Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Health & Running, a compatible relationship?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I run for my mental health. In October of last year I wound up on the balcony of my apartment daring myself to jump. Since then I've been through therapy, took up running and tried to modify my lifestyle to manage to worst parts. I run when I get down or angry at myself or claustrophobic. Whenever things close in, I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

For me, yes, running lifted a very dark cloud from around me and through it I found ''me'' again

Grief was my catalyst, losing my mum and a baby within 2 months of each other I spent my days crying and wondering what was the point. I was not myself and distant from family and friends.

Running for me changed all that, I am in a much better place and its opened the door to meeting new people and I have made some great friends at my local running club and here on boards. IT also helps me cope with all life can throw at you and all the stress that comes with it.

Timbuk2 I have to say yes to your question and only because I got injured and could not run I was very down during that time and had some very bad days but I cycled a lot which helped, So if an injury ever happens I would cross train and keep talking, some fellow boards members from our DCM17 kept me going

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/i-am-happy-while-running-so-i-work-my-life-around-it-37587780.html

Interesting interview with our national cross country champion. One of the things that jumps out is the relatively high rates of depression among elite runners, in the US anyway. And also, perhaps, that running isn’t enough on its own - professional help is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/i-am-happy-while-running-so-i-work-my-life-around-it-37587780.html

Interesting interview with our national cross country champion. One of the things that jumps out is the relatively high rates of depression among elite runners, in the US anyway. And also, perhaps, that running isn’t enough on its own - professional help is important.

Fair play to him for talking about his issues, I know Martin Fagan struggled with depression towards the end of his time in the States that ultimately let to his demise. Can’t be easy for these lads/ladies going away to scholarships in colleges in the States, away from everything they know and are used to.

...running isn’t enough on its own - professional help is important.

Very true.

While running, like pretty much any healthy hobby or sport, helps, it may not be an answer in itself. So much of the social media soundbites around sport and mental health omit to note that it should be part of an overall approach that first and foremost should involve seeking help from a professional, a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

that running isn’t enough on its own - professional help is important.

It's important to make the distinction between using it for mental health benefits and treating mental illness.

Running, or any other form of exercise for that matter, has great mental health benefits. However, that doesn't mean it can cure mental illnesses, be it depression, anxiety or any other kind. Nobody should ever suggest that it can be used to ditch professional help; that would be grossly irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Well I took up running after breaking my foot and my marriage ending...not in a great place, but it really really helped.
    The problem is that 5 years later I am injured for the first time and can't run at all, it is definitly affecting my mood..agh.

4Ad wrote: »
    Well I took up running after breaking my foot and my marriage ending...not in a great place, but it really really helped.
    The problem is that 5 years later I am injured for the first time and can't run at all, it is definitly affecting my mood..agh.

I know that feeling, can you cross train I could cycle and found it great
    either way I hope your back out on the roads soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Baby75 wrote: »

I know that feeling, can you cross train I could cycle and found it great
    either way I hope your back out on the roads soon :)

I could cycle or try the exercise bike...
    Better than nothing but I just miss being out, even in this weather.
    My work Dr is sending off for a MRI scan to see whats going on.
    Thanks

I could cycle or try the exercise bike...
    Better than nothing but I just miss being out, even in this weather.
    My work Dr is sending off for a MRI scan to see whats going on.
    Thanks

if it does not affect your injury give it a go and it will keep you ticking over so it will be easier to get back out running when the time comes :) good luck with the MRI

• Advertisement
Advertisement