how I go on straw for this year.

I dried off the first few cows today. It went well with very little kicking. I used cepravin dry cow tubes and cepravin sealers also. I then used T-HEXX DRY external sealer on the teats. I will put them out on a bare paddock for a few days before I house them.

I presume you’re planning on putting cubicles on down the line David?

It sounds like it’s going to be similar to what we have here

think we’re friends in facebook?

have a look at my Facebook and you’ll see how ours turned out

we have grooved slats on one tank here and I won’t get them again tbh, they don’t clean aswell as normal slats, can’t say they’ve any more grip over normal slats too

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

That's a big excavator for a farm, looks like you hit rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Yes down the line I will put in cubicles. When the job is fully done it will a U shaped tank and feed barriers with 130 cubicles in the shed. I decided to go with the grooved ones as I have them on the collecting yard tank.

It's a 70 tonne Hitachi digger that was brought up from the quarry. Hit rock after 1ft of digging. That digger had the power to dig it straight out of the ground. There was a 21 tonne with a breaker to break out the corners at the end but other than that the rest was dug out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭green daries

Is it yere own digger David as in do ye run a quary yourself ( or other family etc ) just wondering Is all . ( I suppose nosyness 😁😬)

No, my parents own the land but there is another person who rented the quarry from them and operates it. They own the diggers and he dug out the tanks. I'm very lucky to have them there, otherwise I'd have massive digger bill because all the rock would have to be broken out

Ya definitely very lucky as they say every little helps 😁

On an aside but related I suppose the quarry is a good help for all involved( I'm presuming) to have the extra income stream for your parents and it's probably helpful for a couple of reasons as in for freeing you up for on farm investment and giving your parents a bit of peace of mind kinda leading up to retirement plans ( it can be a fraught and costly time on a farm on top of your building investment etc) and the substantial machinery being nearby and the good Will to do the job 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Having said that the value of crushed stone that comes out cannot be underestimated either. When I did my shed in 2008/9 I had to get a good bit of stone broken out. I think it as an a 40 or 50 ton digger. He charged about 7k Inc vat at the time but I only bought 2'' down and 804 for under the silage slab and for under the shed. It was 2/3 of the tank area

You get extra for digging out stone and I got extra for area under slab that had to be risen . I think at the time it made up 20-30% of the digging out cost. There was area's around the shed that had to be risen as well.

I see a lad that is doing a shed at present. Because the ground was clay/gravel the sides had to be sloped at about 55 degree. This all now needs to be filled in. He will see no change out of 5-6k in stone

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It makes a huge difference if the parents are independent, We had to build a house for the parents and then pay a nursing home, right through the time of 20% interest, You couldn't foresee it

I was aware of the quarry for years, so knew it'd be an easy decision for him,

Ya it's has a huge bearing on the direction and strength of the farm development of there is another income stream. wether big or small it really helps to smooth out the transition

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most of my relations would be worse off if I gave them the farm, they were all set up in life so better left alone.

You could say, I supoose, they could sell it , but sure I could do that myself

• Advertisement

Why do you need stone to back fill it ? We’ve back filled every tank here with what was left from digging out

I would agree on having stone in the yard is no bad thing. We did a 150x 18ft 6 tank this year, took 24t digger 5 days to dig, 3 of those days were on the first 1/3 on hard rock

covered 1km of roadways for us, was delighted

Advertisement