Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 46 3.47%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 383 28.91%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 535 40.38%
Scrap RTE altogether 361 27.25%
Voters: 1325. You may not vote on this poll

04-05-2018, 09:15   #1
grahambo
Subscriber

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again - €60m uncollected fee

Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
That being said massive reforms are needed.
Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
He is nothing compared to them.
BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ly-840770.html

Last edited by grahambo; 04-05-2018 at 09:20.
(120) thanks from:
00sully, 1800_Ladladlad, Ace Attorney, Andrew76, Are Am Eye, backspin., blindjustice, Boxcar_Willie, bri007, ch20, Clair4, Coupon King, crossmolinalad, crustybla, cursai, Cyclonius, DaDumTish, dark crystal, Darranj85, dashcamdanny, DavidLyons_, de5p0i1er, deceit, dolallyoh, Dr Turk Turkelton, duffysfarm, Eireann81, erica74, FAILSAFE 00, floatwinner, fritzelly, funrunner95, Galwayguy35, gerrybbadd, h0neybadger, handlemaster, happyoutscan, iamtony, In the wind, IncognitoMan, Iseedeadpixels, Jane98, jiltloop, jim salter, joeysoap, johnpatrick81, Juanito13, justshane, KevinCavan, kevthegaff, kittyclaws, Kivaro, Knex., kubjones, ligerdub, LimeFruitGum, Longing, LostinBlanch, LynnGrace, Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich, marieholmfan, Marty Bird, mistersifter, Mo14, MOH, mojesius, Monife, mr c, MugsGame, mystic86, Negative_G, NeinNeinNein, New Home, nkav86, Ohmeha, Oops!, Pat Mustard, Pflano, pnecilcaser, purplepanda, quad_red, RacoonQueen, RDM_83 again, Rikand, road_high, robinwing, Roki Vulovic, Rory28, samjames, SaraKJohn, sdanseo, shockwave, Simi, SlipperyPeople, smokie72, SnakePlissken, snotboogie, Stark, steddyeddy, StereoSound, Stoner, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, Tazio, telekon, Teyla Emmagan, The high horse brigade, The Highwayman, thefloss, Titzon Toast, TOss Sweep, Umekichi, unkel, UsBus, Vladimir Poontang, vmb, Wibbs, WoollyRedHat, youandme13, yrreg0850, _Kaiser_
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 09:35   #2
weldoninhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post

I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.

I'd start smaller. Do we really need two fecking orchestras!!!
(76) thanks from:
00sully, 1800_Ladladlad, 2smiggy, Accumulator, Andrew76, Assetbacked, BeardySi, blindjustice, buswankers, coolisin, DaDumTish, daheff, Damien360, dashcamdanny, DaveyDave, DavidLyons_, de5p0i1er, Dr Turk Turkelton, duffysfarm, ebbsy, Eireann81, EmptyTree, erica74, givyjoe, grahambo, h0neybadger, happyoutscan, heroics, Iang87, In the wind, joefuss1986, joeysoap, Juanito13, Kaizersoze81, King of Kings, KingCong, Knex., Koloman, LimeFruitGum, Lollipops23, malinheader, McGaggs, Midnight_EG, mr c, MrBlack93, Negative_G, never_mind, Ninjini, nkav86, oh908ly6buvpew, pawrick, PopePalpatine, RacoonQueen, Rikand, sarah88, shanec1928, SlipperyPeople, Stark, SuperS54, super_furry, TheDavester, Timistry, tipp_Gunner, Titzon Toast, TOss Sweep, Umekichi, Uncharted, UsBus, Ush1, Venom, verycool, Vladimir Poontang, WesternZulu, Wibbs, Wompa1, yesnow
04-05-2018, 09:38   #3
kippy

Quote:

Do we REALLY need TG4?

I don't disagree with the general tone of your post however there are lots of services you never use and may never use that you pay for.
04-05-2018, 09:40   #4
Ulysses Gaze

The simple fact is that they need to start cutting their cloth.
Start downsizing the number of admin staff, start cutting salaries of presenters, scrap at least one of the orchestras.
04-05-2018, 09:40   #5
silverharp

I'd collapse RTE down to TG4 and Radio1 and sell off the rest. Get rid of the fee and set up a gov fund for worthy programme making. The licence fee is a real make work scheme for paper pushers
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 09:44   #6
Gannicus

I'd have:

1 or 2 radio stations

RTE 1 & TG4

1 Orchestra

Huge paycuts and reshuffling of the "stars".
04-05-2018, 10:01   #7
ninja 12

Quote:

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Gaze View Post
The simple fact is that they need to start cutting their cloth.
Start downsizing the number of admin staff, start cutting salaries of presenters, scrap at least one of the orchestras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannicus View Post
I'd have:

1 or 2 radio stations

RTE 1 & TG4

1 Orchestra

Huge paycuts and reshuffling of the "stars".
As above , Keep RTE1 and TG4 .
Keep a couple of radio stations .
Sell the site and relocate .

Slash any excess admin

Why do RTE need two orchestras ? Get rid of one .

The only Irish services I use are TG4 for the rugby and occasionally RTE Gold .

Even RTE Gold has gone downhill since it started .
It used to have minimal waffling by presenters , but now seems to be only broadcast to keep the likes of Larry Gogan etc. on the payroll .
04-05-2018, 10:05   #8
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
I was chatting with my violin tutor and he thinks most countries have more. I don't mind the country subsidizing them, however they should definitely play more outside of Dublin. Most of the country never have a chance to see them.

As for the TV license, I was one of the dodgers. I bought one a few weeks ago because of all the annoying letters they sent me.

I don't own a radio and only use my TV for my chromecast and xbox. I don't use a single service that they provide.
04-05-2018, 10:05   #9

Close it down.
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 10:06   #10
lawred2

RTE's arrogance, self regarding nature and it's general pervading air of self satisfaction is summed up in two words

Nicky Byrne

Six figure salary that lad was awarded sans any demand or competition whatsoever for his services
(115) thanks from:
00sully, 1800_Ladladlad, 2smiggy, beertons, BeerWolf, ben.schlomo, Billgirlylegs, blue note, bluedoll, Bowlardo, Bracken81, Bulmers, Cessna_Pilot, cherryghost, ChunkyLover54, colly10, corcaigh07, Coupon King, CrankyHaus, crustybla, currants, DaDumTish, DavidLyons_, de5p0i1er, deadlineday, deceit, duffysfarm, Eathrin, elefant, erica74, flas, flos1964, For Forks Sake, ForFoxSake, gerrybbadd, ghostchant, givyjoe, Glico Man, Grueller, Head_Hunter, Icsics, Ineedaname, Iseedeadpixels, jim salter, jmreire, joeysoap, Juanito13, Kaizersoze81, KevinCavan, King of Kings, Kivaro, Knex., Koloman, ligerdub, LimeFruitGum, Lollipops23, Longing, LostinBlanch, LynnGrace, M.Cribben, Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich, McGaggs, mconigol, mfceiling, morebarn2, munster87, mystic86, newholland mad, NinetyTwoTeam, nkav86, Noveight, oh908ly6buvpew, pawrick, PopePalpatine, Posy, Quandary, ray giraffe, RDM_83 again, Rikand, RikkFlair, robinwing, robman60, Roki Vulovic, Rothko, Rubberchikken, Schorpio, Simi, smurgen, SnakePlissken, snotboogie, steddyeddy, superelliptic, swingking, telekon, The Late Late Show, The Pheasant2, The Prince of Cumberland, thefloss, TheManTheMyth, TheMilkyPirate, Thinkingaboutit, Timistry, tonycascarino, TOss Sweep, Ultimate Seduction, Umekichi, Ursus Horribilis, UsBus, verycool, westernfrenzy, Wibbs, WinnyThePoo, Wojtek the Bear, WoollyRedHat, yesnow
04-05-2018, 10:07   #11
grahambo
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
Touché...
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2018, 10:12   #12
hmmm

I'm happy to pay a small fee for public service broadcasting, I think it's important we have an impartial news media - but I'm not happy paying RTE presenters half a million quid a year. I don't care if they go somewhere else, if I'm paying for "public service broadcasting" I don't want to be paying people who earn that much.

I think RTE needs to be radically downsized. Keep news, current affairs and some local broadcasting, but "light entertainment" and generic music channels should be private sector only. The license fee should be allocated to other broadcasters if they can provide the appropriate content. RTE should be closer to NPR in the U.S. and they should not be competing for advertisers.
04-05-2018, 10:19   #14
minikin

Scrap the license fee and privatise RTÉ.
It’ll stand or fall on the value it creates.

We have the worst of all options at the moment... dipping their hands in our pockets to pay millionaires, mediocre programming, endless repeats and constant advertising.

Last edited by minikin; 04-05-2018 at 10:23.
04-05-2018, 10:21   #15
grahambo
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
I'm happy to pay a small fee for public service broadcasting, I think it's important we have an impartial news media - but I'm not happy paying RTE presenters half a million quid a year. I don't care if they go somewhere else, if I'm paying for "public service broadcasting" I don't want to be paying people who earn that much.

I think RTE needs to be radically downsized. Keep news, current affairs and some local broadcasting, but "light entertainment" and generic music channels should be private sector only. The license fee should be allocated to other broadcasters if they can provide the appropriate content. RTE should be closer to NPR in the U.S. and they should not be competing for advertisers.
I agree with everything you said. However, when it comes to international news RTE is not impartial. I feel it's very propaganda orientated. (But then again so is every other country)
I also think there might be someone pulling the strings on what is and what is not reported. IE there is an agenda.
RTE have also been caught in the past altering the sequence in which news clips are played relative to the timeline in which those clips were actually recorded. IE who threw the first punch

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion