Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish tax on foreign based company

• 16-12-2018 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭

I am an Irish citizen but my company is based only in the United States. I pay taxes there but run the company from Ireland. What taxes, if any, do I need to pay in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sales / purchases in Ireland, if any - VAT (0-23%, dependent on product), possibly excise, import duties. That you don't trade here puts you in an odd position, which needs particular care. In the USA, you will have to deal with any sales tax, excise or duties.

Buildings in Ireland - rates (% dependent on council area).

Company profits - corporation tax (12.5%), can be offset against corporation tax in the USA.

Dividend withholding tax - on dividends, but this gets off-set against other taxes.

Income tax, USC, PRSI - on your income.

There are of courses allowances and credits.

You need professional tax advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

theglobe wrote: »
    I am an Irish citizen but my company is based only in the United States. I pay taxes there but run the company from Ireland. What taxes, if any, do I need to pay in Ireland?

You need proper advice; on it’s face your company is chargeable to corporation tax in Ireland either through being resident here (if you are sole director make senior level decisions here) or has a taxable branch here. There can be defences depending on the nature of the business but I doubt their availability. Also liable to register as an employer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Per the Double Taxation Agreement with the US

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tax-agreements/double-taxation-treaties/u/usa-1997.pdf

Article 4 Residence

1a Any person, who under the laws of that state is liable to tax therein by reason of his domicile, residence, place of management, place of incorporation or any other criterion of a similar nature.

A person includes a company. The company is resident in the US if it’s incorporated there (you haven’t actually stated the place of incorporation) but Revenue also apply the central management and control test to determine the place of management

The criteria are

The place where

company policy is decided
    investment decisions are made
    major contracts are defined
    the company’s head office is located
    the majority of directors live.

Other criteria can be used and you don’t have to meet every one to be deemed to have a place of management in Ireland.

If you’re managing the company from Ireland you likely meet the effective place of management as Ireland test and the company is also resident in Ireland.

Where a person other than an individual is resident in both states then subsection 4 applies a tie breaker and says the competent authorities of both states shall endeavor by mutual agreement to deem for the purposes of the convention the person to be resident in one state only.

The residence of the company isn’t yours to decide it’s a matter for Revenue and the IRS to determine between them.

As has also been mentioned even if your company is deemed a US resident you still have a Permanent Establishment (PE) in the Irish state and would be liable to Irish tax on any income attributable to that PE.

Per article 5

A PE is a fixed place of business through which the business of the enterprise is wholly or partly carried out and includes:

a place of management
    an office
    a branch
    a factory
    a workshop

Best to get professional advice.

Advertisement