Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Yesterday I thought the swarm has calmed a bit but last night the people of Grinda­vík (southwest of the area) got scared by a string of stronger earthquakes of 4 and higher, one reached 5.0. What we know so far is that scientists believe that it was caused by the magma channel that has already been formed between Fagradalsfjall and Keilir and is pushing between them in the crust and increases the tension on the crust elsewhere, also west of Fagradalsfjall all the way to Grindavík.

After a few more calm days there were again some more earthquakes > 3 up to 5.1 overnight.
    Scientists said yesterday evening that the magma chamber is 7 km long 1m wide and has expanded 2-3 km to the south, where the hotter part now is just 1 km below the surface. At the bottom of the magma chamber, at a depth of about five kilometers, there is a channel and from there flows about 15 to 20 cubic meters per second upwards. "Small earthquakes, a small pulse of unrest and there could be an eruption almost at very short notice, I think, "says Freysteinn, geophysicist at the University of Iceland Institute of Earth Sciences. https://www.ruv.is/frett/2021/03/09/getur-gosid-an-fyrirboda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

just saw below earthquake 3.3 on the live cams in the second link...camera shaking..watched then went and checked incase the tired eyes were playing tricks.. amazing scenery..shame I was on mobile i couldnt post quicker but it was kind of mesmerizing watching in real time :D

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/quake-info/6153896/mag3quake-Mar-12-2021-ICELAND-REGION.html

Two live cams link

https://grapevine.is/news/2021/03/12/seismic-roundup-livestreams-of-possible-eruption-site-quakes-over-3-0-magnitude-continue/?steady_tried_to_set_safari_fix_cookie=true

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

“Eruption confirmed at Fagradalsfjall mountain”

Per Iceland Geology Blog on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Livestream in approximate area:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

pad199207 wrote: »
    What a view!

I agree! I find it calming to watch the so far soft eruption.
    Saw an airplane flying directly above the magma current several times.
    It is somewhat peaceful but toxic gas could be brought with the southwesterly wind close to Reykjavik.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are these helicoptors scientific or tourism related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What a view!

If you fullscreen it, you can see people on the right side of the flow getting very close to it. They should have a good think about what recently happened to the cruise ship passengers in New Zealand.

Water John wrote: »
    Are these helicoptors scientific or tourism related?

Zero tourism allowed. Civil Defense is controlling the area. The scientists try to take samples from the lava to evaluate where the magma enters the magma chamber. Technicians and geoscientists are also measuring near the eruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has the fissure become a little more active?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah looking noticeably more active. Although it's getting darker as well which could be adding to the effect. Fair few hams on that hill alright, exillerating no doubt but fairly stupid overall youd have to think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Has the fissure become a little more active?

Looks more active then when I saw it this morning, seems to be spewing out magma with more force .Getting darker though too so glow off the magma standing out more. The scientists nearby not too perturbed by it and felt safe enough to land a helicopter and turn off the engine :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looks more active then when I saw it this morning, seems to be spewing out magma with more force .Getting darker though too so glow off the magma standing out more. The scientists nearby not too perturbed by it and felt safe enough to land a helicopter and turn off the engine :pac:

Defintely more active now than when i was watching earlier. Quiet spectacular to watch it spew higher and higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Geologyhub on youtube has just put up a video on this eruption. I Highly recommend his channel as he puts up videos on volcanoes around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Check out lightning top left of previous webcam right now!

What could possibly go wrong?

_110074769_capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

waterways wrote: »
    Zero tourism allowed. Civil Defense is controlling the area. The scientists try to take samples from the lava to evaluate where the magma enters the magma chamber. Technicians and geoscientists are also measuring near the eruption.
    There seems to be lots of tourists there atm. Plenty of people walking by the camera and plenty of lights on the mountain on the far side of eruption.
    Maybe the civil defense have gone to the leaba?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭quodec

Pretty active now with a couple of smaller side fissure also spewing magma. That livecam is mesmeric viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Skyhunter wrote: »

why are all those people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There seems to be lots of tourists there atm. Plenty of people walking by the camera and plenty of lights on the mountain on the far side of eruption.
    Maybe the civil defense have gone to the leaba?

It is a pretty little tourist eruption but not really safe to have a night walk there. :o
    Police said last night they counted 300 cars parked along the streets and its a long night walk but hey with that magical disco ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

waterways wrote: »
    It is a pretty little tourist eruption but not really safe to have a night walk there. :o
    Police said last night they counted 300 cars parked along the streets and its a long night walk but hey with that magical disco ball?

so a bit like the Dublin Mountains when an inch of snow falls and everyone head up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gamergurll

Maybe I've watched too many disaster movies and they've made me stupid 😂 those people just casually standing around by the crater and lava is shooting over their heads.. They don't seem too bothered?
    Skyhunter wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gamergurll wrote: »
    Maybe I've watched too many disaster movies and they've made me stupid 😂 those people just casually standing around by the crater and lava is shooting over their heads.. They don't seem too bothered?

Yeah!!! Astonishing! Great footage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No choppers landing today! At least not in the foreground.

Gamergurll wrote: »
    Maybe I've watched too many disaster movies and they've made me stupid �� those people just casually standing around by the crater and lava is shooting over their heads.. They don't seem too bothered?

A lot of that footage was shot with a long focal length lens which tends to foreshorten distances, so waht appears to be over their heads is severl hundred metres behind them. The drone/chopper footage shows it better.

• Advertisement

People were asked to move to the hillsides this morning, luckily before part of the crater gave way for a new lava flow

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2021/03/21/gigbarmurinn-gefur-sig-og-ny-hraunrennslisaed-myndast

Many people are close to the magma this evening. The wind is easing. It is a closed valley and there is a lot gas. Would like to see people going a bit more up the hill.

Advertisement