Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job in september

Options
  • 07-04-2020 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭

I know there an awful lot on apart from jobs these days, but just looking for advice. i landed on my feet last year , i was staring down the subbing route in 2nd week of september. I spotted a job on education posts for history and irish only 11 hours and i went and gave in application got an interview but there were only 2 hours history the rest Irish, anyway long story short.Principal rang me the morning after to see would i come in and sub LC geography for teacher sick , it was just that week and then she gave me subbing the next week, next thing i was called in and given 1 st year history then 5th year history, and cspe 1st year. I also got career guidance , learning support and now since january co teaching 1 st year maths, also two TY classes one of horticulture, which the principal seems very happy with. im on what seems part time contract, just wondering where i stand for next year do people or DP and principals here think? The principal overlooked a very senior History teacher when giving me 5th year history for some reason i dont know. anyway I have been treating the year as one long job interview, being very flexible, doing whats asked and going all out with classes to make sure there running well. I have also already set up TY program for next year that the principal was eager to get up and running, i heard this on the grapevine from another teacher, and so got it set up for next year. Also have plans to expand and improve the horticulture TY module and maybe bring in an agriculture ty module. I was told my another DP to always make sure you can make a job for yourself in a school so thats what im trying to do. Now the job and hours I have are from another teacher on career break which maybe a few years at least, so not sure what else I can do. Whats the advice ? if they offer any small hours at all should i be happy and keep the head down, would other teachers look elsewhere if very few hours are offered. I left the school i did placement in year 2 PME and first year out with Droichead as they hadnt any subjects of mine to offer so i was ddoing LS. they offered plenty of those hours but I went looking for something in my subjects, i would be happy to do LS again in this school if i had a few history/geography classes.

Very sorry for the long post, but that time of year again and i would love to know where i stand. all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I know there an awful lot on apart from jobs these days, but just looking for advice. i landed on my feet last year , i was staring down the subbing route in 2nd week of september. I spotted a job on education posts for history and irish only 11 hours and i went and gave in application got an interview but there were only 2 hours history the rest Irish, anyway long story short.Principal rang me the morning after to see would i come in and sub LC geography for teacher sick , it was just that week and then she gave me subbing the next week, next thing i was called in and given 1 st year history then 5th year history, and cspe 1st year. I also got career guidance , learning support and now since january co teaching 1 st year maths, also two TY classes one of horticulture, which the principal seems very happy with. im on what seems part time contract, just wondering where i stand for next year do people or DP and principals here think? The principal overlooked a very senior History teacher when giving me 5th year history for some reason i dont know. anyway I have been treating the year as one long job interview, being very flexible, doing whats asked and going all out with classes to make sure there running well. I have also already set up TY program for next year that the principal was eager to get up and running, i heard this on the grapevine from another teacher, and so got it set up for next year. Also have plans to expand and improve the horticulture TY module and maybe bring in an agriculture ty module. I was told my another DP to always make sure you can make a job for yourself in a school so thats what im trying to do. Now the job and hours I have are from another teacher on career break which maybe a few years at least, so not sure what else I can do. Whats the advice ? if they offer any small hours at all should i be happy and keep the head down, would other teachers look elsewhere if very few hours are offered. I left the school i did placement in year 2 PME and first year out with Droichead as they hadnt any subjects of mine to offer so i was ddoing LS. they offered plenty of those hours but I went looking for something in my subjects, i would be happy to do LS again in this school if i had a few history/geography classes.

Very sorry for the long post, but that time of year again and i would love to know where i stand. all advice appreciated.

Have you a contract for these hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yes

yes

Then the those hours have to be readvertised and you apply.

Just make sure your contract hours are CIDable. Your union can clarify that.

If I were you, with your subjects, I would bite the hand of any principal offering me hours and this early in your career.

It's up to you - do you want to spend 30+ years in that school? Is there a good management team, collegiality, good discipline procedures, interested and academic students - that's up to you.

I would accept everything and come September, you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What are you actually qualified in? I'm presuming it's history and Irish. Not wanting to rain on your parade, but are there geography, maths and science teachers in that school who are entitled to hours before you? Was there any consultation with them (ag science teacher) on setting up classes in their subject areas? You said that you set up the TY programme for next year, but that you are also teaching TY Horticulture and Agriculture this year. Is there already an established programme within the school? Because if there is, it is a paid post, are you (perhaps inadvertently) stepping on the toes of the existing TY Coordinator?

no im geography and history, yeah in the interview last sept the principal and DP asked me about being a farmer and would their be anything i could do along those lines with the kids, i mentioned maybe something in TY, they said that would be great as they got new polytunnells and nobody to do anything in them, i told them i would look into maybe doing the Angus calves competition as well that other schools do. The Ag Science teacher was delighted with the horticulture set up and is using it now for her Ag Ascience class as is the biology and science teacher so I think they all seem happy. The TY co-ordinator seems very happy too and it was her that pushed it on to do Horticulture. Of course I will run all possible ideas past her first then management.

