Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice Guitar Amp

Options
  • 26-10-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Gonna flog my old amp, cheap old Driver branded item and replace with something physically smaller but more importantly better sounding.
    Any recommendations?
    I was thinking Yamaha TH10, lot of features and versatile but also likely overkill.
    I honestly don't have any awareness of cheaper smaller amps, or more importantly the newer features that were never thought of when I was younger.

Won't be gigging, busking etc but some portability would be appreciated for when I head off in the campervan for a trip along the coast.
    Playing an electronic accustic & Yammy Pacifica on it.
    Interested mostly in blues but will be trying to practice some Spanish/ flamenco guitar as well.

Any advice appreciated, thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There are a whole tonne of amps in the low watt end of things. And there are a lot of amazing amps tbh, both valve and solid state. If I were you I would try and find a shop to try them out, as it's hard to find the best from youtube alone.

I have a Roland Cube Lite:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLAND-CUBELTBK-Roland-CUBE-LT-BK-Amplifier/dp/B00BJYOTQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540554922&sr=8-2&keywords=roland+amp

(Not sure if that's the best price around). But it's a fine small amp that also gets quite loud when pushed. It sounds like a much bigger amp than it is, and it doesn't suffer from the boxiness that a lot of small speaker amps suffer from. I'm a purely blues electric guitarist, and it fits the bill for me. Lovely tones, and I don't use any pedals with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

One of my favourites is the Pignose. Not very versatile, but great for blues and ultraportable. Battery powered, too, for outside playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I'd recommend a small solid state amp like a yamaha thr10 ...that's what i have and it's great. You can get some nice blues sounds out of it,.

You don't need to mic the amp to record in a simple free recording program like audacity. The above sound was direct fromthe amp...no mic used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Katana 50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

an amp with a good clean sound and a multi FX unit with amp modelling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement