Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just going by the trailer it looks pretty crap to me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You must have watched a different trailer to me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw a teaser for this a while ago and am looking forward to it. A score from Johann Johannsson can only help, plus the director's previous film Beyond The Black Rainbow was a great first film with confident direction and some very striking visuals and storytelling ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mandy_%282018_film%29.png

I came here this morning to make a thread: "Mandy (2018) - Film of The Year?"

This film was incredible. It's not a cheesy, tongue-in-cheek, "so bad it's good", Nicolas Cage film. It's a masterpiece. It's Lynchian-horror. It's Tarantino/Grindhouse horror. It's truly amazing.

This is my new annual film to watch on Halloween. Words can't describe how perfect this film is, just watch it, experience it, as soon as you can.

UK release date from IMDB states 12th October 2018, hopefully it comes to Irish cinemas then, too.

Don't read too much about the film beforehand, just know it's 1983 and somewhere in the primal wilderness near the Shadow Mountains, Nicolas Cage loves...Mandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've seen two people whose tastes usually don't differ too far from mine give this a 0/10 saying it is the worst film they've seen for ages?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I watched it last night and it is an amazing film from start to finish!,probably Nicolas Cage's best film ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Has a bang of The Void off it (which I liked!).

Never heard of this until a mate messaged me to watch it!

Then (because of the Baader-Meinhoff "phenomenon"), I saw a tweet about it and now this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

I was really looking forward to this, but I didn't enjoy it. I read some of the comments above saying that it looks or is a bad film, it is not. It is a good film, a very well made film with a fantastic and well maintained visual style. However I did not enjoy it, and that's completely subjective. You see going in I thought it was going to be, and it was sold as, balls to the wall, full Nic Cage freak out, hacking and slashing his way dozens, and in one pre-review it said he fought demons. When in actual fact it's quite slow and meditative, it takes it's time, nothing is done in a hurry. There's a lengthy section of the film that I found intensely boring, it occurs just after the openning half an hour and lasts about forty minutes. That's forty minutes straight of boredom. In fact, I would say that I found about an hour of the films run time extremely boring. With that being said, I'll rewatch it in about a year or so, this time knowing what the film is, and I'll love it. I'll rewatch it many times in what remains of my life, unless I die soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

It's definitely different :) Well worth a watch.

Oh dear.

Nic Cage does his best Nic Cage. P*ssed laughing at him screaming in the jacks.

Reading a few imdb reviews wondering why this is so highly rated (scrolling past all the pretention) and chuckled at this one.
    2 hours of absolutely nothing in red colour.

I agree.

• Advertisement

This is something that needs to be watched in the right frame of mind. And you have to be willing to buy into it like any horror. If you want to be cynical about it, then really there no point watching anything like this in the first place really. One can be cynical about any fantasy movie and if you are from the first minute the whole enjoyment as the director intended will go out the window.

For what this was it was very good I thought. Absolutely brutal in places. Not Cages best movie ever, and not the best movie ever but a refreshing cliche free movie that felt like it was made in 1983 instead of 2018. Thats the brilliance of what the director was able to do here to produce a memorable horror film that stands well above much of the 'attempts' at horror over the last couple of decades.

This is something that needs to be watched in the right frame of mind. And you have to be willing to buy into it like any horror. If you want to be cynical about it, then really there no point watching anything like this in the first place really. One can be cynical about any fantasy movie and if you are from the first minute the whole enjoyment as the director intended will go out the window.

For what this was it was very good I thought. Absolutely brutal in places. Not Cages best movie ever, and not the best movie ever but a refreshing cliche free movie that felt like it was made in 1983 instead of 2018. Thats the brilliance of what the director was able to do here to produce a memorable horror film that stands well above much of the 'attempts' at horror over the last couple of decades.

I'm a massive fan of horror (all styles), and can tolerate, even like, the slowest of slow; Solaris (original of course!), Blade Runner, 2001 A Space Odyssey, etc.

