Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning just granted / Extension question

Options
  • 01-04-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Just been granted planning to build a new house. Over the past few months i have got it into my head to have house a little bigger , iv read somewhere that u dont need planning for extensions under a certain size , but in wondering can i build away this extension to a new build or will i need to re appy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The extension exemptions (40 sqm) only relate to works to an existing dwelling so no, you cannot build a larger house than you got planning for.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

mickdw wrote: »
    The extension exemptions (40 sqm) only relate to works to an existing dwelling so no, you cannot build a larger house than you got planning for.

Cheers for reply Mick

mickdw wrote: »

Actually another question , how long would house have to be built before i could add an extension without planning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Op I see this all the time, people building oversized homes.

Would you consider going back to your designer and just talking about what’s missing from the designed space?

My I ask, what’s the m2?
    And are you going with a main contractor to completion?
    Would you consider getting ab accurately price, based on what you have received planning for, with the designer & Qs’s support?

This is a great time to get this advice! professionals are working from home with sites paused.

BryanF wrote: »
    Op I see this all the time, people building oversized homes.

Would you consider going back to your designer and just talking about what’s missing from the designed space?

My I ask, what’s the m2?
    And are you going with a main contractor to completion?
    Would you consider getting ab accurately price, based on what you have received planning for, with the designer & Qs’s support?

This is a great time to get this advice! professionals are working from home with sites paused.

Really dont think im oversizing , should of had it a bit bigger from the start
    About 1800 sq ft.. Hoping to self build

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Actually another question , how long would house have to be built before i could add an extension without planning

If i was involved as supervising Engineer, i would want to get certification issued on completion for the planning compliant house. After that, it would be your own business.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Really dont think im oversizing , should of had it a bit bigger from the start
    About 1800 sq ft.. Hoping to self build

Ok. Well if you have your mind made up, go back to the planners, as finishing the house, getting it signed off, and then adding an extension makes no sense.

Either way consider the advice re talking with designer.

you can have a fine house for 1800sqft

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

completion

its not a "house" until its finished.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Apply for planning now to alter the previously approved by way of adding the extension.

It in no way jeopardises the original planning so even if it’s refused or whatever you still have your parent planning to work off.

You could in theory apply for the alterations while actively construction the parent application.

Advertisement