Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job opportunities for SNA

• 23-10-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all, would love to become an SNA but would like to get some feedback first on whether or not there are any jobs out there! Also, course recommendations would be great! Based in Munster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe ask your local schools do they have a long list of people applying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

SNA provision is continually being cut. You'd need to talk to SNAs in your local area to see what the job situation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SNA provision is continually being cut. You'd need to talk to SNAs in your local area to see what the job situation is.
    There are about 1,000 more SNAs employed nationwide in 2017/18 over 2016/17

http://ncse.ie/statistics

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are about 1,000 more SNAs employed nationwide in 2017/18 over 2016/17

http://ncse.ie/statistics
    Ah, the press release... doesn't mention the number of jobs cut, or that many of those jobs above are part-time. And if an SNA job is cut, that SNA will take priority over other SNAs. Take it from me, I work in this area, the 1,000 is pure spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

SNA numbers have been static and are now rising. It's a few years since they were cut.

• Advertisement

Ah, the press release... doesn't mention the number of jobs cut, or that many of those jobs above are part-time. And if an SNA job is cut, that SNA will take priority over other SNAs. Take it from me, I work in this area, the 1,000 is pure spin.
    It's not a press release. It is a statistical report from professional researchers.

What most schools spin as 'SNA job cut' is a result of the child or children that the SNA supports either leaving the school, usually due to simply getting older, or SNA doing such a great job with the child that the child no longer needs direct support. A child no longer needing an SNA is a very positive development.

The facts remain that there are a thousand more SNAs this year than last year. Your work in the area does not give you a national statistical count.

I think it would be an eye opener to many to see how SNAs are allocated . “Access to an SNA “ can mean an SNA shared between 5 or more children . At present , SENOs are doing the rounds cutting provision - without any qualifications to do so and ignoring professional reports .

1,000 SNAs headline doesn’t take the ones cut into account in the previous allocation .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think it would be an eye opener to many to see how SNAs are allocated . “Access to an SNA “ can mean an SNA shared between 5 or more children . At present , SENOs are doing the rounds cutting provision - without any qualifications to do so and ignoring professional reports .

1,000 SNAs headline doesn’t take the ones cut into account in the previous allocation .

They weren't cut. They were allocated to other schools.

Oct 2013 - 8,301
    Jan 2014 - 8,422
    Sept 2015 - 9,476
    Jan 2016 - 9,582

Jan 2017 - 10,448
    May 2018 - 13,999
    Sept 2018 - 14,786

Close to double the number five years ago.

The question of allocation of SNAs to students is a different matter. This of course is dependant on the number of students with needs and diagnoses.

But the number of SNAs has been increasing steadily.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Fembo wrote: »
    Hi all, would love to become an SNA but would like to get some feedback first on whether or not there are any jobs out there! Also, course recommendations would be great! Based in Munster

In primary,secondary or pre-school?
    Have a look at the fetac level 5 and 6 SNA courses,no courses are required but they are a great start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Big demand for these jobs. They suit a lot of parents returning to the workplace part-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 uccstudentmom

I work as a substitute SNA (by choice as I am studying) and I think there's plenty of work out there. I haven't heard of anyone being cut for a good five years or so now and they are constantly looking for new full time and part time SNA's. Those who choose part time often want these hours as they might have kids etc.

Advertisement