Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2GB of Additional Google Drive Storage Free Forever

Options
  • 10-02-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

As part of Safer Internet Day, Google is giving everyone an additional 2GB of free Google Drive Storage. Some people already have bonus storage but it usually only lasts a year or two. This, while smaller, lasts forever and bumps the default 15GB to 17GB.

You complete a security checkup of your Google Account and then around the 28th of February the storage will be automatically added to your account.

More Information:
    http://googledrive.blogspot.ie/2015/02/safer-internet-day-2015.html

2GB of Free Storage:
    http://goo.gl/ccgyV0

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention this is valid until the 17th February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Thanks OP, will be using it for Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Thanks OP. I didn't know about this until I saw your post.

To see how much of your current 15GB storage is used check https://www.google.com/settings/storage. This will show you exactly how much space is being used by each Google service — Gmail, Google Drive, and Google+ Photos (hover over piechart to see breakdown).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think I read somewhere that everyone is getting this in the next few months regardless, this just gets you early access to it? Will see if I can find where I read it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Got it thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

cheers op, just went for this and found out i have 140gb in gmail storage, (15gb from them, 100gb from htc and another 40gb froma previous htc phone)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

Is this legit?

Why on earth would google use a url "googledriveblog" insisted of a normal google.com address.

Have you guys given your passwords and whatnot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

Simple security check up?

This looks WELL dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Is this legit?

Why on earth would google use a url "googledriveblog" insisted of a normal google.com address.

Simple security check up?

This looks WELL dodge.

Yes it's legit.

Does nobody Google Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭Doge

Is this legit?

Yes its legit.

The mini url: http://goo.gl/ccgyV0

Brings you to accounts.google.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

On a related note, if anyone didn't already know, if you have a Google account managed by an education institute, you should have unlimited storage (10TB). Max file size is 5TB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Is this legit?

Because google own blogspot, and various teams/products have blog based feeds posted on it. As others have said, the actual login URL is legit, and the blog is too, whether you want to believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Nice, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

thanks Op

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Nim wrote: »
    On a related note, if anyone didn't already know, if you have a Google account managed by an education institute, you should have unlimited storage (10TB). Max file size is 5TB.
    How does an education institute manage google accounts?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is this legit?

I just checked if it was legit and it is.

Thanks for sharing the link OP:)
    I now have 116GB of space I will probably never use:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

TheDriver wrote: »
    How does an education institute manage google accounts?

Other way around. They use hosted gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thanks OP :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭jessie_pinkman

Any way to trick them to make t look like you have? Also i did the survey but didn't get any indication i'd receive 2gb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd be curious to know what exactly is going to be 1 unique file that is 5TB, along with what in the heck is able to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

http://googledrive.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/safer-internet-day-2015.html

Google are offering a free 2 GB of storage for life just for doing a basic security check on your google account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kavrocks wrote: »

So I see and someone kindly merged the threads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Do you get any kind of verification message?

I did it for both my managed apps account and my gmail I use for spammy sites, and it didn't say anything about 2GB

edit: oh i see, the green shield means you get the space, without actually saying anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Dudda wrote: »
    You complete a security checkup of your Google Account and then around the 28th of February the storage will be automatically added to your account.
    from first post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

daytob wrote: »
    from first post

Ya, I expected some kind of confirmation of eligibility and didn't read the google post properly the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'll patiently wait till the 28th for my additional 2GB but it does seem strange that Google wouldnt give you some kind of confirmation...

Dont want to turn this into a Cloud Storage discussion thread but a good alternative to Google Cloud would be Copy.com: large initial allowance of 15GB (20GB if you sign up with a referral link, can provide 1 if wanted, +5GB for every referral you do up to 40GB), shared files with other Copy users DONT affect that limit, no file size if using desktop client, well known and reputable parent company (Barracuda).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I'll patiently wait till the 28th for my additional 2GB but it does seem strange that Google wouldnt give you some kind of confirmation...

Dont want to turn this into a Cloud Storage discussion thread but a good alternative to Google Cloud would be Copy.com: large initial allowance of 15GB (20GB if you sign up with a referral link, can provide 1 if wanted, +5GB for every referral you do up to 40GB), shared files with other Copy users DONT affect that limit, no file size if using desktop client, well known and reputable parent company (Barracuda).

Ya but this bumps your Google storage which includes Gmail and photos backup from your android phone. I'd say most people will use if for the Gmail and photos than transferring files.

(I know low resolution photos are backed up free but I like to backup full resolution)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Dudda wrote: »
    Ya but this bumps your Google storage which includes Gmail and photos backup from your android phone. I'd say most people will use if for the Gmail and photos than transferring files.

(I know low resolution photos are backed up free but I like to backup full resolution)

Agree fully... 2GB extra on Google is way more useful than 5-10x that amount with a providers which is a lot less intertwined in our daily internet life.
    In fairness Copy is arguably a better alternative to dropbox or onedrive... less comparable to Google Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Agree fully... 2GB extra on Google is way more useful than 5-10x that amount with a providers which is a lot less intertwined in our daily internet life.
    In fairness Copy is arguably a better alternative to dropbox or onedrive... less comparable to Google Drive.
    Please don't turn this into a a Cloud Storage discussion thread" (to quote yourself). There is a forum for such discussions in Cloud and Distributed Computing http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=851

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

leck wrote: »
    Thanks OP. I didn't know about this until I saw your post.

To see how much of your current 15GB storage is used check https://www.google.com/settings/storage. This will show you exactly how much space is being used by each Google service — Gmail, Google Drive, and Google+ Photos (hover over piechart to see breakdown).

Wow shows me as having 75gb :eek:

50gb got applied when I got my Moto G, it has an expiry date of 2016

Advertisement