Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer switch for LEDs

Options
  • 04-11-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to get a dimmer switch for an LED light on our main room.

The light has five LED bulbs (Searchlight 230V, 50Hz, 4W - LED E14 2700k). My understanding is that I now require a 200W rated dimmer switch:

5 * 4 = 20W

10% rule => 20 * 10 = 200W load

Also, I am aware that for LED's a trailing edge dimmer switch is the best option and the for best performance that the dimmer switch should not be underloaded.

Our house has recently been refurbished with MK switches throughout and new wiring etc.

What are the best options for a LED dimmer switch - I don't want to add side lamps into the room as there is not sufficient space, so dimming the lights is the best alternative.

Any recommendation for a dimmer switch for this setup? My preference would be a MK faceplate as it would be in keeping with the rest of the house, but if there is a performance reason to go elsewhere then so be it.

I really want to avoid the usuall buzzing and flickering issues associated with dimmers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

First off, Do your LED's specifications specifically state 'Dimmable' ? If so, ok , If not, stop here.

Second. Your dimmer needs to be rated for a minimum load of less than 20W. LED rated dimmers are becoming more available, but there's lot of different terms used to describe them.

By any chance do the lights have individual wires that could be switch independently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

They are dimmable.
    It is a pendant with 5 LED bulbs.

Any recommendations of a decent dimmer?

I've looked at the MK K1523WHILV dimmer, but it got poor reviews so I'm hesitant about shelling out £35 for it. Obviously I would prefer it though as it would fit in better with the other switch in the house.

However the problem with it is that its operating range is 40W - 300W.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've looked at the MK K1523WHILV dimmer, but it got poor reviews so I'm hesitant about shelling out £35 for it. Obviously I would prefer it though as it would fit in better with the other switch in the house.

MK is generally great kit in my experience. Go to a descent wholesalers and I imagine it would be cheaper.
    However the problem with it is that its operating range is 40W - 300W.

This does not sound like a dimmer designed to be used with LEDs to me. 300W of LEDs would be a lot of LEDs, even 40W would be a lot.

2011 wrote: »
    This does not sound like a dimmer designed to be used with LEDs to me. 300W of LEDs would be a lot of LEDs, even 40W would be a lot.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Products/WD/logicplus/LED%20Dimmer/Pages/K1523WHILV.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    MK is generally great kit in my experience. Go to a descent wholesalers and I imagine it would be cheaper.

Whilst it's true that MK used to be great kit, I'm not so sure that that still holds true.

The technical document actually specifies 4W - 70W for LEDs:
    https://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/English/EN%20MK%20Technical%20Specifications/Wiring%20Devices/Logic%20Plus/T04%20LOGIC%20PLUS%20Tech.pdf

The link I provided previously quoted the halogen range for some reason.

I cannot find confirmation of whether the MK dimmer is Leading or Trailing edge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The link provided states that the dimmer is suitable for LED lamps but of a much smaller loads of 4 to 70W.
    Looks like it is suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

These guys know what they're doing. Have a couple of their dimmers myself.

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/dimmers-for-leds.php

Yes, those are the ones which get a good review on Amazon.
    However, I was hoping that the MK one would suffice as it would fit in with the other faceplates in the house.

I'm trying to find out if the bulbs are LE or TE compatible and whether they have a list of compatible dimmers. Osram have supplied a list and so have a few others (I think Philips). I can't see one for Searchlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I've been through almost all of the brands of LED dimmer. Stay away from MK, I would stand by MK for everything but the LED dimmer is not good.

I recommend the Varilight vpro, this can be configured for leading and trailing edge mode. However you will have issues with this dimmer if you have it set up in two way switch configuration as it causes the dimmer switch to go into configuration mode.

LED dimmers are not there yet.

alan4cult wrote: »
    However you will have issues with this dimmer if you have it set up in two way switch configuration as it causes the dimmer switch to go into configuration mode.

What is two way switch configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Try price here www.sparkydirect.co.uk

Get delivered using AddressPal from An Post

Well, I've narrowed it down to either:

1. MK LED Intelligent Dimmer Switch

2. Varilight 10w to 100w 2 Way LED Multi Grid Dimmer, Mounting Frame and Grid Plate

Both work out to be a similar price.

My main concern about the grid plate option is how much play there would be in the module. I've got some data face plates at home and there is a bit of movement in them - although they are rarely moved, so it doesn't matter for them.
    Might be more annoying for a switch.

Any recommendations out of these?

Well, I went for option 2 and it was very straightforward to install. The module is very secure in the grid and I'm impressed with the quality of it.

It arrived a lot sooner that I expected, so I've not yet got the necesary LED dimmable lamps for it.

Any recommendations? It is an occassional room (point of the dimmer is to avoid the need for a side floor lamp) so I was hoping to get something that was not top of the range.

I need 5 bulbs in SES/E14.

Megaman do Megaman 148200, but I was hoping to get something equivalent for a lesser price which was compatible with the V-Pro dimmer.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭LeBash

Go onto Amazon a pick up an eltako eud61npn-230v. You will need a push to make switch to go with it.

6 years now and havent found a dimmable led that it hasn't played nice with.

LeBash - I've got the dimmer switch installed I'm looking for LED bulb recommendations.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭LeBash

LeBash - I've got the dimmer switch installed I'm looking for LED bulb recommendations.
    Thanks.

Didn't see you had the dimmer. Can't help with lamps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Look into a blank mk plate and a dimmer pack that works best for you. Changing the packs is a common thing

Advertisement