Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards GS - Captains Prize - Dromoland Castle 12th September 2020 - 12:00

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Something came up and I've to spin to cork saturday morning. I should be back for tee time but small chance I'll be late.

Can switch you to a late tee slot if that helps?

Hi All,

We've had one more late drop-out. Have it all cleared with Dromoland.

Tee Time|Player 1|HCP|Player 2|HCP|Player 3|HCP|Player 4|HCP
    12:00|Slave1|11|Princess Poppy|18|Paulos53|10
    12:12|CharlieIRL|21|Golfnut203|4|Brian Rossiter|11
    12:24|Alanm|6|Seve OB|11|Rickis Tache|15
    12:36|Woodyg|22|Benny79|18|OffalyMedic|12|Break80|14
    12:48|Kieran.|17|Ballyk|16|Tigerwood1|18|Doublecross|6
    13:00|Spacecoyote|8|Rossyd2005|9|The Big Easy|19|Snackbox20|16

Note, I've switched Doublecross & Golfnut203 on the sheet to give Doublecross some extra wiggle room on time. Kieran.'s time switched too.

I've always gotten the all clear to play off the WHITE tees tomorrow.

EDIT...Sorry folks switched Benny & Brian Rossiter to keep all the Captains apart :D

Another change, we've lost Princess Poppy for the day. Down to 5 x 4-balls. More prize chances and GOTY points on offer to those still going:

Tee Time|Player 1|HCP|Player 2|HCP|Player 3|HCP|Player 4|HCP
    12:00|Slave1|11|Kieran.|17|Paulos53|10|Brian Rossiter|11
    12:12|CharlieIRL|21|Golfnut203|4|Rickis Tache|15|OffalyMedic|12
    12:24|Alanm|6|Seve OB|11|Break80|14|Woodyg|22
    12:36|Benny79|18|Snackbox20|16|Tigerwood1|18|Doublecross|6
    12:48|Spacecoyote|8|Rossyd2005|9|The Big Easy|19|Ballyk|16

Please note the changes accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Enjoy guys. Really gutted to miss this one. A belter of a course (it belted the hell out of me last time I played it)

Was 2nd in the GOTY runnings recently, now I'll sadly not have enough games to qualify :(

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Damnit. Didn’t spot this until way to late. Enjoy gents. Might be pick clean place (was last weekend) and had a 2 day charity tournament yesterday/today but has been holding up well enough. Good luck on 11 and 16 (my favorites....not) and watch that tree on the 18th (make sense when see it). Should have a prize for one brave enough to go for green in 9th or 10th. I’ll be watching out for you (out later in afternoon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good luck today everyone and safe travels.
    Looking forward to it big time

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Great fun day out in dromoland. Played with charlieirl,Paulo's and woodyg.
    Bad front 9 of only 12 points had Me wondering when would start playing well again.
    Then parred the first 4 holes of the bad nine. Finished with 33 but not in the main comp as only playing as a visitor.
    Good to see the lads again as it's been nearly 4 years since my last outing.
    Course was in good knick considering the rain over the last while but I did find the greens a little slow for my liking......just need to hit it closer I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Just home after a very enjoyable day in Dromoland castle. Had the pleasure of being teamed up with Offaly medic, break80, and Benny. A great group and had a great laugh with you. We started out in the horrors, after the 2nd hole, we only had 1 point between us all. In the end I had 5 bloody scratches but finished respectively (I hope with 28 points.) We got going on the 4th after the crash and the horrible first 3.
    Congrats to Offalymedic on your bomber of a drive on the 12th and well deserved winner.
    Well done Benny on your hard earned or well earned fiver and there are photo proofs :-D :-D
    Well done Break80 on your placed finish and a great hat for next year as captain.
    Well done CharlieIRL, a great score of 32 and a fine skelp of prizes, great job Space for those prizes.
    Space, a brilliant job as captain in such a strange year. All the organising and the courses you have arranged, it has been a pleasure talking part in this society and thank you for welcoming me into this great group.
    Now back and practice ahead of Palmerstown. Look forward to seeing you all :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks for sorting this years Captains weather, better than that lads effort last year:pac:
    Eased the outing off with Kieran, Brian and Golfnut203, some serious drives from the lads but couple of us just stalled on the greens, I never got my first putts close enough, way too many putts in my round, even with 7 pars just not at the races points wise.
    Well done CharlieIRL on the win, bring that baby back to the midlands.
    See y’all in Palmerston, another short course to look forward to...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Will post a proper one tomorrow, but for now just the overall prize winners:

Captains Prize: CharlieIRL
    2nd: Doublecross
    3rd: Alanm
    4th: Rossyd2005
    F9: Break80
    B9: Ballyk
    Long Drive: OffalyMedic
    Nearest The Pin: Paulos
    Past Captains: CharlieIRL
    2s: Doublecross x2, CharlieIRL
    Most Golf: The Big Easy

Overall scores and GOTY table will be up later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was told recently that 30 points was a good score in Dromoland and standing on the 17th tee box I totted up my points, 28, damm, my strong start has deserted me briefly in both 9’s. After a bogie, birdie, bogey start I scratched two holes and thought “well that’s it blown for another year” Settled a bit and played bogie golf for a few holes before another silly scratch had me thinking of jug points more than anything. Back to the 17th, I hit the sweetest 8 iron of my life to leave me only a few foot from the hole and thankfully I sank the putt, my first two and I broke 30 points. I honestly didn’t think it would be near enough and even all the encouragement from Benny in the clubhouse (and side bet) I still didn’t think it was enough. It was only after Space said in second place with 31 points, I nearly exploded with joy!! It’s been a long time since I was at the business end of an outing but to win Captains, wow, what an honour. After jealously watching everyone win over the last 7/8 years I though I’d never win one.
    We must say a huge huge congratulations to Space for the year he has put in, it was the most trying, frustrating and yet an excellent year all rolled into one. Well done. Looking forward to Palmerstown if my driver behaves, it didn’t today!!
    Absolutely chuffed to bits here.
    The very best of luck to our incoming captain as well, was he announced on boards yet? I’ll leave space to do the honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

You sure it was a 8 iron?? I hit 5i to 6 feet and missed the putt story of my day! But i wouldn't be a bit hitter like you :D

Delighted for you Cathal couldn't happen to a nicer bloke just a petty we cudnt have an over nighter to celebrate!

benny79 wrote: »
    You sure it was a 8 iron?? I hit 5i to 6 feet and missed the putt story of my day! But i wouldn't be a bit hitter like you :D

Delighted for you Cathal couldn't happen to a nicer bloke just a petty we cudnt have an over nighter to celebrate!

I hit 8 iron to about 20 foot, rolled it close............ and missed the tap in........ story of my round!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Seve OB wrote: »
    I hit 8 iron to about 20 foot, rolled it close............ and missed the tap in........ story of my round!

There was a strong head wind when we were playing it! Was 164 yds to centre so i said it definitely a 2 club wind! You were right behind me seve. Did the wind drop? I nailed my 5...

Apologies, I want to also mention the three lads in our foorball on Saturday, great to play a round again with Paulos and Rickis, it’s been too long. Good crack all way round.

And yes Benny, was an 8 iron!!

Wind was behind for us (Charlies group) on 17.He was hitting big drives most of the day and his irons were a little strong. Bunkers cost him plenty of points as he struggled to exit them all day. The 8 iron on 17 wasn't his shot of the day. He's second on 2 almost dropped after a cracking draw into the pin. Reckon had his short game been a little tidier he had a 40 in him. Definitely wasn't a 21 handicapper for most of the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Once again Well done to Space on a great Captains day out in a really tough year.
    Our fourball managed 1 point on the 1st between us so that was a sign of things to come.
    When Benny mentioned the fiver sidebet on the 5th only then did we start to get into it.
    The greens were not giving up too many gimmes all day long for me.
    Finished with 30 points. I played the 18th to perfection with a long drive, 5 wood to left of the tree, 125yds left into wind normal 9 iron but went with 8, carried the green,nasty chip left short, 3 putts later walked off with a 7 for 1 point. Par might have done it for me but a worthy winner in Charlie. A great stalwart of our society who does a lot of thankless work in the backround. Delighted for you.
    Thanks to Benny, Offalymedic and Snackbox for a great laugh all the way around which is what this game is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Thanks Space for a great Captain's day and year given the exceptional circumstances you played a blinder.
    As break80 said above our group as a whole one had 1 point in the first and I don't think anyone scored on the second (open for correction) so was always going to be difficult to pull it back from there.
    Personally I'd been hitting it very well lately but 3 tops on the 1st followed by 2 sh**ks and a thin I totally just lost my concentration. Managed to settle into it a bit and driver worked well especially on 12 and I managed to hang onto the fairway for longest drive. Irons I started connecting with well also but was leaving them all out to the right and short game was miles off the pace to give me a realistic chance of a score..a few too many bladed bunker shots and 3 putts was the story of my round and I struggled home with 25pts.
    Had a great laugh as always with Break80, Benny and snackbox. Unfortunately I'm away on a staycation for the last outing and won't be making the ryder jug team with my poor performances but just want to say thanks again to space and all the committee for a great year and best of luck to next years captain!

Sorry for the detailed delayed reply all, its been a LONG weekend!!!

A lot of the following is probably something that would usually be saved till after the last event of the year, but given it was Captains, I'll get it all out here (well most of it). Firstly, a thank you to everyone for the kind words on here, and in Dromoland. Its really appreciated. On reflection, it hasn't been an easy year. With lockdowns, nationally and locally, we've had reschedules, changes of venue, and a few small controversies thrown in too ;) I've tried to keep positive through it all though, and I can now the light at the end of the tunnel.

The one thing I will say though is that this is an amazing society being looked after by an amazing committee of guys who are always quick to lend a hand or some advice. I said it to CharlieIRL as we were leaving that I've made good friends in this society, and I mean that. People who I wouldn't otherwise have ever crossed paths with, so joining the society is one thing I won't ever regret. A big thank you to everyone who was able to stick around after for the presentation, it was a long day for all, so I appreciate the effort.

So, to Dromoland. Its been a course that has been a transition point for the society for a number of past Captains days. We've had a few Friday afternoons here before moving on to the big day. So, it felt nice to treat it as a the big event for a weekend. And it is a venue suited to a big society day. Its a grandiose venue, and a proper test of golf, which showed in the winning scores. Doublecross said, on the first tee, if someone shoots 34 points today, they'll win it, and he's right, they would have. We were lucky to avoid the rain, but the wind did a job on us in its place.

The staff in Dromoland were superb throughout the day, from Triona in the golf shop to Donal, the starter, to the girls in the restaurant, they were friendly and accommodating throughout the day. They were also very flexible with the constant changing numbers right up until a couple of hours prior to the round. It was a messy enough start, with things running a little early, it was bit like herding cats getting everyone in to new groups and out on the course.

Played on the day then with Ballyk, Doublecross & The Big Easy. A great group to play with, all of whom I've been paired with before and plenty of talented golfers.

There is always that phrase spoken "Beware the injured golfer", and we had 2 of them in our group, Doublecross and The Big Easy. We saw both ends of the spectrum on how that can go though.

The Big Easy, played with a smile throughout, and started solidly, but eventually it took its toll on him. It was evident that the injury was holding him back as he was struggling for distance and control off the tee with the big stick in hand. I really appreciate the effort to come and play, and he did walk away with a prize, even if it wasn't the one he wanted!

Ballyk is a gent, and a really steady golfer, he reminds me a bit of one of our other society members, Tiger, in that he keeps the scoreboard moving non stop. Plenty of smooth baby fades off the tee, and great touch with a lot of mid range pitches and chips kept him going throughout.

Doublecross is a serious golfer, he warned us he was suffering from Tennis Elbow on the first tee, then proceeded to knock his first drive 15-20 yards past the best of the rest of us. Its hard to see a bad element in his game. He hasn't played a lot of golf in recent times, and you could see that impacted his short game. I've seen it when he's in regular form, and it probably cost him 4-5 points on the day. His round probably was going OK, but not great up until the 9th Tee where he proceeded to launch a drive at the short par 4 over the water & on to the green. Rolled in a perfect putt for an eagle 2, and he kicked on from there. Another 2 on 17 gave him a healthy share of the 2s club.

For me, it all started very solidly, and was going well until the 8th hole. Hit a decent drive, and a great 2nd shot to be sit in the fringe with a downhill putt for birdie at the back of the pin. Rolled it down nicely to about 12-18". Proceeded to 3-putt from there and turn a Par to a Double. Went a bit head off from there, on the next hit the green in 2 and again 3-putted. Then flared my drive on the 10th in to the water and ended that one with a scratch. On the short par 4 15th I managed to drive the green. Ballyk & Doublecross both just missed the green and both got up & down for birdies. I hit the green and again 3-putted for a par. Really when I look back at the round, the par 3s killed me. I scored 2 points on the 4 par 3s for the round. Finished the round well though, having to hit a mid-trajectory hard cut around that big tree from about 150 yards out, which came off, leaving a 2 putt par. Its funny, after the round, Doublecross said to one of the lads that I had the best score in our group, when I finished behind him & Ballyk, which probably reflects how my golf looked. I played really solid stuff tee-to-green most of the way around, but just couldn't score.

After a quick tally on the computer and shoving some very tasty fish & chips down my throat, it was out to a gap at the back of the car park for the presentation, which is about right for this year. My wife has been looking at the stack of golf prizes in the apartment all year wondering when we'd have the space back so was nice to offload a chunk of them.

When I saw who had won the big prize, I was genuinely chuffed. The first person I met in this society was CharlieIRL, and he gave me a warm welcome in all those years ago. Anyone who has played or spent any time with him will know he's just an all round good guy who has time for everyone. I know he's had a tough time with his golf lately, but you can always see with him that he has a big game in there trying to battle its way out. You could see the happiness in his face when he knew it was him picking up the prize. I tried to find some decent, slightly different prizes for the Captains, so hope they get good use.

Lastly, as was mentioned earlier, we have a new Captain announced for 2021, and it gives me great pleasure to introduce Break80 as the incoming Captain. Another real gentleman, who has put in some serious hours on the road for the society, and is always good craic. He always has a few side-bets going in his rounds, so won't be surprised if there are a few more cash games going on in the next year!!! Best of luck Break80, you'll have plenty of support and help on hand throughout.

Official results below:

526263.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Well done to Space on a great Captains day out in Dromoland. I really enjoyed the course with a lot of varying holes, really nice backdrops and I would really welcome another crack at it. Play was brisk with our group (BRossiter,Slave1 & Golfnut) with us getting around in 4 hours 20 minutes, which on a course we dont know and off the white tees I thought was quite good.

My round started poorly, very poorly with a fresh air swing on the first followed by a knockdown drive however still manage to salvage a point with a nice putt for double bogie. I scrambled a total 12 points on the front nine with 6 one pointers !! Things picked up a little on the back nine. A nice 9 iron on 17 to 12ft, the birdie putt grazed the hole leaving me 2 ft back which I duly missed back typified my day. 18 is a great closing hole, got a nice drive away, a good 5i down left of the tree but not far enough past and was blocked out, tried to fade a wedge onto the green unsuccessfully but managed to get up and down for a closing Par and 17 points on the back for a total of 29.

If it wasn't for a few mistakes/missed short putts and a severe distraction :):) our group suffered on the 14th hole resulting in my only scratch of the day I might have been closer to the winners circle.

Congrats to CharlieIRL a true gent and you could not find a more deserving winner. He's typically one of the first there to greet everyone and give out scorecards at every outing. He puts in a big effort for the society as do all the committee making it the great success that it is.

Looking forward to Palmerstown already !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Well done to all last weekend in Dromoland & to CharlieIRL. Captains prizes are hard to win so enjoy the moment. Am playing the course on Friday so any tips. It's been about 10 years since I was there before. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Well done on the win Charlie. Hopefully will get to one of the outings next year.

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    Well done to all last weekend in Dromoland & to CharlieIRL. Captains prizes are hard to win so enjoy the moment. Am playing the course on Friday so any tips. It's been about 10 years since I was there before. Thanks

Hit your putts hard......that is all.

Well I'd never played Dromoland before but it has been on my radar. I was lucky enough to play with a couple of great golfers in Alanm and RossyD, and an aul hacker in WGC ;) who hits a pretty mean strike, if he can just learn to control it around the greens. Not only are they great golfers, they are also great craic and very enjoyable playing partners. I though it was a fantastically well laid out course, with some cracking holes. The short par 4's are great and make a nice change. I did find it a tricky course to navigate the first time around it with a lot of blind shots, dog legs and difficult to judge layups. Playing it a few times would be a must if you want to figure it out and put a score together.
    The conditioning did let the course down though as it was very soft in comparison to a lot of other courses I have been playing lately. The greens were shocking, bumpy, soft, patchy and slower than the no. 37 bus. The tree right in front of the 16th tee is one of the mist stupid things I've ever seen on a golf course, not just because I hit it :o but also because the tee points you right at it and while there was loads of room on the right side of the fairway, the tee shot forces you well left and the only way of finding that room would be a wicked slice.

My game was in shape going into the round, but unfortunately for me on the day the highlight was watching the Musgraves truck reverse into some poor sod on the driveway :( On reflection I probably played ok though, I had a ball OB by about a yard on the par 5 6th. I took 42 putts on the day which included 7 3 putts and I made absolutely nothing from any kind of distance. My recent rounds i'e been averaging 30-32 putts. So thanking that into account, 29 points wasn't bad. It didn't help that I missed 3 tap ins from less than 2 feet which was ultimately the difference for me between winning and loosing.

But on to the winner, CharlieIRL. TBH there couldn't be a more deserving winner, a real foundation stone of the society and we wouldn't be where we are today without all of his efforts over the years. Massive congrats Charlie, I am truly delighted for you.

And finally Captain Space, it was a shame we didn't get to go dancin, but you still managed to pull it all together and push hard to make the year a huge success all things considered. It's a hard enough task at the best of times, but you should be especially proud of your efforts. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Great job this year space. I’d say it was hell this year with all that happened but you pulled it off.
    I’d like to say thanks to space, ballyk and big easy for the pleasure of their company but also for waiting for me on the first tee, I was running a little late.
    I had a brutal start, short game disappeared. Played very little golf this year. Think I had 4 points after 6 holes. Worst was couple of yards off green In 2 on short par 5 4th but still scratched the hole :mad:. Pulled it together and played last 12 in level par but just 1 point shy. Well done Charlie, you earned it.
    I was sure space had it won. Played great golf but that casual 3 putt from 1 foot on the 8th derailed him.
    I think big easy had his eye on the most golf prize. 2 balls into the hotel on the 6th confirmed it :D
    Ballyk played steady as always and wasn’t far off in the end. Just couldn’t get the pace of the greens.

Thanks for prize space, leather scorecard holder with boards engraved on front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Seve OB wrote: »
    The tree right in front of the 16th tee is one of the mist stupid things I've ever seen on a golf course

I like that hole, requires you to shape tee shot. I’ve seen guys draw it around right side. More space up right than you realise. It’s definitely a course you need to play a few times. Greens were a bit rough, they had a lot of traffic on the Thursday and Friday (some classic fundraiser)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

I'd like to add my thanks to Space, you've done a fantastic job getting us out for any golf in an extremely difficult year. It's a pity we couldn't have a good night out to celebrate it.. we'll just have to double down next year! I'm sure Break80 will have a good spot for us to go out (congrats and good luck next year Break80!!)

Congrats Charlie! To echo what everyone else has said, it really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. The smile on your face said it all!

For my round, I had the pleasure of playing with Seve, RossyD and WGC. Seve has been on a great run lately and, with a little bit of luck/getting the pace on the greens, he would've added another trophy to the collection. Myself and RossyD were both playing reasonably well and WCG will be a very good golfer once he gets a bit more practice around the greens. Looking back, I was standing on the 17th tee box with 30pts, a par on either of the last two would've allowed me to retain the trophy. Unfortunately I finished with a bad scratch and bogey on 18 with a 3putt :( Oh well, will have to try again next year.

3rd overall got me some much needed Jug points and the leather scorecard holder is lovely. Only found the ball marker in with the prize yesterday, thanks for that too - was an unexpected little bonus! See you all in Palmerstown next month hopefully!

Thanks for all the very kind words guys, means a lot. Still delighted here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Thanks for all the very kind words guys, means a lot. Still delighted here!!!

I’m only catching up on this thread now , we’ll done Charlie on the big win.
    Congratulations Break 80 on the captaincy , I’m sure you’ll put your own stamp on the society and look forward to the courses next year.
    PP

• Advertisement
Advertisement