Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 46 3.47%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 383 28.91%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 535 40.38%
Scrap RTE altogether 361 27.25%
Voters: 1325. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 09:15   #1
grahambo
Subscriber
 
grahambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,172
Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again - €60m uncollected fee

Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
That being said massive reforms are needed.
Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
He is nothing compared to them.
BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ly-840770.html

Last edited by grahambo; 04-05-2018 at 09:20.
grahambo is offline  
(120) thanks from:
00sully, 1800_Ladladlad, Ace Attorney, Andrew76, Are Am Eye, backspin., blindjustice, Boxcar_Willie, bri007, ch20, Clair4, Coupon King, crossmolinalad, crustybla, cursai, Cyclonius, DaDumTish, dark crystal, Darranj85, dashcamdanny, DavidLyons_, de5p0i1er, deceit, dolallyoh, Dr Turk Turkelton, duffysfarm, Eireann81, erica74, FAILSAFE 00, floatwinner, fritzelly, funrunner95, Galwayguy35, gerrybbadd, h0neybadger, handlemaster, happyoutscan, iamtony, In the wind, IncognitoMan, Iseedeadpixels, Jane98, jiltloop, jim salter, joeysoap, johnpatrick81, Juanito13, justshane, KevinCavan, kevthegaff, kittyclaws, Kivaro, Knex., kubjones, ligerdub, LimeFruitGum, Longing, LostinBlanch, LynnGrace, Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich, marieholmfan, Marty Bird, mistersifter, Mo14, MOH, mojesius, Monife, mr c, MugsGame, mystic86, Negative_G, NeinNeinNein, New Home, nkav86, Ohmeha, Oops!, Pat Mustard, Pflano, pnecilcaser, purplepanda, quad_red, RacoonQueen, RDM_83 again, Rikand, road_high, robinwing, Roki Vulovic, Rory28, samjames, SaraKJohn, sdanseo, shockwave, Simi, SlipperyPeople, smokie72, SnakePlissken, snotboogie, Stark, steddyeddy, StereoSound, Stoner, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, Tazio, telekon, Teyla Emmagan, The high horse brigade, The Highwayman, thefloss, Titzon Toast, TOss Sweep, Umekichi, unkel, UsBus, Vladimir Poontang, vmb, Wibbs, WoollyRedHat, youandme13, yrreg0850, _Kaiser_
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 09:35   #2
weldoninhio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
That being said massive reforms are needed.
Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
He is nothing compared to them.
BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ly-840770.html
I'd start smaller. Do we really need two fecking orchestras!!!
weldoninhio is offline  
(76) thanks from:
00sully, 1800_Ladladlad, 2smiggy, Accumulator, Andrew76, Assetbacked, BeardySi, blindjustice, buswankers, coolisin, DaDumTish, daheff, Damien360, dashcamdanny, DaveyDave, DavidLyons_, de5p0i1er, Dr Turk Turkelton, duffysfarm, ebbsy, Eireann81, EmptyTree, erica74, givyjoe, grahambo, h0neybadger, happyoutscan, heroics, Iang87, In the wind, joefuss1986, joeysoap, Juanito13, Kaizersoze81, King of Kings, KingCong, Knex., Koloman, LimeFruitGum, Lollipops23, malinheader, McGaggs, Midnight_EG, mr c, MrBlack93, Negative_G, never_mind, Ninjini, nkav86, oh908ly6buvpew, pawrick, PopePalpatine, RacoonQueen, Rikand, sarah88, shanec1928, SlipperyPeople, Stark, SuperS54, super_furry, TheDavester, Timistry, tipp_Gunner, Titzon Toast, TOss Sweep, Umekichi, Uncharted, UsBus, Ush1, Venom, verycool, Vladimir Poontang, WesternZulu, Wibbs, Wompa1, yesnow
04-05-2018, 09:38   #3
kippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
That being said massive reforms are needed.
Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
He is nothing compared to them.
BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ly-840770.html
I don't disagree with the general tone of your post however there are lots of services you never use and may never use that you pay for.
kippy is offline  
04-05-2018, 09:40   #4
Ulysses Gaze
Registered User
 
Ulysses Gaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,815
The simple fact is that they need to start cutting their cloth.
Start downsizing the number of admin staff, start cutting salaries of presenters, scrap at least one of the orchestras.
Ulysses Gaze is online now  
04-05-2018, 09:40   #5
silverharp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,615
I'd collapse RTE down to TG4 and Radio1 and sell off the rest. Get rid of the fee and set up a gov fund for worthy programme making. The licence fee is a real make work scheme for paper pushers
silverharp is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 09:44   #6
Gannicus
Registered User
 
Gannicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,562
I'd have:

1 or 2 radio stations

RTE 1 & TG4

1 Orchestra

Huge paycuts and reshuffling of the "stars".
Gannicus is offline  
04-05-2018, 10:01   #7
ninja 12
Registered User
 
ninja 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there ,

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Gaze View Post
The simple fact is that they need to start cutting their cloth.
Start downsizing the number of admin staff, start cutting salaries of presenters, scrap at least one of the orchestras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannicus View Post
I'd have:

1 or 2 radio stations

RTE 1 & TG4

1 Orchestra

Huge paycuts and reshuffling of the "stars".
As above , Keep RTE1 and TG4 .
Keep a couple of radio stations .
Sell the site and relocate .

Slash any excess admin

Why do RTE need two orchestras ? Get rid of one .


The only Irish services I use are TG4 for the rugby and occasionally RTE Gold .

Even RTE Gold has gone downhill since it started .
It used to have minimal waffling by presenters , but now seems to be only broadcast to keep the likes of Larry Gogan etc. on the payroll .
ninja 12 is offline  
04-05-2018, 10:05   #8
Grayson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 14,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
I'd start smaller. Do we really need two fecking orchestras!!!
I was chatting with my violin tutor and he thinks most countries have more. I don't mind the country subsidizing them, however they should definitely play more outside of Dublin. Most of the country never have a chance to see them.

As for the TV license, I was one of the dodgers. I bought one a few weeks ago because of all the annoying letters they sent me.

I don't own a radio and only use my TV for my chromecast and xbox. I don't use a single service that they provide.
Grayson is offline  
04-05-2018, 10:05   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 528
Close it down.
dolallyoh is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 10:06   #10
lawred2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13,353
RTE's arrogance, self regarding nature and it's general pervading air of self satisfaction is summed up in two words

Nicky Byrne

Six figure salary that lad was awarded sans any demand or competition whatsoever for his services
lawred2 is offline  
(115) thanks from:
00sully, 1800_Ladladlad, 2smiggy, beertons, BeerWolf, ben.schlomo, Billgirlylegs, blue note, bluedoll, Bowlardo, Bracken81, Bulmers, Cessna_Pilot, cherryghost, ChunkyLover54, colly10, corcaigh07, Coupon King, CrankyHaus, crustybla, currants, DaDumTish, DavidLyons_, de5p0i1er, deadlineday, deceit, duffysfarm, Eathrin, elefant, erica74, flas, flos1964, For Forks Sake, ForFoxSake, gerrybbadd, ghostchant, givyjoe, Glico Man, Grueller, Head_Hunter, Icsics, Ineedaname, Iseedeadpixels, jim salter, jmreire, joeysoap, Juanito13, Kaizersoze81, KevinCavan, King of Kings, Kivaro, Knex., Koloman, ligerdub, LimeFruitGum, Lollipops23, Longing, LostinBlanch, LynnGrace, M.Cribben, Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich, McGaggs, mconigol, mfceiling, morebarn2, munster87, mystic86, newholland mad, NinetyTwoTeam, nkav86, Noveight, oh908ly6buvpew, pawrick, PopePalpatine, Posy, Quandary, ray giraffe, RDM_83 again, Rikand, RikkFlair, robinwing, robman60, Roki Vulovic, Rothko, Rubberchikken, Schorpio, Simi, smurgen, SnakePlissken, snotboogie, steddyeddy, superelliptic, swingking, telekon, The Late Late Show, The Pheasant2, The Prince of Cumberland, thefloss, TheManTheMyth, TheMilkyPirate, Thinkingaboutit, Timistry, tonycascarino, TOss Sweep, Ultimate Seduction, Umekichi, Ursus Horribilis, UsBus, verycool, westernfrenzy, Wibbs, WinnyThePoo, Wojtek the Bear, WoollyRedHat, yesnow
04-05-2018, 10:07   #11
grahambo
Subscriber
 
grahambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
I'd start smaller. Do we really need two fecking orchestras!!!
Touché...
grahambo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2018, 10:12   #12
hmmm
Registered User
 
hmmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,139
I'm happy to pay a small fee for public service broadcasting, I think it's important we have an impartial news media - but I'm not happy paying RTE presenters half a million quid a year. I don't care if they go somewhere else, if I'm paying for "public service broadcasting" I don't want to be paying people who earn that much.

I think RTE needs to be radically downsized. Keep news, current affairs and some local broadcasting, but "light entertainment" and generic music channels should be private sector only. The license fee should be allocated to other broadcasters if they can provide the appropriate content. RTE should be closer to NPR in the U.S. and they should not be competing for advertisers.
hmmm is offline  
04-05-2018, 10:19   #14
minikin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,246
Scrap the license fee and privatise RTÉ.
It’ll stand or fall on the value it creates.

We have the worst of all options at the moment... dipping their hands in our pockets to pay millionaires, mediocre programming, endless repeats and constant advertising.

Last edited by minikin; 04-05-2018 at 10:23.
minikin is offline  
04-05-2018, 10:21   #15
grahambo
Subscriber
 
grahambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
I'm happy to pay a small fee for public service broadcasting, I think it's important we have an impartial news media - but I'm not happy paying RTE presenters half a million quid a year. I don't care if they go somewhere else, if I'm paying for "public service broadcasting" I don't want to be paying people who earn that much.

I think RTE needs to be radically downsized. Keep news, current affairs and some local broadcasting, but "light entertainment" and generic music channels should be private sector only. The license fee should be allocated to other broadcasters if they can provide the appropriate content. RTE should be closer to NPR in the U.S. and they should not be competing for advertisers.
I agree with everything you said. However, when it comes to international news RTE is not impartial. I feel it's very propaganda orientated. (But then again so is every other country)
I also think there might be someone pulling the strings on what is and what is not reported. IE there is an agenda.
RTE have also been caught in the past altering the sequence in which news clips are played relative to the timeline in which those clips were actually recorded. IE who threw the first punch
grahambo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet