Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plagiarism

Options
  • 12-12-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice, am in my final year of degree. I recently got disappointing results for a continuous assessment that is worth a significant portion of my final mark.

A fellow student, who I get on very well with, received a very high mark but I ran their paper through a plagiarism checker and it's 57% plagiarised. The lecturer is a last minute stand in and didn't use safe assign. I'm raging that I put lots of work into this and got a lower mark than someone who literally copied and pasted online articles.

I'm meeting the lecturer to discuss my result - do I raise the point that other classmates are getting better marks for plagiarised submissions or just mind my own business...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Nope, say nothing, pointing out what other students have done makes you look small.

It's also telling the teacher they're not doing their job properly - not a great way to score points.

Point out that if put through the plagiarism checker that yours was only x % as an indication of how much work you've done. (If they didn't know how to do it before you can guarantee they're gonna learn and will see their mistakes).

Don't be concerning yourself with other people's marks, they're the type that will get caught out when they enter the professional working world and Karma is a biatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Nope, say nothing, pointing out what other students have done makes you look small.

It's also telling the teacher they're not doing their job properly - not a great way to score points.

Point out that if put through the plagiarism checker that yours was only x % as an indication of how much work you've done. (If they didn't know how to do it before you can guarantee they're gonna learn and will see their mistakes).

Don't be concerning yourself with other people's marks, they're the type that will get caught out when they enter the professional working world and Karma is a biatch.

I really do feel for you, I saw them all copying years ago. They got caught out in industry. Lecturers are funny creatures that they may not all like eachother but come after one of them and they will all come after you despite their differences.

You are at a crucial time when you either need a reference for industry or you are applying for a Masters. Thread lightly. I never said it was a fair world but you could really upset the apple cart for yourself and others.

Advertisement