Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordering new tyres from online website.

• 15-12-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Have to get full set of new tyres for a Skoda Superb,looked on Oponeo site,do many regular posters here buy from that site and do they find it good?
    Was looking at mid priced tyres and given I’m from the West of Ireland was thinking of going with All Weather Tyres.
    Don’t do major mileage in a year,approx 20k miles,mainly short runs on Country roads and the odd trip on motorway to Dublin/Galway.
    Usually go into Tyre Garage and take their recommended tyre for around 75 euro a tyre.....but like all choice on this site.
    Typically get plenty of rain here even in good year so that’s why I think All weather might be good call.
    Do tyre garages get pissed off if they see you landing in with 4 prebought tyres to get fitted?....or are they happy enough in general to fit them.
    Should I ring a local tyre garage to see first how much it would be for them to fit tyres?

Apologies for long post,really appreciate any responses this morning as will order the tyres today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You need them fitted when they are delivered.

A lot of tyre places will not entertain you.

I now have 3 guys that will do it. One because of a boardsie....

15 a piece is what I paid last year. The last time my local guy matched openeo when you include fitting.

My local guy always tracks the car when you buy 4. Nobody will when you bring them 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

You need them fitted when they are delivered.

A lot of tyre places will not entertain you.

I now have 3 guys that will do it. One because of a boardsie....

15 a piece is what I paid last year. The last time my local guy matched openeo when you include fitting.

My local guy always tracks the car when you buy 4. Nobody will when you bring them 4.

Thanks for reply,if I went to local Tyre Garage today (in reasonably large town) and told them tyres I was interested in,might they ring up to price them with their suppliers?......and see how competitive they are.Would ask how much they would be to fit etc.
    Not a ‘car’ person....is tracking a straightforward job?....does it take long?....ordinarily would tyre garages charge for tracking?Sorry for all the questions:).....are ‘All Weather Tyres’ a good call for Irish driving conditions?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for reply,if I went to local Tyre Garage today (in reasonably large town) and told them tyres I was interested in,might they ring up to price them with their suppliers?......and see how competitive they are.Would ask how much they would be to fit etc.
    Not a ‘car’ person....is tracking a straightforward job?....does it take long?....ordinarily would tyre garages charge for tracking?Sorry for all the questions:).....are ‘All Weather Tyres’ a good call for Irish driving conditions?
    Thanks.

Tracking is straight forward enough once the garage has the machine for it, will probably cost at least 20 euro and take about 15-20 minutes depending how much it is out by.

All weather tyres are ideal for Irish roads as we don't really get the extremes in weather that other countries do.

Ask all the garages in your area how much it would cost to fit tyres you bring in yourself, you won't be the first person to ask. Some will be more enthusiastic than others, you might be asked to take your old tyres away with you as it costs about 3 euro each to dispose of them.

My local guy has no problem with customers bringing in their own that are bought off the internet, I can get tyres delivered to my door in a couple of days cheaper than he can buy them off a rep he is dealing with for years.

I did a bit of research for the last set and Virgo tyres were the best value for what I needed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Tracking as a one off job be about 40 quid.

Fitting internet tyres 15 to 20 a tyre if he does it.

Ring a couple places and get a cost for tyres.

In my opinion stick to proper brand names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just out of interest I checked my local tyre garage on the way into town and its €15 a tyre and €25 for tracking. Tracking cost is the same if you provide your own tyres or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies....I’m crap with computers too so don’t know how to post a link on here but like look of Firestone Multiseason 205/55 R 16 @ 71 euro a tyre on oponeo.ie.....on oponeo rating they are ‘E’ for fuel efficiency anode ‘C’ for Wet weather conditions etc and 72db for noise.

Given my short runs usually in car is ‘E’ a poor rating for fuel efficiency or would it make feck all difference to car running costs?

Thanks again for all tips....will ring around local places.

my3cents wrote: »
    Just out of interest I checked my local tyre garage on the way into town and its €15 a tyre and €25 for tracking. Tracking cost is the same if you provide your own tyres or not.

Lot of places around here will track when you buy all 4 tyres from them as above

My €40 is going back to the once I needed it done. Sounds like I could've checked about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive been using those tyres (in a 195 15 admittedly) on my skoda octavia for a couple of years fine tyre, slightly higher road noise than a full summer tyre, will get youo through snow at a push.

my locl tyre centre sells loads of themat a decent price so i just get them there !

ive been using those tyres (in a 195 15 admittedly) on my skoda octavia for a couple of years fine tyre, slightly higher road noise than a full summer tyre, will get youo through snow at a push.

my locl tyre centre sells loads of themat a decent price so i just get them there !

Good to hear...will see if tyre place will order them themselves then....know feck all regarding tyre noise so is the noise you would hear more when drivers window is down on a good day?......have a 08 Superb so they aren’t the quietest car anyway when Diesel engine is running.Would noise be noticeable/annoying on a motorway?....although doubt it if you are happy with them for a few years.

As long as you don’t overbrake etc in ice or snow do they grip road reasonably well?

Thanks if you get chance to reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Whatever price you get online, I would try a few locals, as often (when fitting is included) they will match or not be far off the online price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are a very common sized tyre then there is little savings to be made buying online when you take the cost of fitting, balancing and recycling of your old tyres into account. You really only start to save money buying online if your buying less common sizes that are not in great demand locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭.red.

I've got Uniroyal RainSport 3's on my Octavia estate. Very happy with them. They are noticeably better in the wet.
    Can't remember what was on before but one patch of road I use can have a bit of standing water and the traction control lights would flash and the cruise would switch off. Since I put on the RainSports it hasn't happened once.
    Not sure if that says more about what's on it now or what was on it before but I'm on my second set and will go for a 3rd set when needed.

newmember? wrote: »
    Whatever price you get online, I would try a few locals, as often (when fitting is included) they will match or not be far off the online price.

I save 120 euro on four tyres by buying online and getting them fitted locally.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As others have mentioned, when you consider the €15-20 fitting price per tyre you might not save money online.

Have a look at a few tyres you might like and call a few of the local centers about fitting and see if they have those models.

Just make sure you don't end up some dodgy brands, some tyre places are pushing them to 'save you money'.

Buy the most expensive tyres you can afford.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, when you consider the €15-20 fitting price per tyre you might not save money online.

Have a look at a few tyres you might like and call a few of the local centers about fitting and see if they have those models.

Just make sure you don't end up some dodgy brands, some tyre places are pushing them to 'save you money'.

Buy the most expensive tyres you can afford.

You do realise that just because some product is the most expensive doesn't mean it is the best quality don't you?

You do realise that just because some product is the most expensive doesn't mean it is the best quality don't you?

Yes. Buying the most expensive you can afford doesn't mean buying the most expensive tyre available.

They could be looking at €50-60 tyres but could probably afford €80-90. There could be a huge difference in those tyres and the extra cost could be worth the safety.

Yes Buying the most expensive you can afford doesn't mean buying the most expensive tyre available.

Okeydokey DaveyDave.

Quick update....rang one Nationwide Franchise that are in local town.They charge 50 euro for tracking,check car for free and only do it if needed.Sounds a bit steep for the tracking?

They don’t fit outside bought tyres which is fair enough,I mentioned I like Firestone,Hankook etc .
    He has Continental All Weather at 105 euro a tyre fitted.Seems they are a good tyre, has ‘Barum’ then at 95 euro....think I will go with them...but will ring a few other places on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

newmember? wrote: »

I'd agree with this. Give them the chance to compete. You will generally find they can near enough match or better what you'll end up paying for the whole Job to be done with tyres bought online. Especially the indies.
    Saving you a fair bit of hassle in the process.

Quick update....rang one Nationwide Franchise that are in local town.They charge 50 euro for tracking,check car for free and only do it if needed.Sounds a bit steep for the tracking?

They don’t fit outside bought tyres which is fair enough,I mentioned I like Firestone,Hankook etc .
    He has Continental All Weather at 105 euro a tyre fitted.Seems they are a good tyre, has ‘Barum’ then at 95 euro....think I will go with them...but will ring a few other places on Monday.

What size tyre are you looking for? Barum seem to be a really cheap tyre, you're might be getting ripped off at 95 a corner.

Depends on what size you're looking for but the Barum Quartaris 5 look to be around €20 cheaper per tyre than the Continental AllSeasonContact.

• Advertisement

What size tyre are you looking for? Barum seem to be a really cheap tyre, you're might be getting ripped off at 95 a corner.

Depends on what size you're looking for but the Barum Quartaris 5 look to be around €20 cheaper per tyre than the Continental AllSeasonContact.

Thanks for reply....tyre size is 205/55 R16....worded my post badly......I would be going with the Continental...they are a decent tyre aren’t they?

Thought 50 euro sounded a bit saucy for the Tracking if needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

If you are after an all weather tyre you should check out the michelin cross climate, they are a serious tyre. A tyre supplier of mine recomended them for my wife's car this time last year when i was changing her tyres and i think they are the best tyres iv ever had on a car for all weather driving, including the snow in march as they kept the car moving even in really bad conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks for reply....tyre size is 205/55 R16....worded my post badly......I would be going with the Continental...they are a decent tyre aren’t they?

Thought 50 euro sounded a bit saucy for the Tracking if needed?

Anytime I've gotten it done it's been €20 with 4 tyres and €30 with 2.
    I'd imagine they'd probably charge the full €50 if I brought my own tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I ordered from tyre leader, which you pick your desired garage/fitter from when ordering. Had tyreland fit them.

205/55/r16 is probably the most common sized tyre sold these days. I wouldn't even bother going with these online as there is little or no savings in that size online v bricks n mortar.

There is also a ot of good brands in those sizes. Continental are a premium brand whereas Barum would be a not much heard of budget brand. There is a lot of middle ground between those two. Also some places will discount the cost of tracking if your buying the tyres from them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Tyre leader.ie (although they are not in Ireland) are usually the best value online.

205/55R16 is probably one of the most common tyre sizes at present. Most Irish tyre places are doing Chinese Tyres at E50 each fitted.
    I'm not saying that these cheap Chinese Tyres are any good, but it does tell you that as it is such a popular size you should be able to get fairly decent tyres for around E75/80 each.

edit: Bazz can type faster than me.......

I got the father Hankook Ventus Primes fitted locally in that size for his Auris at €75 a corner.

.red. wrote: »
    Anytime I've gotten it done it's been €20 with 4 tyres and €30 with 2.
    I'd imagine they'd probably charge the full €50 if I brought my own tyres

You misread post....the 50 euro charge is if car needed tracking adjusted,earlier posters saying average fee for tracking is about 30 euro.

If I go with buying the Continentals@ 105 each fitted with this garage I will be looking to get the tracking done for less than 50 Euro!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Whenever I get my tyres changed, unless the old ones were showing uneven wear, then I don't bother getting the tracking done. If the steering is pulling a bit left / right, or if I have recently hit a kerb, then I would get it done, and also maybe get a full wheel alignment check done. But if the car is driving normally, and not showing any uneven tyre wear, no need for tracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Tyreleader.ie... got Goodyear’s for my Beamer on it for great price. I’ve massive tyres and the difference in price was amazing..I was getting quoted way more locally for absolute crap tyres... great service and quick delivery time

Goodyear’s are serious tyre also... look really good on car and handling in dry and wet conditions are second to none... I used to think Michelin’s were the tyre to get... not anymore! They way too dear now and in my opinion the Michelin’s I had before the Goodyear’s weren’t half as good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I have to say that whenever I price it up it is only ever about a fiver a corner cheaper to source myself online assuming 20 a corner to fit and dispose vs. the guy I've been using since the 90s so I always go with him.

Barum is owned by Conti I think, as is Advance Pitstop. They do decent promos on Conti tyres from time to time.

LillySV wrote: »
    Tyreleader.ie... got Goodyear’s for my Beamer on it for great price. I’ve massive tyres and the difference in price was amazing..I was getting quoted way more locally for absolute crap tyres... great service and quick delivery time

Goodyear’s are serious tyre also... look really good on car and handling in dry and wet conditions are second to none... I used to think Michelin’s were the tyre to get... not anymore! They way too dear now and in my opinion the Michelin’s I had before the Goodyear’s weren’t half as good!

Michelin RFTs on our 3er last like nothing else we've had on it. Well worth the extra imho. That said we do have GY asy 3 on the Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Anytime I ever priced online tyres, taking into account the fitting price, and the fact that the local guy usually gives me a discount on the tracking if I get 4 tyres, made it a waste of time for me.

jmreire wrote: »
    Whenever I get my tyres changed, unless the old ones were showing uneven wear, then I don't bother getting the tracking done. If the steering is pulling a bit left / right, or if I have recently hit a kerb, then I would get it done, and also maybe get a full wheel alignment check done. But if the car is driving normally, and not showing any uneven tyre wear, no need for tracking.

I gave a kerb an awful whack with front passenger tyre a few weeks back, met a Lorry way over on my side of road on a narrow urban road and it was either crash into it or hit the kerb:(......so might be as well to get tracking checked.

Is wheel alignment a separate check and what roughly would it cost if anything?

Thanks for any replies.

I gave a kerb an awful whack with front passenger tyre a few weeks back, met a Lorry way over on my side of road on a narrow urban road and it was either crash into it or hit the kerb:(......so might be as well to get tracking checked.

Thanks for any replies.

I pay €30 for four wheel laser alignment on every tyre change, this is waived if I buy four tyres.

Given the shocking state of the roads and the price of the tyres I buy I think it's worth it.

PS tracking is the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you are buying anything in a bigger size and looking for good tyres, there are massive savings to be had online.
    My experience of tyre shops are that they are semi competitive with middle of the road brands in common sizes sold from stock.
    Asking about good stuff, they generally quote 300 each for anything from the premium brands and my tyres are not massive at 245 40 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks for any replies.

Definitely get the steering tracked after any kerbing incident, and if it involves both wheels on the same side, I would advise getting a wheel alignment done. Also if there is ANY kind of "Drift" in the steering when driving on a dead straight road. Point the car in a straight line, and loosely grip the steering wheel allowing the car to "take" it's own path. If it holds true, then it's fine. If not, you may have problem Costs for an alignment check are about €30.00 as a standalone job, but may be cheaper if you are buying 4 tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I recommend tracking every 6 months. We have never ever had a car go on our rack that had the tracking correct. Even one pothole can throw it out so its worth getting it done at least with every set of tyres.

Definitely get the steering tracked after any kerbing incident, and if it involves both wheels on the same side, I would advise getting a wheel alignment done. Also if there is ANY kind of "Drift" in the steering when driving on a dead straight road. Point the car in a straight line, and loosely grip the steering wheel allowing the car to "take" it's own path. If it holds true, then it's fine. If not, you may have problem Costs for an alignment check are about €30.00 as a standalone job, but may be cheaper if you are buying 4 tyres.

Thanks for feedback.....guy in tyre centre I rang yday said they check tracking for free and if it has to be done it’s 50 euro.....which I thought sounded expensive?

After kerb whack if the wheels needed ‘aligning’ is that then another 30 euro on top of the 50 euro for tracking if that needed doing iykwim?

Even if the prices including fitting are comparable buying online can still be advantageous because you get the tyres you want and not something the garage has on the shelf.

afaik most people just turn up with their car and get whatever is on offer in their price bracket.

• Advertisement

Thanks for feedback.....guy in tyre centre I rang yday said they check tracking for free and if it has to be done it’s 50 euro.....which I thought sounded expensive?

After kerb whack if the wheels needed ‘aligning’ is that then another 30 euro on top of the 50 euro for tracking if that needed doing iykwim?

Tracking and wheel alignment are the same thing. Technically tracking is not done anymore and most cars require full wheel alignment (adjustment of more than just the front toe) 50 is not an unfair price for 4 wheel alignment

rex-x wrote: »
    Tracking and wheel alignment are the same thing. Technically tracking is not done anymore and most cars require full wheel alignment (adjustment of more than just the front toe) 50 is not an unfair price for 4 wheel alignment

Four bolts on a ford focus one for each wheel not exactly rocket science making 50 a total rip off.

Four bolts on a ford focus one for each wheel not exactly rocket science making 50 a total rip off.

Its the setting up of the equipment, the fact many are seized solid and can take quite a while to free if at all possible and then the 10000+ kit has to be paid for. 50 isnt that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

rex-x wrote: »

Business overheads, equipment costs etc mean it's far from a rip off.
    I see this attitude myself as a self employed person who has to provide expensive equipment, insurances etc and people tend to judge cost by minimum wage rates.
    It's nuts really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Thanks for all replies....I’m crap with computers too so don’t know how to post a link on here but like look of Firestone Multiseason 205/55 R 16 @ 71 euro a tyre on oponeo.ie.....on oponeo rating they are ‘E’ for fuel efficiency anode ‘C’ for Wet weather conditions etc and 72db for noise.

Given my short runs usually in car is ‘E’ a poor rating for fuel efficiency or would it make feck all difference to car running costs?

Thanks again for all tips....will ring around local places.

Firestone at 71 + 15 to fit, madness. Heres a crowd in drogheda :

Goodyear Special Offers

175 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 55.00

185 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 65.00

185 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 72.00

185 60 15 DUNLOP ONLY 73.00

195 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 69.00

205 55 16 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 75.00

215 55 16 DUNLOP ONLY 115.00

225 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 105.00

235 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

225 40 18 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

245 45 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 169.00

245 40 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 150.00

Other Specials
    175 65 14 B F GOODRICH 47.00

205 55 16 MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER 85.00

225 50 17 BRIDGESTONE RUNFLAT 155.00

225 45 17 SEMPERIT SPEEDLIFE 80.00

Price includes fitting, balancing and new valves!

enricoh wrote: »
    Firestone at 71 + 15 to fit, madness. Heres a crowd in drogheda :

Goodyear Special Offers

175 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 55.00

185 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 65.00

185 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 72.00

185 60 15 DUNLOP ONLY 73.00

195 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 69.00

205 55 16 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 75.00

215 55 16 DUNLOP ONLY 115.00

225 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 105.00

235 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

225 40 18 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

245 45 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 169.00

245 40 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 150.00

Other Specials
    175 65 14 B F GOODRICH 47.00

205 55 16 MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER 85.00

225 50 17 BRIDGESTONE RUNFLAT 155.00

225 45 17 SEMPERIT SPEEDLIFE 80.00

Price includes fitting, balancing and new valves!

Thanks .....unfortunately don’t live near Drogheda.

Advertisement