Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's Eye sold?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Can't imagine why any private group would want Ireland's Eye as there's nothing you could do with it! I'd certainly like the wildlife to be given much much more protection than it currently gets on the island (it's nearly as bad as Great Saltee!), and proper surveying and management put into place. That being said, if I won the lotto or was doing up a list of wildlife sites I'd like the government to own it wouldn't be in the top 10 anyway.

Is there any link to confirm the island was sold? Or do you know the previous status of it? I thought it might be owned privately but Fingal CoCo had some sort of agreement in place? Maybe the agreement would still stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The sale of Howth Demesne was covered in yesterday's Irish Times and the island was mentioned as being included in this article: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/tetrarch-completes-acquisition-of-howth-castle-and-demesne-1.3908346

I'd agree that there are plenty of other sites that need taking into State ownership too, but perhaps Fingal Co.Council are in the driving seat with this one as the new owners of Howth Castle will be looking for all sorts of planning permissions?

As for the Great Saltee http://www.salteeislands.info/ ....it needs to be wardened or put off limits during the breeding season but as it's also in private ownership...and sure anyway isn't great craic for photographers and anybody else that the ferrymen can make a few bob off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

It's a shame to see it pass into private ownership, but hopefully the new owners will maintain it better then Fingal cc do, it's a feicing kip at the moment. Litter everywhere from the people who get the boat out when the weather is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

scoobydude wrote: »
    It's a shame to see it pass into private ownership, but hopefully the new owners will maintain it better then Fingal cc do, it's a feicing kip at the moment. Litter everywhere from the people who get the boat out when the weather is nice

It was already in private ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

It was already in private ownership.

Ah really? Well it was in some state by whoever owned it, so they still actually do those boat tours over to it in the summer? As they really added nothing to it but provided people to leave their rubbish there, it's been a few years since I went over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't think it was part of that demesne and the article just says the property has views of Ireland's Eye. Or am I missing something?

I didn't think it was part of that demesne and the article just says the property has views of Ireland's Eye. Or am I missing something?

I fear that it is I that missed something! I'm sure that I read it in the print edition of the IT yesterday but it was in the pub. More investigation called for on my part. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who's going to look after the wallabies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Wrong island, that's Lambay. A well run private island with little to no litter issues and an ecological gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Apparently, the recent sale of the Howth Castle demesne by the Gaisford-St Lawrence family included the ecologically important island of Ireland's Eye. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/470-acre-howth-castle-sold-to-irish-investment-group-tetrarch-1.3652116. This important sanctuary needs to be taken into State ownership and a serious conservation plan put in place as it as for far too long been a playground for vandals https://www.thejournal.ie/irelande-eye-scorched-damage-fires-gorse-dangerous-illegal-2180606-Jun2015/ Anybody any thoughts on this or is it just me being my usual alarmist self?

I may have made a mistake over the ownership of Ireland's Eye - more news when I get to the bottom of it - apologies.
    The vandals and antisocial bit is not related to the island. That's gangs of young uns coming in on the DART and causing mayhem on the harbour and in the village.

As for the fire, that would be more likely a cigarette butt, though arson is possible.

The island is in conservation plans and covered by a few SACs iirc.

While owned by the Gaisford-St Lawerences, it was administered by An Taisce and I think the OPW are now responsible atm.

It is part of the demesne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Tetrarch should do the decent thing now and just hand it over to the state.
    I don't think they even wanted it anyway, it just came as a freebie with the castle and demesne.
    If you go back to the origins of title, all 840 years, you are talking about some Norman with a big sword who has just slaughtered the locals and declares "I now own everything I can see". That's the level of legitimacy the private ownership derives from.

Just had it confirmed by Fingal Co.Council that the island was sold as part of the Howth Castle Estate. It now needs to be purchased by the State.

CPO it, as a national park, for one Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was on Ireland’s Eye a few years ago for a swim back to the mainland. You could stand on the beach part but you would be shredded by the overgrown brambles if you tried to venture inland. Completely inaccessible.

It would take an awful lot of effort and money to tame it, way more than the OPW has access to for a single project. Tetrarch are going to be spending 10’s of millions bringing the Castle up to 5 star hotel standard, they may also have the commercial nouse to throw a tiny fraction of their budget to make the island a commercial viability.

Good luck to them!

Tetrarch are going to be spending 10’s of millions bringing the Castle up to 5 star hotel standard, they may also have the commercial nouse to throw a tiny fraction of their budget to make the island a commercial viability.

Good luck to them!
    What, like a new marina for the super rich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Just had it confirmed by Fingal Co.Council that the island was sold as part of the Howth Castle Estate. It now needs to be purchased by the State.

While you're at it, would you happen to know who or what owns Dalkey island?

And those little lumps of land off Skerries.

Thanks.

It doesn't need taming, it needs protecting as a refuge for the wildlife that inhabits the island. It needs to be taken into State ownership and developed in the interests of wildlife rather than as a playground for picnicers and other less desirable elements.

As for the costs, well here's an example of a recent clean-up of the island by 23 volunteers which appears to have cost a bit of goodwill from a ferry operator and a feed of fish n chips from a local chipper. https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/irelands-eye-howth-15079176

Of course, if it's tackled with the usual hand-wringing, appointing consultants approach it might as well have an hotel slapped on it.

