Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low pitch roof

Options
  • 30-03-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi all, going to start works on a house when all the chaos dies down, will be adding a small extension to back of house with roof pitch working out at 16degrees was hoping to put tiles on it ,question is can it be done and if not what are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Hi all, going to start works on a house when all the chaos dies down, will be adding a small extension to back of house with roof pitch working out at 16degrees was hoping to put tiles on it ,question is can it be done and if not what are my options?

There are several options for low pitched roof tiles. This is one
    https://www.roadstone.ie/products/centurion/

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Thanks Kieran,have you any experience with those tiles ?

I haven't installed them myself but I have seen them installed and they look fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

How about the plastic coated tile profiled metal sheeting, much simpler for the back ext

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we have those on our extension for the last 8 years, no leaks.

• Advertisement

How about the plastic coated tile profiled metal sheeting, much simpler for the back ext

Have you any experience with these, can velux Windows be put in and what are they like for noise with heavy rain etc as main bedroom and sitting room will be located under this section of roof.

loyatemu wrote: »
    we have those on our extension for the last 8 years, no leaks.

Are they much more expensive than the normal tiles to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Check the overall area of flat roof would not be greater than 20% of the total after adding the new roof. My home insurance is 2-3 times what it would be if that wasn't the case. Most companies wouldn't even quote. For a few extra degrees of pitch you might save yourself a chunk of cash every year.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Check the overall area of flat roof would not be greater than 20% of the total after adding the new roof. My home insurance is 2-3 times what it would be if that wasn't the case. Most companies wouldn't even quote. For a few extra degrees of pitch you might save yourself a chunk of cash every year.

Looking to have no flat roof area at all , it will be all pitch roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Looking to have no flat roof area at all , it will be all pitch roof.
    Sorry, I should have explained, we were told when getting a quote that anything under I think 20 degrees was counted as a flat roof for insurance purposes. It would be worth checking. Hopefully I'm remembering wrong.

• Advertisement

I believe its anything under 10 degrees is considered flat but best to check with your insurer for confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Are they much more expensive than the normal tiles to buy?

I have no idea, it was 8 years ago and the cost was absorbed into the cost of the extension. We'd originally planned a zinc roof but the cost was prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Have you any experience with these, can velux Windows be put in and what are they like for noise with heavy rain etc as main bedroom and sitting room will be located under this section of roof.
    Velux windows are fine, we have them.
    There is ply underneath over the rafters.
    AS for heavy rain, I don't know, I just take out my hearing aids
    :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement