Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a technical definition of a behaviour

Options
  • 15-01-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm looking for a technical definition of certain kinds of behaviour, so I can do a little research into it. I'm looking for a technical term.

Basically, a malignant kind of passive aggressive behavior that involves the denial of resources. I'm taking about pathological behavior not simple once offs that have situational explanations.

Scenario one

You ask a person for some materially useful information which they possess, instead of responding with useful information, they respond with a dishonest answer deliberately designed to deny you access to a resource the correct answer would allow. This being a repetitive behavior to the point you can test them with trick questions into reliably malignant answers.

Scenario two

In recent years in parts of eastern Europe, where gypsy children were being excluded from education informally, against the states' legal obligation to educate these children, efforts were made to rectify the situation. Some school teachers were found, when forced to accept gypsy children, they were placing the children at the back of the room, facing away from the black board and deliberately excluded from partaking in the class room education. What is this kind of denial of resources called (google searches throw up the kind of denial I'm not interested in)

Scenario three

I could go on, but I'd really like help in building up a picture. In each situation, person A attempts to stop person B, accessing something person A believes would be a useful resource for person B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I guess what you are looking for is a list of terms for different types of psychological torture, and then see if you can find this one on it. This list would include things like gaslighting, learned helplessness, and stonewalling. I wonder if it's possible to get a list like that in the way it is possible to get a list of cognitive biases? Because some people might see it as a how-to list, so maybe that is protected information.

This is a serious tangent but it somehow reminds me of is this short Kafka story. Here it is narrated in a short film by Orson Wells that goes at the beginning of his adaptation of The Trail. In this case it's a sort of bureaucratic torture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPeI7-eVgc

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micky jammy delahunty

I guess what you are looking for is a list of terms for different types of psychological torture, and then see if you can find this one on it. This list would include things like gaslighting, learned helplessness, and stonewalling.

Yes, it is actually terms like that I'm looking for. It's interesting how these phrases come into existence. Like Gaslighting, you literally have to explain the plot of the film, to explain the term. Gaslighting for anyone who doesn't know, is when the abuser deliberately tries to undermine your sanity, by doing things and then denying doing them, usually with an accusation of your losing your mind.
    I wonder if it's possible to get a list like that in the way it is possible to get a list of cognitive biases? Because some people might see it as a how-to list, so maybe that is protected information.

It's like this, before people began using the term Gaslighting, the only way you could communicate the behaviour was by explaining scenarios. There wasn't a term. I had highly abusive family members, there was endless Gaslighting, I didn't know what it was, because every situation was different but the structure of the abuse was always the same. It's not the same as lying, it really is to undermine your sanity. Yes, Gaslighters can, and I believe they already are using the term. A classic piece of Gaslighting abuse, would be for the Gaslighter to accuse their victim of Gaslighting. If you accuse a Gaslighter of lying, they will accuse you of lying, and even say you don't know that you're lying, because you're crazy. If you can twig someone is Gaslighting you, then you can avoid walking into the trap.

Typically, psychological abuse is a trap that you need to walk into.

If you ever want to find if someone is consistently lying to you, you have to find some piece of information you know they know to be true, something inconsequential, it can't be something they may be ashamed of.

I'm talking about disorders...someone who occasionally tells lies, is not disordered...someone who can't help lying is a pathological liar, but, like a Gaslighter is not a pathological liar, the behavior is pathological, but it is a very specific kind of abuse once you get a label on it.

This is a serious tangent but it somehow reminds me of is this short Kafka story. Here it is narrated in a short film by Orson Wells that goes at the beginning of his adaptation of The Trail. In this case it's a sort of bureaucratic torture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPeI7-eVgc

No, this is not a wild tangent. This is actually a form of abusive behaviour Robert D Hare defines as a psychopathic trait; Gatekeeping...This is when the psychopath uses their control of some kind of gate to torture people by denying them access. The BTK killer, Dennis Rader, stopped his serial killing, when he got a job as a dog catcher and compliance officer, he used that government job to torture people.

What I'm looking to define is not Gatekeeping, where the reason is simply to derive pleasure by denying access through some gate. More, the school teachers who were very deliberately trying to use their power to stop gypsy children from learning to read. They wanted them not to have the resource..like they were actively trying to disable the children.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Racism but only applies to your specific example.

Racism but only applies to your specific example.

Yes in the sense, I'm talking about a behaviour a racist might do, racists don't necessarily act out their racism. It's the actual acting out I'm interested in. We could even be talking about social conservatives. People can be socially conservative without acting out their social conservatism malignantly. I'm also not really talking about a coherent political project; like education systems designed to stop working class children having access to middle-class credentials, and at the class room level, socially conservative middle-class teachers doing their best to intellectually impoverish working class children, so they can't access those middle-class credentials. The Irish education was horrendous for functioning like that.

I'm more interested in psychotic behaviour.

A scenario in a family where one or both parents have a personality disorder

One child is singled out for neglect....while the other children are not neglected.

The parents help the other children how to read, but they actively stop the singled out child in their attempts to learn....They deliberately attempt to give that child learning difficulties.....They deliberately hamper the child's natural learning processes.

I believe, I may have found the term

deprivational abuse

I've been looking at some papers. To define it in terms of child abuse and child neglect.

Child neglect is common; it's mostly to do with the parent having difficulty in parenting, they may simply not know how to manage the situation. They may send their child to school unwashed and smelly, but they do not do this deliberately.

Deprivational abuse. The parent very deliberately does not wash or dress the child adequately, it is not neglect. They deliberately send their child to school dirty and smelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Not keen on that particular example but I like the phrase*, it's nice and transparent and descriptive of a real thing. And visible in society too. When you have a housing fund but don't build social housing, for example, and how that will effect generations of people, as abuse generally does :(

*I remember my friends being screamed out of it because they got their "nice clothes" dirty by playing and "the neighbours will think i'm a bad parent"

maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement