Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum extension size

Options
  • 01-04-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Is there a minimum extension size a builder will do in regards to it being worth while for them.

Thinking about a small utility/toilet approx 5m2. flat roof.

Are you still talking 1k a m2 approx?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,058 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

booooonzo wrote: »
    Is there a minimum extension size a builder will do in regards to it being worth while for them.

Thinking about a small utility/toilet approx 5m2. flat roof.

Are you still talking 1k a m2 approx?

the smaller the build the less economies of scale you get.

something that size could cost €10k

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

ouch! yeah that's what I was afraid of.

There will be other works on going too so I'll try get a price on it done together and hopefully closer to the 5k!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

You won’t get much done for €5k unfortunately, even if combined with other work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'll get nothing done for 5k. Well, nothing that is fully compliant with building regs, building control regs and done by a reputable contractor that observes all H&S obligations.

Get a local builder in, with a head on his shoulders, and work closely with him, and you could get something built for 5k, I'd say.

Not finished, but built. A decent en-suite 'suite' (shower, toilet, sink) will set you back about 500 alone. i wouldn't say it'd be completely impossible to get walls, a roof, with the electrics, pipework etc. done.

But i'd be prepared to have to put a few euro towards it if you wanted to get it beyond that. I don't think 5k would get it plastered, skirting boards, tiled, etc. (might buy you many of the supplied you need, but probably wouldn't stretch to actually getting them fitted).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If you do it on the cheap you will have to opt out of the BCAR certification process.

That is fine, but it might harm the saleability of the house and reduce it's value as there will be a question mark over the extension.

If you do it on the cheap you will have to opt out of the BCAR certification process.

That is fine, but it might harm the saleability of the house and reduce it's value as there will be a question mark over the extension.

I'm open to correction, but I don't think that is relevant on an extension below the 40sqm / planning permission mark?

Cheers for replies, Ye 5k is fairly optimistic. I wouldn't of expected any finishing for that. maybe sink/toilet plumbed in. No shower. and preferably plastered.

I wasn't aware of the BCAR so will look in to that.

thanks all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,058 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm open to correction, but I don't think that is relevant on an extension below the 40sqm / planning permission mark?

the vast of domestic works are subject to building regulations, and thus building control.... the list of exemptions is very limited

therefore this OP will have to comply with BCARS and, in my opinion, should definitely "opt out"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

booooonzo wrote: »
    ouch! yeah that's what I was afraid of.

There will be other works on going too so I'll try get a price on it done together and hopefully closer to the 5k!

thanks

Won’t be done for 5k with the cost of materials and remembering it’s an extension so needs to comply with building regulations with regards to insulation, air tightness etc

You will deffo benefit from scale of economies of getting other work done but again, depends on the other work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not to get into which system should apply here but your suggestion re opt out being dodgy and putting a question mark over a property is not valid.
    Every self build in the country is currently being done via opt out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a local builder in, with a head on his shoulders, and work closely with him, and you could get something built for 5k, I'd say.

Not finished, but built. A decent en-suite 'suite' (shower, toilet, sink) will set you back about 500 alone. i wouldn't say it'd be completely impossible to get walls, a roof, with the electrics, pipework etc. done.

But i'd be prepared to have to put a few euro towards it if you wanted to get it beyond that. I don't think 5k would get it plastered, skirting boards, tiled, etc. (might buy you many of the supplied you need, but probably wouldn't stretch to actually getting them fitted).

So from what’s broken out above say 15k complete? Considering tiling etc?

BryanF wrote: »
    So from what’s broken out above say 15k complete? Considering tiling etc?

Depends who you get. I did a sizeable enough extension under 3 years ago and it was pretty much built by two lads, with the exception of the more serious plumbing and electrical work, which was done by the registered lads.

Plumber I got was quite expensive. Since then, Ive had another plumber work on the house and he's nowhere near as hefty with pricing.

There are also corners you can cut if you want, or you can buy tiles off adverts etc. if its a small bathroom to save money.

I reckon €7,500 - €9,000 would see the OPs project finished to a decent standard, but there'd be a bit of shopping around involved. I live in Drogheda, though. Maybe Dublin's own economy-within-an-economy would cause the price to soar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP you mentioned ‘builder’, That would suggest you’re not planning on coordinating the trades yourself?

BryanF wrote: »
    OP you mentioned ‘builder’, That would suggest you’re not planning on coordinating the trades yourself?

I have been sub contracting so far for 1st floor renovations so not sure on the ground floor. might get a builder as timing will be more important

other works will include new floors/electrics/plumbing/tiling/carpentry anyway so hopefully can get good rates overall

prob be flat roof if that works out cheaper.

in the north west too so will let ye know how it works out if/when we get going

thanks

Advertisement