Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

When I was on on BallyB website a few weeks ago, these semi-open singles seemed to be easily bookable online, once the online booking system had opened up a week or so beforehand.

But now it’s not open for this weeks one. Any ideas why? Maybe because it’s full already?

im hoping to play in the one at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

As its a semi open I think that only a member can book you in.

Pat Mulcare AM AM on this weekend. Play Ballybunion Sat and Tralee Sunday. €140. still couple of tee times left https://members.ballybuniongolfclub.ie/visitoropen.php?compid=38697&stage=teetime

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

That’s what I would have thought as well, but the previous weeks semi opens opened up to non members a week in advance and were bookable as a non member.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Calling on the experience of the golf forum here. What's the best way to go about organising a trip out West to play Links for a few days?

Was looking at heading out to Sligo for a few days next year and playing Rosses Point, Carne & Enniscrone over the course of three days. Is the best way of doing it simply booking your tee time with each course individually? Or is there any kind of Links 'Ticket' that would guarantee you can get tee time at all three on consecutive days?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm literally playing these 3 courses this week with my brother and dad. Enniscrone Thursday, Rosses Friday and Carne Saturday. I had to book them individually, as there isn't any joint agreement thing that i'm aware of.

If you call the pro shops, its fairly easy to do. We booked a fair bit in advance, so it was easier to get the times that worked for us, but you could always provisionally book a time, then ring and change it if the other courses aren't available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭willabur

I think you will always get a better deal by calling them and talking to a real person. I would say stay flexible on the 3 courses in terms of what course you play on each day and have a back up plan in case one of them is fully booked. If you are a GUI member then make sure you mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

My best advice is to use BRS to get an overview of each course’s availability and work out the best itinerary in your head.

Then phone the courses in accordance of least availability and ask them to secure a tee time provisionally for you, and that you’ll confirm in full within a day once you’ve the other courses and accommodation hooked up.

A deposit / up front payment is unusual this way. Some will demand it, but only for a larger group booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If you're looking for the best value then base it around Co. Sligo's open week, it's end of July/start of August this year and similar each year iirc.

You'll get out for €60 as opposed to ~€200. They've been steadily increasing greens fees in recent years.

Enniscrone has a weekly open during the summer, approx €50 and you'll probably get out in Carne for similar with a phone call.

I think the "ticket" type deals have stopped but open to correction on that. Enniscrone would be the best club to enquire on that front. I think Co. Sligo have probably shifted their focus and targeting the overseas visitor a little bit more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enniscrone is €45/round after 5pm, best value out there, ye could warm up on the 9 hole course and then tee off for a lovely evening round and catch the sunset

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just to add, the weekly open is on each Thursday for €65.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Cheers Lads! Yeah had been looking at BRS to check availability and was trying to base it around Open weeks where possible.

@PARlance - I was actually thinking earlier when looking at Rosses Point that their pricing had shot up considerable compared to last time I looked at it and figured they were trying to attract the US crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There is actually an annual 3 ball tournament called the Atlantic Coast Challenge, it was on last week where you play each of those courses on consecutive days. Carne organise it and it's already opened for next year as people tend to return every year - it's very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

Tralee Captains charity day Aug 13th. 400 a team, open comp. Not cheap but reasonable value compared to normal green fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

There is better value later in the month. They are holding 2 open fourballs and 1 singles on the same week as the Rose of Tralee festival. They are currently listed at 60 euro on BRS. Booking opens to non-members next week

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Planning on playing an open comp in Narin & Portnoo next week for the first time. Any tips or advice for getting round?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm very jealous - what a great course. If you've a garmin watch download the course map before going. I had the old course mapped on my phone. I realised on the second hole that the distance wasn't deceptive because of the elevation. My watch was measuring to a completely different location.

I played so badly I just can't offer any advice. There was a great run of holes - maybe 6-9. It starts with a par 3 over a massive ravine or something. You definitely don't want to go short. Or long. Then a great driveable par 4. You'll be relying on a few kind bounces to get you there / keep your ball in play, but it's a great hole. And then a par 4 over a hill. And a lovely short par 3.

Ah, it was just a great course from start to finish. Even playing terribly I enjoyed it no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

Anyone get into this? Didn't look at the booking page till 10:30 and it was fully booked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I did indeed, singles and the AmAm. Didn't try for the fourball

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Must look at that as I’ll be on family holiday in Killarney around that time.

do you know dates or are they on website?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

20th, 22nd and 24th of August. https://visitors.brsgolf.com/tralee#/open-competitions

As mentioned above they have booked out very quickly. Looks like a few early and late spots for the Am/Am on the 22nd is all that is left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All...any way to get even a half decent rate in Waterville , down near it in 2 weeks and a gap in my Links list. A hard one to tick off logistically....

I know probably unrealistic this time of year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Down there last week, €150 is the ring up GUI rate. Was talking to a member and the members guest rate is 120/130.

Phone them and ask for dusk rate

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Fix, I'm playing tralee on 13th Aug if you're down that way and want to join. €100

A day late for me Double...but thanks for ideas...I'll email them on GU/I rate.

Thanks all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Staying up near Buncrana at the end of the month so have a chance to play Ballyliffin during the week.

Which course would you recommend to play as a low 20s handicapper....Old or Glashedy?

• Advertisement

Either or, there's nothing between them IMHO, the Old has bumpy fairways so the ball has more of a tendency to go anywhere, the new (Glashedy) has smoother fairways, greens similar on both.

Advertisement