Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 bay slatted shed costs 2017/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

tanko wrote: »
    Have you considered a three bay shed, it mightnt cost all that much more and you would have an extra bay.
    I said wrote: »
    Was considering a 2 bay will go for the grant and build a three bay now for the extra space as the saying goes rather have it and be looking at it rather than looking for it.

A two bay shed is not that economical to build, it is only about 20-30% more expensive to throw up an extra bay

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A two bay shed is not that economical to build, it is only about 20-30% more expensive to throw up an extra bay

You always a great man for the figures!
    Off the top of your head what's the percentage increase to go from 3 to 4bay? 15 to 20%??? Cheers

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    You always a great man for the figures!
    Off the top of your head what's the percentage increase to go from 3 to 4bay? 15 to 20%??? Cheers

I calculateda lot of these figures 6-8 years ago. Cannot remember exactly but around 20%. It varies a little on size of slats and overall size of shed including creep area. When going from 2-3 and from 3-4 bays you only need one row of steel. If a contractor is on site he will virtually charge nothing extra to lay concrete in a bigger area. While a 2 bay tank in general will be poured in one go a 3 bay+ will in general require two pours of concrete. However tank floor, feed passages etc will cost nothing extra. You only need two beams for a 4 bay as opposed to a two bay shed etc

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

I have an internal crush planned as part of my 3 bay slatted shed. I want to make this crush as long as possible but I also want to ensure that the each ends of the crush are not too close to the gables of the shed.

Anyone have any input here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Toplink wrote: »
    I have an internal crush planned as part of my 3 bay slatted shed. I want to make this crush as long as possible but I also want to ensure that the each ends of the crush are not too close to the gables of the shed.

I find that unless a long crush has solid sides, it is very hard to fill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Toplink wrote: »

If you're going for the Grant there's a specification now that gate at front of crush must be a minimum distance from wall facing it - not sure what it is exactly but think it's realistically one full bay. For the back of the crush, we have a crush where the last section is a gate which swings in and bolts back to wall then - works very well as also acts as a funnel to get them into crush when open.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Paddydans wrote: »
    Will send on a few pics later in the week
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Just read the whole thread and there's not one full cost for the 3 bay as per op question.

Would it be in the €30 - 40k region assuming green field site?

Dunedin wrote: »
    Just read the whole thread and there's not one full cost for the 3 bay as per op question.

Would it be in the €30 - 40k region assuming green field site?

It is very hard to give an exact quote. Factors such as dept of tank, length of slats, (type of ground rock to be broken maybe) creep area will all influence cost. As well finish will also influence, barrier type, gates, crush...layout of calving pens maybe, type of sheeting height of roof etc. You also have to factor in bells and whistles that a lad may choose to incoporate into the shed

Best way of getting a ballpark figure is to go through the department specified costs and calculate from that. However at a rough guess a 3 bay should be capable of being build for sub 30K including vat. Vat will be about 11-13% of total cost.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

It is very hard to give an exact quote. Factors such as dept of tank, length of slats, (type of ground rock to be broken maybe) creep area will all influence cost. As well finish will also influence, barrier type, gates, crush...layout of calving pens maybe, type of sheeting height of roof etc. You also have to factor in bells and whistles that a lad may choose to incoporate into the shed

Best way of getting a ballpark figure is to go through the department specified costs and calculate from that. However at a rough guess a 3 bay should be capable of being build for sub 30K including vat. Vat will be about 11-13% of total cost.

Fully agree that price will depend on what exactly you build and fit out. For a sucker shed though with decent pen size, lie back, creep gates, crush, lighting etc and without doing lot of the work yourself - I'd be budgeting 40K plus the Vat to have it all done.

• Advertisement

Fully agree that price will depend on what exactly you build and fit out. For a sucker shed though with decent pen size, lie back, creep gates, crush, lighting etc and without doing lot of the work yourself - I'd be budgeting 40K plus the Vat to have it all done.

Cannot see how asuckler 3 bay unit should cost 45Kish inc vat. Seem an awful lot of money for the unit but not up on present building costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

In the process of putting in a 65ft tank, 14"6' slat, 4 span leanto type shed (moving 3 spans of existing side galvanise) and 24 cublices with mats and it will be 43-45k I reckon by the time its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddydans

From the figures I've been reading and hearing from different places, I'd be hoping to have all ground work, trunking, digging out and tank with slats on for about 18-20 000. Rock shouldn't be a problem, concrete would be more expensive than other areas but that can't be helped. Would that price sound about right??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Hi Im not sure on this but..so asking forvadvice...

I am building a slatted shed under TAMS 2..im a part time farmer.

So can i claim back the vat for the shed under tams 2? I have cattle only(mosly finishing cattle some sold back at mart. (No dairy, sheep etc.). I think I just need to fill out the form from revenue and send it off and i should be able to get the vat back?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Hi Im not sure on this but..so asking forvadvice...

I am building a slatted shed under TAMS 2..im a part time farmer.

So can i claim back the vat for the shed under tams 2? I have cattle only(mosly finishing cattle some sold back at mart. (No dairy, sheep etc.). I think I just need to fill out the form from revenue and send it off and i should be able to get the vat back?

Thanks
    Yeah You'll get all the vat back as long as Your paperwork is in good order i.e. Name and address is right, invoices are stamped paid, dates are correct etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Paddydans wrote: »
    From the figures I've been reading and hearing from different places, I'd be hoping to have all ground work, trunking, digging out and tank with slats on for about 18-20 000. Rock shouldn't be a problem, concrete would be more expensive than other areas but that can't be helped. Would that price sound about right??

Yeah I'd say You'd get a four bay tank done for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DonAndy1

lads, just bouncing on this thread, as im in the process of doing a shed.
    currently changing to sucklers from finishing.
    in the pictures attached, i have a 3 bay slatted shed with centre agitation point.
    thinking of putting a 3 bay dry lying shed up to the front of it.
    have the shed priced fairly keen to erect, and il do most of the other work myself.
    am now thinking should i put it at right angle to near side instead, and leave it as open as possible, as i need to get access to centre agitation point.
    too much work to move the agitation point, and im hampered with a drive through because of leanto.
    thoughts? or anyone got plans for something similar

sorry pics attached here

434709.jpg

434710.jpg

434711.jpg

I can send you on plans of few different sheds if you want them- I do planning applications for teagasc.

Tyson, id be interested in having a look at a few plans if you have or wouldnt mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It is dangerous enough to have Ag. point where it is But if you block off all ventilation with another shed in front it will be lethal to agitate

• Advertisement

DonAndy1 wrote: »
    lads, just bouncing on this thread, as im in the process of doing a shed.
    currently changing to sucklers from finishing.
    in the pictures attached, i have a 3 bay slatted shed with centre agitation point.
    thinking of putting a 3 bay dry lying shed up to the front of it.
    have the shed priced fairly keen to erect, and il do most of the other work myself.
    am now thinking should i put it at right angle to near side instead, and leave it as open as possible, as i need to get access to centre agitation point.
    too much work to move the agitation point, and im hampered with a drive through because of leanto.
    thoughts? or anyone got plans for something similar

As a matter of interest whay are you changing from finishing to sucklers. I imagine that you want the straw bedded for calving cows. Will you need three pens. Straw is also getting more expensive all the time. Are rubber mats on two bays and a small tank an option under third bay and scrape into it an option.

Slava Ukrainii

would be putting vented sheeting on back wall and also spaced sheeting on roof.....

yes good idea, i was thingking of having a good slope on the floor with a pipe going to the slatted shed.
    have access to straw and also access to peat, so considering both options,
    probably but a kerb in across the middle to stop them dragging peat/straw down to the feed area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

Seen a she'd done before that had every second gang slat was solid with rubber matting. This was done as a calf creep area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don Andy what is to the left of the first picture? Could you put a really wide, say 25 foot feed passage then put the new shed parallel to the existing slatted shed?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Ideally sheds should face Northeast after that North or East. I place the new shed with reference to that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

for you info folks i got departments cost to do a 3 bay open shed with creep departments costs = 43700 + vat also got costs for the same shed closed = 47800 + vat all included as far as i know

i have sent plans to contractor to price at grant spec so see what he comes back with

nothing to the left only green field, however i have a lot of fill to take it up to the level of the existing shed, could be 3ft difference.
    i was thinking of
    1 - go at right angle to existing shed on the far side (at out door drinker side)
    2 - face it towards existing shed, keeping it as you say 25 - 30 ft apart, and not tie in the roof, so essentially 2 seperate buildings.....
    any suggestions or plans?

i still have a number of bullocks for finihsing, and am probably just goingto keep 12/15 cows, and bring all their progeny to slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

kerb wrote: »
    for you info folks i got departments cost to do a 3 bay open shed with creep departments costs = 43700 + vat also got costs for the same shed closed = 47800 + vat all included as far as i know

i have sent plans to contractor to price at grant spec so see what he comes back with

Would be very interested to see if anyone has actually done the full costing comparison between grant spec and doing shed yourself. I appreciate it might not be exactly like for like but within reason.

Advertisement