Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology or chemistry?!

Options
  • 28-02-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey everyone! I'm choosing my leaving cert subjects in a few days and I'm still stuck between biology and chemistry. What do you think is the better subject and if you did it how did you find it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dominique321

Namaw wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm choosing my leaving cert subjects in a few days and I'm still stuck between biology and chemistry. What do you think is the better subject and if you did it how did you find it? Thanks

It all depends on what career path you want to take. Biology is not as easy as people assume it is, however it involves a lot of learning and I mean a lot of learing off stuff in other words it may be easier than chemistry because chemistry is a complex subject you either no the answer or you don't. It involves loads of calculations so if you are not a fan of maths think about it, and it also requires loads of study and understanding. Having said that, it all depends on what career you want if you are looking forward to do a course on the health category you'll need both, however if you are not and you don't really like maths you should choose Biology most courses ask for a science subject as a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Namaw

It all depends on what career path you want to take. Biology is not as easy as people assume it is, however it involves a lot of learning and I mean a lot of learing off stuff in other words it may be easier than chemistry because chemistry is a complex subject you either no the answer or you don't. It involves loads of calculations so if you are not a fan of maths think about it, and it also requires loads of study and understanding. Having said that, it all depends on what career you want if you are looking forward to do a course on the health category you'll need both, however if you are not and you don't really like maths you should choose Biology most courses ask for a science subject as a requirement.

I honestly have no clue what I want to do career wise but want to keep my options open. Yet I feel Ill probably go down the line of English or geography etc. or general science. I'm definitely not going into medicine/health though so I'm okay in that aspect. Thanks very much for your reply it helped a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Biology - constant learning is all it is. I find the classes though a bit dreary at times. Maybe chemistry could be a nice challenge for you, if you're looking for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Namaw wrote: »

I don't do chemistry. I'm told that sometimes it can be boring but they have really cool experiments.
    I picked Biology because I thought it would be interesting. I don't mind the learning. I don't like how deep it goes into some concepts. It's an all right subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

Hey! 6th year student currently doing both so I thought I'd add my own 2c.

Biology and Chemistry are not subjects that you will do well in unless you're willing to put in the work.That being said, I've found both of them to be very enjoyable.

Biology: A lot of learning but it will never get as complicated as chemistry does. The exam itself is pretty nice with plenty of choice. Be prepared to spend a lot of time reading over chapters again and again as the course is quite big.

Chemistry: Short course but very complicated and challenging. There's a lot of calculations involved but don't let that turn you off. I'm doing OL maths and it's been fine so far. You'll find yourself practically learning off marking schemes for the exam as they're very particular unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Definitely do biology . Much easier to get an A in.
    If you aren't doing health sciences and don't want to do science then I wouldn't bother with chemistry personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I really like Biology except botany. But I would still prefer those plants than Chemistry. Chemistry is just dreadful for me. I think my class isn't that good in it as well compared to my Biology class. Just an observation.

(i was not the one who chose my options)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 B4nt3rB0t

I don't do biology, but I do chemistry and although more difficult, its also far more interesting and I love it!

Advertisement