Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Blood Tests

Options
  • 10-11-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a detailed blood test.
    I've read you can get a basic one carried out by your GP, who'll refer you if a more detailed exam is necessary.

But, I want to skip that step, and just get a detailed one instead. I don't mind what it costs.

Anyways, my GP has refused to do these basic tests before because there was "no need". And I've heard of friends who were also refused because they were told that getting the tests would affect them getting a mortgage in the future!

What info I'd like is mineral levels, vitamin levels, any deficienies, etc.

Does anyone know of a company who can do this level of detailed testing for me?

To finish off, I don't understand why there seems to be a reactivate rather than proactive attitude towards health.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Sweg wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm interested in getting a detailed blood test.
    I've read you can get a basic one carried out by your GP, who'll refer you if a more detailed exam is necessary.

But, I want to skip that step, and just get a detailed one instead. I don't mind what it costs.

Anyways, my GP has refused to do these basic tests before because there was "no need". And I've heard of friends who were also refused because they were told that getting the tests would affect them getting a mortgage in the future!

What info I'd like is mineral levels, vitamin levels, any deficienies, etc.

Does anyone know of a company who can do this level of detailed testing for me?

To finish off, I don't understand why there seems to be a reactivate rather than proactive attitude towards health.

From your description it sounds like your GP was correct. Unless you have signs or symptoms there is no need to order any tests. If you are deficient in "vitamins, minerals or other deficiencies", that will elicit itself in the form of illness signs or symptoms.
    Even if blood investigations came back showing deficiencies, that does not mean you would automatically be treated. "Treat the person, not the results" is a common theme in medicine.

Now if you went to your GP describing symptoms, they are trained to order specific investigations to narrow down a differential diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

There is a proactive attitude towards health. The fact that you know about vitamins and minerals proves that. It's based on activity and variety of nutrition. A cornerstone of proactive health prevention is that any medical intervention, even phlebotomy, carries risk. That risk is only outweighed by the benefit when signs are obsrrved

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweg

Ok - so where do I go if I am interested to find out what my blood work is like?

Ok - so where do I go if I am interested to find out what my blood work is like?

Your GP. In Ireland only a clinician can request diagnostic tests. And the results can only be released to a clinician to interpret them.

On a side note I find the term "blood work" almost as odd as Drs and nurses calling phlebotomy "doing some bloods". It's like there are terms used to gloss over the existence of diagnostic labs!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweg

Your GP. In Ireland only a clinician can request diagnostic tests. And the results can only be released to a clinician to interpret them.

On a side note I find the term "blood work" almost as odd as Drs and nurses calling phlebotomy "doing some bloods". It's like there are terms used to gloss over the existence of diagnostic labs!

Grand. I don't understand why someone shouldn't be able to "interpret" their own results.

• Advertisement

Grand. I don't understand why someone shouldn't be able to "interpret" their own results.

Because nothing in biology is as simple as yes or no. The provision of reference ranges is a hughe pitfall in interpretation of an individuals results (especially without an understanding of where they came from). The ability to discern genuine results from possible interference or masking, the ability to discern a result worth acting on and the legal ability to diagnose and/or perscribe based on those results is why.

Your placing of quotation marks around the word interpret indicates your contempt and/or ignorance for the skill. It's like any other skill that's regularly done by skilled professionals, they make it look so effortless that people think it's easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Go to a homeopath. They will sort you right out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Go to a homeopath. They will sort you right out.

All they will do is lighten your wallet.

In terms of blood tests ask what are you looking for and why do you want them.

Advertisement