Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 46 3.47%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 383 28.91%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 535 40.38%
Scrap RTE altogether 361 27.25%
Voters: 1325. You may not vote on this poll

04-05-2018, 12:43   #46

This post has been deleted.
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 12:54   #47
jippo nolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
4166 people have to pay for their license just so Ryan Tubridy can have the salary he enjoys.
Thats a mind boggling figure for just one substandard presenter.
Maybe cut out the middle man “an post” and deliver the €160 to Tubs new pad in monkstown!
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2018, 13:33   #48
CJhaughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippo nolan View Post
Maybe cut out the middle man “an post” and deliver the €160 to Tubs new pad in monkstown!
I am sure lots would deliver something to Mr Tubridy but I am also quite sure that he may not have much use for what he would receive...
Thanks from:
04-05-2018, 13:37   #49
Testament1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich View Post
They used to show Oz years ago at all hours, it's the only good thing T na G did. Why in the hell are we paying for a channel that no one watches?
An Klondike was a great original TG4 mini series. Story of 2 Irish brothers trying to find their fortune in the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800s and the perils of a lawless frontier town. Filmed in Galway and featuring a mix of Irish and English language. More of that kinda work would absolutely justify their budget.

As for RTE, I recently had the misfortune of using the RTE player app to try watch a live Champions League game. The single worst media experience I've ever encountered. Pixelated hell and constant dropouts which could only be resolved by exiting the stream and trying again only for the same thing to happen a couple minutes later, all this on an 80mbps connection. Funnily enough the ads played in crystal clear uninterrupted high definition though.....
04-05-2018, 13:38   #50
quintana76

Quote:
I am sure lots would deliver something to Mr Tubridy but I am also quite sure that he may not have much use for what he would receive...
....especially if it was in a bucket and emptied all over his head.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 13:39   #51
JohnMc1

Send a message via AIM to JohnMc1 Send a message via MSN to JohnMc1 Send a message via Yahoo to JohnMc1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post

WWE has started the ball rolling on this one.
You used to have to pay SKY for Sky Sports to watch the WWE and then pay extra for PPV event such as Wrestlemania or the Royal Rumble.
Now you can go to the WWE directly and pay X amount a month and watch all the WWE you like including main events for a fraction of the cost over the Web.
IE SKY has been cut out of the picture.
Vince started the WWE Network to get rid of the Cable companies taking their share of the PPV income. Why pay $60+ for a PPV when you can watch it for free as part of the WWE Network service that only costs $9.99 a month? It starting the death knell of normal Cable packages was an added bonus. Now the major sports leagues have their own streaming services [aka.MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,etc] where for a flat yearly fee you can watch all the games you want.
04-05-2018, 13:44   #52
grahambo
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc1 View Post
Vince started the WWE Network to get rid of the Cable companies taking their share of the PPV income. Why pay $60+ for a PPV when you can watch it for free as part of the WWE Network service that only costs $9.99 a month? It starting the death knell of normal Cable packages was an added bonus. Now the major sports leagues have their own streaming services [aka.MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,etc] where for a flat yearly fee you can watch all the games you want.
Seriously clever guy, I wish I had is brains!
Laughing all the way to the Bank so he is!
I read he's starting up the XFL again!
04-05-2018, 13:44   #53
Ulysses Gaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc1 View Post
It's a stroke of genius by Vince really. But it is so simple that it is a wonder why others did not think of it before.

UFC springs to mind.

Don't think the XFL v2.0 will work.
Think he'd be better off buying the Carolina Panthers with some other wealthy owners.

I admire his balls in trying to start it again though.
04-05-2018, 13:45   #54
RockDesk

The salaries are ridiculous.

If they got rid of ads (like BBC), you could at least rationalise that that is what the licence fee is paying for
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 13:47   #55
grahambo
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Gaze View Post
It's a stroke of genius by Vince really. But it is so simple that it is a wonder why others did not think of it before.

UFC springs to mind.

Don't think the XFL v2.0 will work.
Think he'd be better off buying the Carolina Panthers with some other wealthy owners.

I admire his balls in trying to start it again though.
I'd say they're the size of cantaloupes
04-05-2018, 14:03   #56
PopePalpatine

Quote:
I'm sure he could hire a gardener to help.
Thanks from:
04-05-2018, 14:08   #57
Always number 1

https://www.independent.ie/entertain...-35989583.html

Tubridy works 5 hours per week on radio and 2 hours on tv per week and given the Late Late is off air during the summer and he is frequently missing from his radio slot, there's no way they can justify paying him €495k per year. Joe Duffy works just over 6 hours per week and gets just under €400k

Think she needs to look at the likes of the above for anyone to even entertain the idea of possibly paying their license fee
04-05-2018, 14:10   #58
Ulysses Gaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
I'd say they're the size of cantaloupes
Well he is the Genetic Jackhammer....
04-05-2018, 14:12   #59
Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich
Banned

I have to say I like RTE radio 1. Would never turn it on for Joe Duffy but I must be getting old because it's the only morning program I can handle, Paul Williams obviously makes Newstalk unlistenable.
Brian Dobson is a pro, he's really good, so that Sharon one can feck off with the salaries.
04-05-2018, 14:19   #60
weldoninhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always number 1 View Post
https://www.independent.ie/entertain...-35989583.html

Tubridy works 5 hours per week on radio and 2 hours on tv per week and given the Late Late is off air during the summer and he is frequently missing from his radio slot, there's no way they can justify paying him €495k per year. Joe Duffy works just over 6 hours per week and gets just under €400k

Think she needs to look at the likes of the above for anyone to even entertain the idea of possibly paying their license fee
As much as I hate Tubridy, and I truly despise him, the above is incorrect. He is on air 5 hours per week on the radio and on screen 2 hours a week on TV. But you don't just roll out of bed and go straight onto air or on screen though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion