Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GOAL Miles 2018

• 22-11-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭

Are you involved, are you going, do you know of one?

https://www.goalglobal.org/events/event/goal-mile

I'm involved in 3

Shanganagh Pk, Christmas morning, 9:30-9:40-9:50, now in it's 5yr

The Campus GOAL Mile, Cherrywood, Wednesday 19th Dec at lunchtime

A TY led GOAL Mile in Arklow (cinder track), Friday 21st Dec 13:15 - 14:15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How suitable are these for someone who would like to test themselves over the distance or is it more of a fun charitable event?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

How suitable are these for someone who would like to test themselves over the distance or is it more of a fun charitable event?

Thanks

More a charitable and a festive occasion, you could rock up to the likes of the track in Tallaght, but no guarantee you won't be running into traffic after 1-2 laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    More a charitable and a festive occasion, you could rock up to the likes of the track in Tallaght, but no guarantee you won't be running into traffic after 1-2 laps.

Very few 1 mile races out there. I know they are not the ideal event for clubs to put on but perhaps they could be run alongside a 5k or 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Very few 1 mile races out there. I know they are not the ideal event for clubs to put on but perhaps they could be run alongside a 5k or 10k.

Indoor miles in Abbotstown these days as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Medieval mile in Kilkenny early Dec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

In Tallaght, you can go all out. Doing it last few years and you have plenty of space. They start in waves so lanes 1 or 2 are usually free of any traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RayCun wrote: »
    Indoor miles in Abbotstown these days as far as I know

In fact there is one next week. 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not a GOAL mile, but Sli Cualann are doing a sequence of graded runs at the Charlesland track in Greystones on Friday 21st at 7pm (club fundraiser). But you can definitely go out and test yourself at Beepbeep's Shanganagh Park GOAL mile on xmas day. It's a very flat route and if you start at the front, you can run under 4 minutes, if you're up for it. ;) A great cause too. I'm sorry I'll miss it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

ALSAA Athletics organise a winter track race series: alternate mile and 3k races once a month between October and April. Details here: https://www.alsaa.ie/athletics/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Not a GOAL mile, but Sli Cualann are doing a sequence of graded runs at the Charlesland track in Greystones on Friday 21st at 7pm (club fundraiser).

Will be a reasonable crew of us aiming for 4.40 to 5mins in the sub5 mile at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Heading over to Irishtown Stadium on Christmas day. Great cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Again, not a GOAL mile, but there will be three in Raheny in April:

April
    Wednesday 3rd Winter League Rd 9 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile
    Wednesday 10th Winter League Rd 10 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile
    Wednesday 17th Holland Cup Raheny 7.30pm 3 Miles
    Monday 22nd Battle of Clontarf 10 St Annes 10am 10 Miles
    Wednesday 24th Raheny Open Mile Raheny 8pm 1 Mile

All welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Again, not a GOAL mile, but there will be three in Raheny in April:

April
    Wednesday 3rd Winter League Rd 9 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile
    Wednesday 10th Winter League Rd 10 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile
    Wednesday 17th Holland Cup Raheny 7.30pm 3 Miles
    Monday 22nd Battle of Clontarf 10 St Annes 10am 10 Miles
    Wednesday 24th Raheny Open Mile Raheny 8pm 1 Mile

All welcome
    Not that I'm organised enough to be planning what I'm doing next April, but is the last one the only one open to the general public (i.e. non-Raheny/non-club runners) or are all three?
    I like the idea of trying a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eyrie wrote: »
    Not that I'm organised enough to be planning what I'm doing next April, but is the last one the only one open to the general public (i.e. non-Raheny/non-club runners) or are all three?
    I like the idea of trying a mile.

They're all open to the public. I'm not sure why the third is called the Open Mile.
    There's a Winter League (started last night) open to everyone, Raheny, other clubs or none, and these races are towards the end of it. You don't have to do the whole series, it's pay as you go, open to everyone on a race per race basis (but only those who do at least 8 races are eligible for league prizes.)

The Open Mile is great because all the fast runers (as well as the rank & file) come down, as it's the selection race for the Road Relays.

Short answer - they're all open to everyone. All welcome! Last year there were 80-90 runners in some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic, thanks HelenAnne. I'll keep it in mind for April :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Are you involved, are you going, do you know of one?

https://www.goalglobal.org/events/event/goal-mile

I'm involved in 3

Shanganagh Pk, Christmas morning, 9:30-9:40-9:50, now in it's 5yr

The Campus GOAL Mile, Cherrywood, Wednesday 19th Dec at lunchtime

A TY led GOAL Mile in Arklow (cinder track), Friday 21st Dec 13:15 - 14:15

How does it work -I presume there are several different starts during the time period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

How does it work -I presume there are several different starts during the time period?

For Shanganagh the start and finish don't overlap, so we can start each mile on time. We have someone calling a running time at the finish line, so if you start in mile #2 you just subtract 10 mins and so on.

For the one on the track in Arklow, we'll wait for each one to finish before getting the next one going.

Cherrywood will be a mass start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Just turn up for Arklow at 13:00 with a Santa hat, a few bob for GOAL, and an unrealistic hoped-for mile time?

Advertisement