Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this fox droppings ?

Options
  • 03-06-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

Hi discovered some parcels in the garden. See image for scale with a tennis ball. ? Is this fox droppings ? There was an even bigger one but that’s been cleaned up.

https://ibb.co/hVN0LCN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Looks very black for a Fox, I'd be more inclined to say Badger, if you think that could be possible.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fox is more cylindrical, with a nice little twist at the end.
    Unless it has been walked on.
    If its a front garden, the other possibility is stag (as in, a drunk on his way home from a stag party)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

cheers folks - I'm trying to setup a camera and see can we find out. Hopefully not a badger, we have a jack russell and I don't think they would get along !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yes, it looks like badger to me also. Fox is usually solid, and badger more runny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

ondafly wrote: »
    cheers folks - I'm trying to setup a camera and see can we find out. Hopefully not a badger, we have a jack russell and I don't think they would get along !

If it smells really, really bad :eek:it's fox, otherwise it could be badger - it looks like fox to me though as badger is more like one short lump with little hard round bits joined together.

If there's a badger around don't worry about the dog - we have fox and badgers - the fox is a little cheekier and ignores the dog but if the badger even hears one of them barking he's off, and they can runway in seconds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There is only 1 person who can help here. Gillian McKeith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Badgers almost always use a dedicated latrine area near the sett. Badger dung is possible but quite unlikely.

Whereas foxes frequent suburban gardens, and they mark their feeding places with scat. This is intended to show other foxes that the area is claimed!
    Fox droppings are very variable: in Autumn, for instance, they are full of cherry-stones and blackberry pips, clearly visible.

Foxes are opportunistic feeders, and will eat almost anything: this looks to me like fox droppings where the animal had eaten something a bit laxative, maybe one of your neighbours left out some fruitcake for them!

Only other likely candidate is hedgehog; often quite similar to fox, a bit smaller: and like fox scat, usually more formed.

Finally, don't forget the likelihood of domestic animals - dogs and cats, fouling the grass.

Advertisement