Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else noticed?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

the rise in people saying that their product is for charity and expecting you to turn around and say well hey i'll do it for free then :D. Just thought i'd get a discussion going about how to deal with this sort of problem when it arises.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭maxmarmalade

Yes very noticeable. We've been doing a few small free projects, for portfolio and to gain a reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ask them how much they get paid for doing their job. Then ask them would they like to do it for free. Then tell them to find another sucker unless it is a particular cause or charity that you support.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

did one for a group last year. they just paid my petrol.
    got hosting and domain,and the site almost finished bar some content.
    despite deadlines and another offer this year to find it they never replied and its now an expired domain.
    never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

the rise in people saying that their product is for charity and expecting you to turn around and say well hey i'll do it for free then :D. Just thought i'd get a discussion going about how to deal with this sort of problem when it arises.

What's more simple than just turning them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Cianos wrote: »
    What's more simple than just turning them down?

Not really a point though, if you want that piece of work and think it'll look good dya roll over or dya make them want to pay you ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Not really a point though, if you want that piece of work and think it'll look good dya roll over or dya make them want to pay you ?

Should you not always be making every potential client want to pay you? :pac:

Are you doing it to increase, or get a start on, a fresh portfolio? If so I could possibly see why you'd do it for free/cost of hosting, apart from that though, I cannot see any reason to do it unless you support that particular charity.

Advertisement