Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting visa after obtaining Critical Skills Permit..

Options
  • 03-07-2020 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I have some confusion surrounding whom to approach to obtain visa after obtaining Critical Skills Permit, my understanding is as follows.

Once I have received my Critical Skills Permit I have to approach Garda to have my Visa Stamp (Stamp 1, currently I'm on Stamp 1G), is this understanding correct or do I have to apply to INIS ?!, this is what I'm confused about.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, you must attend your local immigration office to have your permission updated from Stamp 1G to Stamp 1. How that's done depends on where you live. See this page for all the details. If you're outside of Dublin, the process is still handled by an immigration office attached to your regional Garda station.

If you live in County Dublin (including the city), you'll need to register at the Burgh Quay immigration office. Currently it's impossible to do so as the office is closed indefinitely due to COVID-19; you should check this page for updates as to the situation and what to do in your particular circumstances. Some existing permissions have been extended automatically, and some permissions changes (including 1G to 1) can be submitted via email.

If you don't get your permit until after the office reopens, then it will still be impossible to book a registration appointment as you will be competing against hordes of automated bots which book up all the appointment slots instantly and resell them on shady Facebook groups, but unfortunately there probably won't be an electronic registration option any longer, so you'll be stuck refreshing the appointment site on a regular basis hoping against hope to find a free appointment. (And if you do find one, take it no matter what day or time it is; your job or your wedding or the birth of your child are all things that you might actually be able to experience again at some later point in the future, unlike finding a free booking slot for a Burgh Quay immigration appointment... :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

dennyk wrote: »
    Yes, you must attend your local immigration office to have your permission updated from Stamp 1G to Stamp 1. How that's done depends on where you live. See this page for all the details. If you're outside of Dublin, the process is still handled by an immigration office attached to your regional Garda station.

If you live in County Dublin (including the city), you'll need to register at the Burgh Quay immigration office. Currently it's impossible to do so as the office is closed indefinitely due to COVID-19; you should check this page for updates as to the situation and what to do in your particular circumstances. Some existing permissions have been extended automatically, and some permissions changes (including 1G to 1) can be submitted via email.

If you don't get your permit until after the office reopens, then it will still be impossible to book a registration appointment as you will be competing against hordes of automated bots which book up all the appointment slots instantly and resell them on shady Facebook groups, but unfortunately there probably won't be an electronic registration option any longer, so you'll be stuck refreshing the appointment site on a regular basis hoping against hope to find a free appointment. (And if you do find one, take it no matter what day or time it is; your job or your wedding or the birth of your child are all things that you might actually be able to experience again at some later point in the future, unlike finding a free booking slot for a Burgh Quay immigration appointment... :pac: )

Thanks for clarifying, I stay in Drimnagh so I'm understanding I'm to register with the Burgh Quay Office, once it opens, right ?!.

Yes, everyone living in County Dublin (including the city itself) has to register at Burgh Quay.

Yes, everyone living in County Dublin (including the city itself) has to register at Burgh Quay.

Thanks @dennyk, appreciate your help.

Hi,

My IRP expires on 04 Aug 2020 issued in Cavan, and am currently on Stamp 1G living in Dublin. I have submitted my Critical Skills Employment Permit (CSEP) on 01 July 2020. As I understand my IRP will expire before my CSEP is out, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay twice, once for renewing the existing IRP and then just a month later for a new IRP once my CSEP comes out.

Also will I have to apply for renewal in Dublin as now I reside here ?

I'm aware of automatic renewal, however, its till 20 Jul 2020 only.

Any advise how can I go about this.

Thank You

• Advertisement

Yes, it's possible you will have to pay twice, unfortunately. The immigration officer might be able to cut you a break and issue a short-term stamp of some sort instead to cover you until you receive your permit and switch to the Stamp 1, but I wouldn't count on it.

As you live in Dublin, you will have to register at Burgh Quay. Interestingly, according to their website, though, you may not need an appointment to renew your existing registration, if it can be renewed at all, as it seems they're going to be doing all renewals online going forward (about time, too...). Unfortunately if you are in a situation where you can't renew online (e.g. you're at the end of your 24 month period, or only had the 12-month permission as a Level 8 graduate), you might be in a difficult situation, as it doesn't seem they'll be taking appointments for some time yet, and actually getting one once they do open the system is no doubt going to be very hard. I'd say the chances of you getting in before your permission expires might be slim. You could try emailing bqregofficeapplications@justice.ie to ask for advice in your specific situation, but I'm not sure if they respond to inquiry emails or how long it might take for someone to reply.

Appreciate clarifying all that, thanks again.

Emailed them, hope they reply soon..

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

Am I considered a first time applicant as I'll be applying to the Burgh Quay office first time for renewal ?

Yes, it's possible you will have to pay twice, unfortunately. The immigration officer might be able to cut you a break and issue a short-term stamp of some sort instead to cover you until you receive your permit and switch to the Stamp 1, but I wouldn't count on it.

As you live in Dublin, you will have to register at Burgh Quay. Interestingly, according to their website, though, you may not need an appointment to renew your existing registration, if it can be renewed at all, as it seems they're going to be doing all renewals online going forward (about time, too...). Unfortunately if you are in a situation where you can't renew online (e.g. you're at the end of your 24 month period, or only had the 12-month permission as a Level 8 graduate), you might be in a difficult situation, as it doesn't seem they'll be taking appointments for some time yet, and actually getting one once they do open the system is no doubt going to be very hard. I'd say the chances of you getting in before your permission expires might be slim. You could try emailing bqregofficeapplications@justice.ie to ask for advice in your specific situation, but I'm not sure if they respond to inquiry emails or how long it might take for someone to reply.

Hi again,

I have already paid for my 1st Stamp 1G renewal, now my concern is where to apply for changing from Stamp 1G to Stamp 1. There is no information anywhere on how to about this. I can only find New Registrations and Renewals.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks..

Advertisement