Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lynk taxi app 5 x €5 vouchers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

groom wrote: »
    k8pguor
    Have seen a fair amount of taxis sporting this logo in the last week. Hopefully there'll be the constant drip of voucher codes like with Hailo

www.lynk.ie

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rightcab.eighttwentycabs

How do I get the voucher(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

From website:

Our Press Release

#Lovelynk: Dublin’s first home-grown taxi app launches in the city today.

Lynk taxi app launches across Dublin city today with €25 credit with every download

February 9th 2015: Lynk is launching across Dublin city today as Ireland’s first home-grown taxi app with €25 credit pre-loaded onto every new account, that’s €5 off the first 5 rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

brk3 wrote: »
    How do I get the voucher(s)?
    -
    When you register on your new Lynk app, as a Reward you will receive -

€25 Lynk Credit! Free! Already preloaded onto your app.

That's €5 off each of your first 5 rides!

To receive your Lynk Rewards simply register a valid credit card on your Lynk app and book a taxi choosing the ‘Pay by Card’ option.

Remember, you cannot claim your reward when you book and pay by cash.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't think this will take off like Hailo or Uber.

This is just the old 8202020 cabs radio company rebranded as Lynk

Most taxi drivers seem to absolutely hate the guy who runs this company, so I don't see many of them signing up for it. So I wouldn't use it if you were in a rush. Don't expect Hailo/Uber 2 minute wait times, think of it more like using a radio company.

Don't get me wrong, take advantage of this free credit, I know I will. But don't use it when you are in a rush.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is there any indication on the app of the free credit?

It seems I've already had the app installed! Turns out my 8202020 app turned into this Lynk app via an automated update!!!

But I don't see any indication of the free credit. I'm worried that I won't get the credit as I already had the app installed.

Also I see that the nearest taxi is 10 minutes away, versus 1 minute with Hailo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Knowing this crowd you'll probably never the 5er off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its nice to see any Irish try and keep up with international competitors. Instead of the usually moaning about a new foreign company taking all their business

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

iv e installed the app butt cant see the free credit anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sidcon

Will be doing 2 short runs this tonight will use the app and let you know if I get this credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not the first Irish taxi app, despite the claims. Was one before hailo with bad fake Ross O'Carroll Kelly based add. It flopped

• Advertisement

sidcon wrote: »
    Will be doing 2 short runs this tonight will use the app and let you know if I get this credit.

How'd you get on?

Dónal wrote: »
    How'd you get on?

1st trip could not get a taxi in Swords, so no joy.

2nd trip waiting 7 mins for car that was supposed to be 15mins (getting a call of drive to rush my pint :-( ), booked and paid for by card, fair came to €8.25 and driver knew nothing about discounts but sure they don't need to. No email from company to confirm price paid and in booking history it says the fare came to €8.25. Have to wait for bank to break down charges pending to see how much I actually got charged. I was on the rip so car was used for loads of different transactions.

sidcon wrote: »
    1st trip could not get a taxi in Swords, so no joy.

2nd trip waiting 7 mins for car that was supposed to be 15mins (getting a call of drive to rush my pint :-( ), booked and paid for by card, fair came to €8.25 and driver knew nothing about discounts but sure they don't need to. No email from company to confirm price paid and in booking history it says the fare came to €8.25. Have to wait for bank to break down charges pending to see how much I actually got charged. I was on the rip so car was used for loads of different transactions.

Thanks, please keep us informed on whether you were charged the full whack or not!

Dónal wrote: »
    Thanks, please keep us informed on whether you were charged the full whack or not!

Update the €5 discount came through when charged to my card so it does work.

So I used this Lynk app last night. And yes, the €5 discount does seem to be working.

After I paid the driver, a window appeared in the app saying something like:

- Fare: €11
    - Discount: €5
    - Total: €6

And the email receipt I received doesn't mention the discount, but it does say:
    - Fare: €11
    - Total: €6

In the trip history it just says fare €11

So it looks like the discount is good. Though it hasn't come through on my credit card yet, so we will see.

Some other notes about the service.

The driver charged the €2 pick up fee, which Hailo doesn't leave their drivers charge. So really you are only getting a €3 discount over Hailo.

The driver clearly had zero training in how to use the app. He was a very nice chap, but he thought I had to put the fare into the app on my phone. I said I don't think so, if it is like Hailo, you should be putting the fare in the drivers app. He played around with it a little and figured out that yes, I was right.

Also it took the taxi about 10 minutes longer to arrive then would be normal with Hailo.

So in summary, I'll certainly use the 5 trips at €5 off, but once I've used them up, I can't see myself using it again, not with it costing €2 more then Hailo and less taxis.

EDIT: sidcon beat me too it ;)

bk wrote: »
    The driver charged the €2 pick up fee, which Hailo doesn't leave their drivers charge. So really you are only getting a €3 discount over Hailo.

And there was me thinking they were being serious about competing with Hailo

And there was me thinking they were being serious about competing with Hailo

I just checked their website and the FAQ says there should be no €2 booking charge.

So clearly either intentionally or due to a lack of training the driver wrongly charged that. I'll email them and see if they will refund it.

Lynk got back to me and said:
    As you availed of your €5 lynk reward this is inclusive of the pickup charge of €2 discount. For future reference when no lynk reward is used you will be given a discount €2.

Not very happy with that, pretty stingy, so really just a €3 discount over Hailo.

Also I'm not sure if the above is actually true. I hadn't told the driver about this discount I was getting and he just typed the total fare including the pick up fee into the drivers app, so I don't see how I wouldn't be charged the pick up fee on a normal trip. Unless they always automatically discount €2 when there is no "lynk reward". One to watch out for when the 5 trips run out.

It doesn't help that the trip history and receipt email don't indicate the discount properly.

That makes no sense at all. Fudged reply

That makes no sense at all. Fudged reply

Yup, I've emailed them back for clarification.

How I assume it works:
    - Driver types full fare including pick up charge into the driver app
    - If a "Lynk Reward" is applied then that comes off the full fare including pick up charge.
    - If no "Lynk Reward" isn't applied then you automatically get a €2 discount off what the driver entered.

At least that is the only way I can figure it out. All very confusing from the customers perspective IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tried to use this morning and had no luck getting a taxi on it at all, very annoying... Will try again at a quieter time to use up the free credit.

I've been seeing heaps of taxis with the Lynk sticker. Really surprised that availability is such a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been seeing heaps of taxis with the Lynk sticker. Really surprised that availability is such a problem.

I'd say they're still prioritising business account work which is the main business they have - its just a rebrand of an existing taxi firm.

They are just an existing radio company who has rebranded and launched a new app.

They are Global Taxi/8202020, one of the biggest Taxi radio companies in Dublin.

Despite that I think they have far fewer drivers then Hailo. You can easily see that for your self by launching both apps. Outside of the city center there are way more Hailo taxis, then Lynk taxis.

Also as L1011 says, given that they are a radio firm, I'd say corporate jobs get priority with them.

I've a 10 euro code for UBER taxi for dublin for new accounts - that's 10 quid off your first taxi

They use to give €20 off, not impressed.

Plus, you aren't allowed to post referral codes here on this forum.

So Lynk got back to me to clarify this:
    Rewards or offers applying to Card Bookings:

Only one reward applies at a time. If two rewards coincide on a booking only the higher value reward will apply. The current new customer offer is €5 off your first 5 bookings. After that our special offer of no pick up charge should apply but the driver enters the full fare in both cases. Your app will process the reward or offer.

Generally speaking the drivers would not be concerned with how we process our periodic promotions. So it's easier for all if the driver just enters the full fare and the app then deals with it.

Which is totally fair IMO, as long as it is clear. Was just a bit confusing initially.

So really it is a €3 saving over Hailo rather then €5. Still a saving either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I see some drivers are using Hailo app and have the Lynk logo on their taxis. Is this legit?

I see some drivers are using Hailo app and have the Lynk logo on their taxis. Is this legit?

Yup, totally, nothing stopping drivers using, Hailo, Uber and Lynk all at the same time.

And why not? Surely it is in the best interest of both drivers and customers.

Drivers benefit from getting as much work as possible.

Customers benefit from ensuring they get a taxi quickly no matter which app they decide to use.

Customers benefit getting using the same taxi but using the app they have a voucher for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 redhand07

used it twice over the weekend, very poor.

first time i was was waiting 30 minutes when screen kept saying 8, even went to 4, in the end just canceled and got a hailo in 5 min. the app said i also was changed 10 euro, so waiting to see if my car is charged!!!

2nd time it worked, took only 10 min but app didn't find my location and driver was a little aggressive and racist. cost 11, was told i was changed 6

3rd time again took along time for car to come, couldn't see it coming and timing wasn't accurate.

in all a very poor app, stick with halio

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bmeen56

Wouldn't bother with Lynk. Have had two bad experiences using the app, the first one the guy was rude and the second driver tried to rip myself and my friends off, he already had the meter running even though he was outside the wrong house and I had put the exact house number in, Awful experience! We got out of the taxi and I was still over charged, the app is very slow also, Reccomend against it if you want a pleasant journey or don't want the driver being very rude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CFC007

Used it for the first time last night. No issues with the app or with the driver. Discount was applied also without issue. Would use it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I've used it twice and waited 25 mins both City centre. Will use up the other 3 vouchers but won't use again after!
    Like previous poster, it will say 8 min wait then change to 15 than it says 'get ready your taxi is about to arrive' and you'll wait fir another 10 mins.
    Customer service especially on the phone is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

It's so slow and so bad.. not even worth the pain for a €3 discount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Dont even bother. Worse than useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Worked fine for me and I've used it 4 times. It's a new app and obviously not as many cars as Hailo but every company has growing pains. I'll continue to use it as I find the cars as generally better.

Advertisement