Here's another news item about the state the island has been let get into.

Forty-two people were taken from Ireland's Eye, off the Dublin coast, last night following a disturbance.

Gardaí went to the uninhabited island in response to a call from the emergency services.

A row had broken out among people staying on the island and one man had been stabbed.

The Howth inshore lifeboat brought a garda and two paramedics out to the island. They picked up six people on board a 16-foot boat drifting back from the island, which was carrying the injured man.

They were brought ashore and the injured man was brought to hospital, where he was released a short time later.

Nine other gardaí were then brought to Ireland's Eye aboard the onshore lifeboat, where another 42 people were recovered in three trips back to the mainland.

Nine other people have remained camping on the island.

Gardaí say no arrests were made.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0828/66931-dublin/

While you're at it, would you happen to know who or what owns Dalkey island?

And those little lumps of land off Skerries.

Thanks.

Dalkey Island belongs to Dún Laoghaire- Rathdown County Council but also needs taking in hand and properly looked after.

and here's all you need to know about the islands off Skerries: http://www.fingaldublin.ie/interior-pages/about-fingal/environment/islands/skerries-islands/

Here's another news item about the state the island has been let get into.

Forty-two people were taken from Ireland's Eye, off the Dublin coast, last night following a disturbance.

Gardaí went to the uninhabited island in response to a call from the emergency services.

A row had broken out among people staying on the island and one man had been stabbed.

The Howth inshore lifeboat brought a garda and two paramedics out to the island. They picked up six people on board a 16-foot boat drifting back from the island, which was carrying the injured man.

They were brought ashore and the injured man was brought to hospital, where he was released a short time later.

Nine other gardaí were then brought to Ireland's Eye aboard the onshore lifeboat, where another 42 people were recovered in three trips back to the mainland.

Nine other people have remained camping on the island.

Gardaí say no arrests were made.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0828/66931-dublin/

14 years-old news! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

14 years-old news! :rolleyes:

Righty, as long as I can remember - 50 years plus - the island has been notorious for troublemakers, arson etc., and I haven't time to search for more but I may later. What's your interest apart from removing those annoying brambles?

From Fingal Tourism website.

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2019-06-05%2B17-35-01.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

From Fingal Tourism website.

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2019-06-05%2B17-35-01.png

The Howth Peninsula is largely protected under the Howth SAAO - a total area of 547 hectares which includes Ireland's Eye (28 hectares), the heathland, woods, cliffs and wooded residential areas of the south-eastern half of the peninsula (519 hectares). The order designates a 21 kilometre network of rights of-way as public footpaths.

Howth Special Amenity Area Order
    In 1999 Fingal County Council recognised the exceptional character of Howth by making the Howth Special Amenity Area Order. The Howth Order was confirmed by the Minster for the Environment on 16th May 2000.

Thanks - but what does it mean in practice? Presumably it should prevent any development on the island?

Righty, as long as I can remember - 50 years plus - the island has been notorious for troublemakers, arson etc., and I haven't time to search for more but I may later. What's your interest apart from removing those annoying brambles?
    I have had a full view of the island for decades and will confirm that it most certainly is not notorious for troublemakers despite the single incident you refer to. Hyperbolic nonsense.

What's your interest apart from removing those annoying brambles?

Just spend a lot of time walking around there. Waiting to see what public access to Deer Park will be allowed once the new owners really take over....

tricky D wrote: »
    I have had a full view of the island for decades and will confirm that it most certainly is not notorious for troublemakers despite the single incident you refer to. Hyperbolic nonsense.

I beg to differ and just because I haven't time to search online for other incidents doesn't mean they didn't happen and I will be sure to post if and when I get time. If you seriously are suggesting that the incident I highlighted is the only one it is you that is talking nonsense.

Interestingly you contributed to a 2015 thread about the fire that I mentioned previously and you even referenced a 1977 fire yourself! https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449617

Ireland's Eye is like Bray Head and should be taken into State ownership and managed not left to go to rack and ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I spent a lot of my childhood on it and have been back a few times recently. I've camped on it a lot. It's a stunning island, there are lots of ways in to the interior, to the tower, the slot and to the peak. The cliffs a the seaward end are amazing with caves you can swim/canoe in to. The stack (although smaller now) is a great climb for enthusiasts as are the cliffs. Amazing summer mackerel fishing at the back of the island too.

There always has been a rat problem. This is a problem for nesting birds hence the "problem" herring gulls in Howth and Malahide. They're not nesting on the island as much as they did and I guess a pine martin would impact on the eggs and chicks more than the rats.

There isn't an anti-social problem.

I beg to differ and just because I haven't time to search online for other incidents doesn't mean they didn't happen and I will be sure to post if and when I get time. If you seriously are suggesting that the incident I highlighted is the only one it is you that is talking nonsense.

Interestingly you contributed to a 2015 thread about the fire that I mentioned previously and you even referenced a 1977 fire yourself! https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449617
    No notorious troublemaking is still hyperbole. You are extrapolating from a single incident in decades. You won't find anything that suggests any pattern.

And yes 2 fires in ~40 years but neither caused by arson. Both were misadventure - the arson bit is just made up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement