Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Insurance

Options
  • 08-12-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi guys,

Currently in the process of adopting a pit bull cross from a rescue and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on insurers? I have my staffie cross (also a rescue) insured but had hassle when making a reimbursement claim for a vet visit with the previous insurers based on his breed, even though he was initially declared as such. :rolleyes: I'm aware that company names cannot be mentioned on the forum so feel free to PM me with any suggestions! Also without mentioning insurer names, just interested in knowing if anyone has had the trouble of insuring or claiming from insurers with a 'restricted breed'? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

You can’t mention one certain insurer

Allianz all the way.. been with them nearly 14 years never had an issue .. over the past 4 years we’ve claimed €3k per year easy and no issues with direct bet claim either

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SullDog

Great to know! Thanks for the input cocker5, very much appreciated. Just to ask I've done a quick estimate online which seems very reasonable but would you know from your experience if there is a higher premium for restricted breeds or is it a general cross breed premium, just make sure there's a muzzle and short lead in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

SullDog wrote: »
    Great to know! Thanks for the input cocker5, very much appreciated. Just to ask I've done a quick estimate online which seems very reasonable but would you know from your experience if there is a higher premium for restricted breeds or is it a general cross breed premium, just make sure there's a muzzle and short lead in place?

+1 for Allianz, ASFAIK they don’t load b/c of restricted breed. Have a look at the T&C’s but as long as you follow all the by-laws then there shouldn’t be an issue.

We have a somewhat snarky yorkie x so we also keep on a short lead & is muzzle trained so I always have it with me when we are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SullDog

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated! By the sounds Allianz shall be the way to go so. Can't understand how Allianz can be so easy to deal with, by the sounds, whereas the insurer I was with after paying year in, year out was an absolute ordeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I've a restricted breed (doberman) insured with Allianz. I've had 2 claims with them, absolutely no issues whatsoever, they are great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Is it possible to get insurance after your dog has had problems, meant to get insurance and recently noticed a big lump on her torso behind one of her legs. Will have to get it dealt with buy would it still be possible to get cover in the future and if so how much might it be? Was also recommended allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

1874 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get insurance after your dog has had problems, meant to get insurance and recently noticed a big lump on her torso behind one of her legs. Will have to get it dealt with buy would it still be possible to get cover in the future and if so how much might it be? Was also recommended allianz.

If she has been diagnosed previously before taking out the policy there will be a preexisting clause meaning no coverage until a specified amount of time. Not sure what the time period is but say for humans it can be 5 years.

Some people think the insurance is a scam but I wouldn’t be caught w/o it as our lad has orthopaedic issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Anything already diagnosed/ pre existing will need be covered!

BUT the lump if this is the first you e seen of it .. and it’s not be recorded by your vet then get insurance now .. once waiting period is over (assuming it’s a short period) then bring her to vet then this won’t be pre existing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Allianz here too and recommended by the Vets as easy to deal with.

Thankfully no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

cocker5 wrote: »

Anything already diagnosed/ pre existing will need be covered!

BUT the lump if this is the first you e seen of it .. and it’s not be recorded by your vet then get insurance now .. once waiting period is over (assuming it’s a short period) then bring her to vet then this won’t be pre existing
    too late, when the extent was noticed, brought her to the vet as soon as i could get an appointment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement