Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

one length irons test

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Shot 2under gross on 12 hole comp yesterday to win with 32 points.

My putting was bang on and I had a good bit of luck.

I also had a number of very difficult mid-iron shots into wind, requiring some shaping and/or height control under or over trees.

While I can't definitely say one length clubs "helped" me get this score, I can now say that I can score well with them and they don't seem to get in my way :D

As quoted above, my last time out was a win.

Now I followed this up with a class win on an equal score with the listed overall winner (they must have it on countback).

With my previous win I had lucky breaks, great up-and-downs and a super day with the putter. This latest round came about through great striking of irons, driver and the wedges. I think I only made two putts outside of 4 feet and they were about 8 and 10 feet. I lost a ball on a par 5 and made green in reg & birdy with the provo (for bogey) and I had 100% GIR on all other holes. Softer ground conditions seem to suit me, there was also placing in operation, clean and drop in the rough, and Sunday morning conditions were nice and calm.

I still find the PW difficult to hit consistently. I only needed to hit the pw once during the round. It was hit bang on-line, but a little thin, pitched on the green but short of the flag by about 8-10 meters. I also struck a 4i a little thin another time in the round and missed the green right. With PW in my hand I do kind of secretly think to myself, 'oh sh1t, can I just punch a 9i or force the 48 degree wedge instead?' which is not ideal.

However, taken as a whole, over a little bit more time now, it's becoming clear that single length is good for me. I'm not struggling with high/low ball flight that others have struggled with. I still hit a few thin or fat with the longer clubs and are punished with a significant loss of distance for these.

I seem to hit my whole bag well while I have these irons in play, this was what I wanted to see (even it didn't happen overnight).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done Roadrunner, can see that handicap tumbling more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Minor update:
    Still going well. I don't see myself ever going back to regular length irons.

My form over the winter has been good. It's 12 hole winter competition format in my place, it's playing a little easier with placing on fairway and lift, clean & drop in rough. Rough is also down, and leaves are gone from the trees.

From my last 9 starts in singles games since 1st Dec. I've beaten my HC 6 times, equaled it once and failed to play to my HC twice. I've had outright wins twice, a division win once, also won in a team scramble event.

I'm driving the ball very well which is giving me opportunities with my new irons. And there's been a steady reduction in the number of bad strikes I've been hitting with these.

I still don't like the set pw, sometimes I take it out of the bag completely.

I didn't like the narrowness of the gapping of the irons in the beginning. There's really only about 40 metres difference in distance between how far the PW and 4i goes for me, HOWEVER.. :eek: I've lately started liking this :rolleyes: It makes it easier to pick a club.

I like these for the wind.

A minor annoyance is that with only one major manufacturer making these types of clubs you do not have much choice available in irons. I've seen the videos of the lovely new apex pro irons online but even if I won the lotto I couldn't switch to these without taking a step backwards.

Anyway there you go. Looking forward to the summer. I'll update again in summer, as I don't think the 4 and 5irons will be stopping as well on the hard dry greens in summer.

Advertisement