Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meter or not? (RM281)

Options
  • 03-12-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,
    I am new here; we are moving house and the new house has a meter type RM281;
    I inquired at Electric Ireland and they told me that the device is not a smart meter.

I would like to know if anybody could confirm to me that it is really not a smart meter. The meter has a number pad and previously was set up as a pay as you go meter ( which is has been disabled acc Electric Iteland).

Thank you in advance,

Marc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

RM281's are prepay meters, they are not smart meters.

ESB Networks does not have any smart meters generally available. There are some on test, but they're not available to the public yet.

They want us to pay something like a billion Euro's to install smart meters that have no advantage to the consumer yet they can't pay a single cent towards a proper electric car infrastructure, we're so far behind it's not funny any more. The billion Euro's would go a long long way to build a very good EV charging network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Moving thread to H&G/Electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

They want us to pay something like a billion Euro's to install smart meters that have no advantage to the consumer yet they can't pay a single cent towards a proper electric car infrastructure, we're so far behind it's not funny any more. The billion Euro's would go a long long way to build a very good EV charging network.

One advantage for the consumer is the end of estimated bills.

Cerco wrote: »
    One advantage for the consumer is the end of estimated bills.

That tiny advantage isn't worth the cost to the taxpayer, the advantage of a proper electric car infrastructure however would be tremendous.

If someone wants a smart meter let them go out and buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

20 million ear marked fir chargers last week.

Smart meters are to enable a smart grid which will enable EV charging on a large scale

ted1 wrote: »
    20 million ear marked fir chargers last week.

Smart meters are to enable a smart grid which will enable EV charging on a large scale

I didn't know about that in red above, thanks. I'll believe it when I see it ! :D

If people want smart meters then let them buy them, it should not be taxpayer funded.

I already have an energy monitor and call in my meter reading, big deal. I didn't need anything installed that will cause the PSO...... to be increased.

I didn't know about that in red above, thanks. I'll believe it when I see it ! :D

If people want smart meters then let them buy them, it should not be taxpayer funded.

I already have an energy monitor and call in my meter reading, big deal. I didn't need anything installed that will cause the PSO...... to be increased.

It gives the grid information which can reduce Costs. Time of use and eventually spot pricing a demand side mgmt can be introduced.

Actually 10 million (fat fingers )
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.completecar.ie/amp/car_news/8705/ESB-welcomes-government-investment-in-electric-car-charging-network.html

It gives the grid information which can reduce Costs. Time of use and eventually spot pricing a demand side mgmt can be introduced.

Actually 10 million (fat fingers )
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.completecar.ie/amp/car_news/8705/ESB-welcomes-government-investment-in-electric-car-charging-network.html

Yeah it's a billion Euro's of taxpayers money to benefit companies. Let them pay for it or the consumer if they want it.

As I said a Billion euro's would go a long way towards a electric car infrastructure.

Yeah it's a billion Euro's of taxpayers money to benefit companies. Let them pay for it or the consumer if they want it.

As I said a Billion euro's would go a long way towards a electric car infrastructure.

If the energy company paid for it it’ll just be loaded onto the bill.

For a smart grid to work with distributed RES smart meters are required. That’s the bottom line.

• Advertisement

The tax payer will pay for it with increased PSO or some other form of tax.

It would answer the Government to support a feed-in-tariff instead of paying to support the big energy companies for installing wind turbines.

The tax payer will pay for it with increased PSO or some other form of tax.

It would answer the Government to support a feed-in-tariff instead of paying to support the big energy companies for installing wind turbines.

Net metering could be a possibility with smart meters.

Net metering could be a possibility with smart meters.

It could but the real issue is that there has been so much support for wind energy that there is little room for anything else, there is room for 65% renewable energy, no more. Yes we could use smart meters to , for instance, divert excess to storage heaters or EV and I'd be all for that, there really is no excuse for heating our homes with oil, gas etc when we have electricity with more and more renewable energy in the mix.

I'd love to get rid of my inefficient oil heating for much more efficient electric heating with separate controls for each room.

At peak production we have 65% wind on the grid but at times wind power has to be reduced and exported because no more can go into the grid.

There is little support for solar PV even commercially.

It could but the real issue is that there has been so much support for wind energy that there is little room for anything else, there is room for 65% renewable energy, no more. Yes we could use smart meters to , for instance, divert excess to storage heaters or EV and I'd be all for that, there really is no excuse for heating our homes with oil, gas etc when we have electricity with more and more renewable energy in the mix.

I'd love to get rid of my inefficient oil heating for much more efficient electric heating with separate controls for each room.

At peak production we have 65% wind on the grid but at times wind power has to be reduced and exported because no more can go into the grid.

There is little support for solar PV even commercially.

I know how the grid works. It’s my speciality subject ;)

I know how the grid works. It’s my speciality subject ;)

Haha, no wonder you support smart meters....... ;)

Advertisement