Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd Class Primary School Issues

• 17-11-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

our son is 8 and is in 2nd class in primary school.

he was caught taking things from the class a month ago, the teacher called us and we spoke to him, he returned the things he took and apologized.

at his parent teacher meeting his teacher said it did not happen since.

he was totally negative about him with nothing positive, she said he has issue with all his subjects, he gets resource teaching during the week, she said his homework is not always done, this was disputed as it is always done, and his spellings and tables are learned off.

she was saying he is disruptive in class by laughing at everything, he is easily distracted, he does not interrupt others but will laugh at others who are messing, etc

the teacher has a booklet that will questions and she has marked in about his behavior and his weaknesses and she asked me if he has any health problems, etc and she said this may indicate if outside agencies may need to be involved.

I was a bit shocked and now i am worried, in fairness she did not have anything good to say everything was negative and now i'm worried about this record book she is keeping, is she trying to find fault or looking to get results?

it may be his cards were marked over stealing from school its a small school and i do not want to fall out with anyone and turn the school against us, in fairness he is not rude or disrespectful to the teacher

i left disappointed never did he have a report like that before

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is hard for a teacher with a class of 30 students when children are disruptive.
    what did his teacher last year say?
    have you spoken to him about why these things are happening?
    Ask her can you put a plan in place together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

jacknife wrote: »
    our son is 8 and is in 2nd class in primary school.

he was caught taking things from the class a month ago, the teacher called us and we spoke to him, he returned the things he took and apologized.

at his parent teacher meeting his teacher said it did not happen since.

he was totally negative about him with nothing positive, she said he has issue with all his subjects, he gets resource teaching during the week, she said his homework is not always done, this was disputed as it is always done, and his spellings and tables are learned off.

she was saying he is disruptive in class by laughing at everything, he is easily distracted, he does not interrupt others but will laugh at others who are messing, etc

the teacher has a booklet that will questions and she has marked in about his behavior and his weaknesses and she asked me if he has any health problems, etc and she said this may indicate if outside agencies may need to be involved.

I was a bit shocked and now i am worried, in fairness she did not have anything good to say everything was negative and now i'm worried about this record book she is keeping, is she trying to find fault or looking to get results?

it may be his cards were marked over stealing from school its a small school and i do not want to fall out with anyone and turn the school against us, in fairness he is not rude or disrespectful to the teacher

i left disappointed never did he have a report like that before

Tough one. That record book is standard practice tbh. Every competent teacher should be taking regular dated notes and observations about students, whether it is documenting behaviour, documenting an area/topic/subject they are struggling in or if they are excelling in an area. It helps build a learning profile and when it comes to bringing things to parents or other staff members or even a higher level than that it is evidence. You can't just say "era I saw him do this one day". Also it can be easy enough to remember details about 1 child, but when you're teaching 20+ children you simply can't remember all the details hence why an observation book is invaluable. The questions are part of basic checklists I'd imagine. Teachers have to fill in in those learning support plans and again they all help build towards a learning profile of the child.

You say they were totally negative about him but they did say the stealing thing hasn't happened since which is a huge positive thing to hear.

You said he is not rude or disrespectful yet I would beg to differ. If he is doing things like stealing and constantly laughing it pretty much is being rude and disrespectful.

At least they were honest and said he needs help in areas and is already getting some help in terms of resource. It would be far worse if he was struggling and they were just letting it pass. Did you speak to the resource teachers and learning support teachers he is with on a weekly basis?

It is definitely not a nice thing to hear but it does sound like the teacher is on top of things and trying their best to help him out. Did they give you any recommendations of what you can do at home to help? Did they outline what the future plans might be if things persist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Thanks for the replies, his previous teachers had no issues with him, he was putting in the work, easily distracted. We are blue in the face talkign to him about ignoring the messers and to get on with his work

I understand its hard for a teacher, we are looking to speak with the resource teacher, and also going to get an educational assessment done in the new year

i dont think that laughing is being rude, disruptive yes and we do not agree with it and have spoken to him about it, its just he's so easily distracted

his homework is always done and checked and he can do maths and his writing its just his reading is an issue she was also saying about his speech, he attended speech therapy and they are happy not to see him again until next year just for a check up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To be fair, if you are "blue in the face" at home, imagine the teacher! Laughing may not seem a big issue to you, but it's likely that he is making others laugh and is causing disruption. Re keeping an account, this is very much standard and also will help support him. What is he attending special ed. for?

Advertisement