Yes I would be more than happy to stay in that school for 30 years. There are other schools and im not sure if I would be half as driven to do these things. the major pluses are ; well ran by management, lovely staff that made me feel really welcome, lovely students by and large. Ill put it this way, its easy to manage the classrooms because of how tight the school is ran and how good communication is between staff, very rare you have to really go in hard anyway with discipline and their easily rattled when you do. id like to think i have a good relationship with my students, i train the gelic team with another teacher too which i find great to build relationships with students.

Basically just wondered are there any things i can to make myself more employable. What exactly are the qualities DPs and Principals look for. My cousin is a DP and gave me some good advice, such as if subbing always have work on hand to give to classes who have nothing left for them, even worksheets or crosswords for TYs who rarely have work left. I did this and gathered some workbooks in different subjects to photocopy for worksheets.

I had subbing in an English class with 1st years back in November , the school had to wait to get an English sub so I got the heads up from other english teachers and went and taught them as best I could for the two weeks was this ok? The principal came in one day as this person has a habit of doing to new teachers and I heard back was impressed I wasnt just subbing so hopefully that sort of stuff helps or does it?

I know some teachers who say dont do anything extra unless getting X,Y,Z but I dont really roll that way. Ill do whats asked of me without complaint within reason, if the school are in a hobble sure i may need a favour the same way some day.

• Advertisement

no im geography and history, yeah in the interview last sept the principal and DP asked me about being a farmer and would their be anything i could do along those lines with the kids, i mentioned maybe something in TY, they said that would be great as they got new polytunnells and nobody to do anything in them, i told them i would look into maybe doing the Angus calves competition as well that other schools do. The Ag Science teacher was delighted with the horticulture set up and is using it now for her Ag Ascience class as is the biology and science teacher so I think they all seem happy. The TY co-ordinator seems very happy too and it was her that pushed it on to do Horticulture. Of course I will run all possible ideas past her first then management.

Yes I would be more than happy to stay in that school for 30 years. There are other schools and im not sure if I would be half as driven to do these things. the major pluses are ; well ran by management, lovely staff that made me feel really welcome, lovely students by and large. Ill put it this way, its easy to manage the classrooms because of how tight the school is ran and how good communication is between staff, very rare you have to really go in hard anyway with discipline and their easily rattled when you do. id like to think i have a good relationship with my students, i train the gelic team with another teacher too which i find great to build relationships with students.

Basically just wondered are there any things i can to make myself more employable. What exactly are the qualities DPs and Principals look for. My cousin is a DP and gave me some good advice, such as if subbing always have work on hand to give to classes who have nothing left for them, even worksheets or crosswords for TYs who rarely have work left. I did this and gathered some workbooks in different subjects to photocopy for worksheets.

I had subbing in an English class with 1st years back in November , the school had to wait to get an English sub so I got the heads up from other english teachers and went and taught them as best I could for the two weeks was this ok? The principal came in one day as this person has a habit of doing to new teachers and I heard back was impressed I wasnt just subbing so hopefully that sort of stuff helps or does it?

I know some teachers who say dont do anything extra unless getting X,Y,Z but I dont really roll that way. Ill do whats asked of me without complaint within reason, if the school are in a hobble sure i may need a favour the same way some day.

Well that's your question answered - I knew what your subjects are and as I said it is very difficult to get work other than subbing. You seem to be a good fit for the school. If we were in school, I would be urging you to speak to the principal coming up to the holidays to see what the lay of and land is - they will know as the returns will be completed by then. Just be 100% that you have an RPT contract or some RPT hours that can be used for CID next year. You've been very lucky since graduating. Congratulations.

great stuff thanks very much for the advice i feel i have been very lucky and am absolutely delighted working in that school. I have subtly let that be known to teachers when they ask, so perhaps it drips fed back to high office. Another teacher told me that very few teachers that come in leave unless they clash with management, usually they try to fix them up if they want to stay.

Advertisement