Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 British Amateur Championship

Options
  • 11-06-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Anyone heading along(as a player or spectator) to this next week? Not much mention of it, for one of the biggest events in amateur golf. Could be due something to do with Portmarnock and its membership policies(?)

https://www.randa.org/en/championships/theamateurchampionship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think I'll try go the Saturday. Am in Enniscrone the Thursday (trek from Cork), Strandhill the Friday. So heading back to folks in Wicklow the Friday, so may as well when in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

The powers that be in Portmarnock know that if they don't change their "dinosaur age" policy on not admitting female members to the golf club, then this will be the last major tournament of significance that they'll host for the foreseeable future.

The tournament itself should be good. The 1st 36 holes of strokeplay, starting Monday of next week will be held in both Portmarnock and The Island golf clubs. The top 64 and ties will qualify for the matchplay stage of the championship, to be held in Portmarnock, starting next Wednesday. If they play off the back tees, then you could be looking at the course playing around 7,500 yards in Portmarnock.

The early contenders for the event look like the following. For Ireland Caolan Rafferty (Dundalk) who is in outstanding form this year and Conor Purcell from the host club this week. Australia have David Micheluzzi as their highest ranked player this week. For England, expect the likes of Jake Burnage and Alex Fitzpatrick to be among contention this week. USA's Akshay Bhatia is currently ranked in the top 10 in the world and is a welcome visitor to these shores this week.

Entry is free next week. These are the stars of tomorrow, so if you have any spare time then go down and see golf of the highest quality. Hope the weather will be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Hope to get to Portmarnock to see one of the days. Any ideas on parking? Had a look online but couldn't see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

frink wrote: »
    Hope to get to Portmarnock to see one of the days. Any ideas on parking? Had a look online but couldn't see anything

I would expect Portmarnock will use the land along either side of the driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Just spent the morning in The Island. Great to see these guys up close. They are effectively pros. Their ball striking is top notch. Watching them hitting long irons in to the wind, and the sound of the strike, amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Just spent the morning in The Island. Great to see these guys up close. They are effectively pros. Their ball striking is top notch. Watching them hitting long irons in to the wind, and the sound of the strike, amazing.

Is the weather bad in the area as the scoring is pretty bad across both courses. Irish haven’t started well so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is it on in afternoon

What is schedule ?

Fairly breezy testing conditions.

No idea of schedule but they'll be out there till tea time at least. Pace of play is, well, not lightening.

Live scoring on RandA.org

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Can I ask why the British Amateur Championship is being played in Dublin?

Not trying to start some sort not in my country type debate.

Just genuinely curious what the reasoning is? Is it a one off type thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

The correct title is actually the Amateur Championship, not the British Amateur Championship.

It's just like the Open Championship which will be in Portrush next month, not the British Open. Technically these events don't have to be held in Britain at all although they almost always are.

And the ladies Amateur was on in RCD

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm no golf historian

But golf at an amateur level has been Britain and Ireland to even pre independence.
    Then Ireland have a golf union across the full island and also encapsulating part of the UK even further cements us into the game in Britain.

At the end of the day - the walker cup remains Britain and Ireland. Fairly deep links.

Much better scoring from a few Irish today with Caolan Rafferty shooting the best round of the day so far anyway.

Looking like 3 Irish in the matchplay stages. I was expecting a few more to be honest with the likes of Purcell, Murphy and Lester sure to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

Looks like 4 Irish through in the end.
    Caolan Rafferty, Eanna Griffin and James Sugrue into Round 2 of the matchplay. Round 1 for Ronan Mullarney

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Why I'm not sure but was played there back in the 40's once.

How would be down to Portmarnoch's president Gavin Cadwell being a former captain of the R and A.

Some lad got beat 9&8 this morning!!! He must have went out on the piss.

Ronan Mullarney made it thru his preliminary match and is out again now along with the three other Irish qualifiers

2/4 thru to tomorrow. Ronan and James Sugrue through. Disappointed Caolan Rafferty didn’t manage to get through.

Some comeback from James Sugrue. 3 down with 4 to play and he goes and wins the last 4 holes to win the match.

Ronan Mullarney on course to join him in the last 16 too as he is currently 3 up with 5 to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Both lads 2UP in the early stages of their last 16 matches!

• Advertisement

5 and 4 up so looking good for 2 quarter finalists

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mullarney is a super player. So consistent and his putting is as good as anyone in the world

Sugrue has really played his way into Walker Cuo reckoning now. He’s involved with the panel but this week could cement his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Is this being televised on any platform ??

Sky showed highlights of the final and some earlier rounds last year.

They showed the ladies last week so expect it to be shown.

All 1/4 final matches level early in the B9. Hopefully the 2 Irish lads can pull through.

All matches all square at the moment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Mularney 2 down

Struggling for par on 14 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Both Irish lads down now

• Advertisement

Sugrue birdies 18 to go down 19

Advertisement