But, after mulling this over, this still comes across as some student arthouse project. The colours, the filters... (I get this is probably the point) were way too jarring I thought. Led to an 'ethereal' feeling throughout... almost a dissonance... which made me not give a damn about the characters.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was some meta-viral marketing for the new Bjork video. :pac:

Then again, it could be just some pretentious metaphor about overindulgence in culture as there are references throughout of various drug use (smoking, drinking, lsd, cocaine...
    whatever was in that jar that looked like cum).

At one stage I was expecting it all
    to be one big trip.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that it annoyed me so much I can still vividly remember the trippy set pieces... and Cage screaming trouserless drinking vodka in a bathroom which I'm still adamant was their "best take" of the day.

verycool wrote: »
    I'm a massive fan of horror (all styles), and can tolerate, even like, the slowest of slow; Solaris (original of course!), Blade Runner, 2001 A Space Odyssey, etc.

But, after mulling this over, this still comes across as some student arthouse project. The colours, the filters... (I get this is probably the point) were way too jarring I thought. Led to an 'ethereal' feeling throughout... almost a dissonance... which made me not give a damn about the characters.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was some meta-viral marketing for the new Bjork video. :pac:

Then again, it could be just some pretentious metaphor about overindulgence in culture as there are references throughout of various drug use (smoking, drinking, lsd, cocaine...
    whatever was in that jar that looked like cum).

At one stage I was expecting it all
    to be one big trip.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that it annoyed me so much I can still vividly remember the trippy set pieces... and Cage screaming trouserless drinking vodka in a bathroom which I'm still adamant was their "best take" of the day.

Its an arthouse project indeed, but I think its harsh to call it a student one. There was plenty of skill in the direction and shooting of this. Clever use of light to create and keep the mood. Can't imagine the budget was too big at all so for what it was I just think it was pulled off very well.

Cast was good, visually at least all fit their roles and characters very well.

The red is something you have to buy into I think. I can see why you'd think it was OTT, but probably it masked a bunch of visual flaws while at the same time creating the red mood of the film. Better then blue at least which too many people use these days!
    I like the feeling that you weren't sure if those bikers were human or what, and the last shots of the film alluded to they were in some different world or something which was a nice touch

The scene in the bathroom worked for me. But maybe its because I have a soft spot for Cage and think he is capable of decent acting. I can see with even a little cynicism if could be a kind of "oh come on" moment, but I think he pulled it off!
    If it had actually been made in 1983 I think it would be a classic B movie horror.

The Cage bathroom scene is a thing of beauty, and I'd much rather watch it over and over again, than watch say Leonardo DiCaprio's or Christian Bale's latest attempt to win an Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

As far as I know it os one of those films were dialog is minimal and the film is more a about artistic shots with music to accompany, I can really like films like this for Example Drive is one of my favourite films, I will check this out either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I thought it was a load of codswallop myself but it's always good to see Nicolas Cage actually trying. When he cares about the film and he's not just doing it for the money (though he is doing it for that too) then he really is such a good actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Needs to be watched on a decent sized screen with a good sound system and a bag of weed to get the full experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Crazy evil!!!" LOL

No idea what to make of this. Looks great and rubbish from the trailer. But, I missed it. Looks like the Lighthouse are showing it in October for a night. Might go then.

Wonder if the director is any relation to George Cosmatos?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tony EH wrote: »
    Wonder if the director is any relation to George Cosmatos?
    Son if Wikipedia is to be believed..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭brevity

The guys at red letter media loved this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Visually it looks fabulous; and while it's possibly not quite my cup of tea I'm quite glad these kind of insane, offbeat, almost GrindArtHouse style films exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The lighthouse have added a few more screenings of this this weekend and next week. Heading to the Friday night screening myself and really looking forward to it. I loved the trailer and the description of Lynchian horror sounds right up my street.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm catching it on Saturday and reckon I'll enjoy it.

Those of you who liked it should, if you haven't already, look up his previous film Beyond The Black Rainbow - for a debut film it's a very confident and impressively stylised, even if it's kind of out there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hard to nail down my feelings on this one. I appreciate its existence and often deeply loved its vivid stylisation, but there was something about it that held it back from truly sinking its teeth in.

Where to start with the memorable details? The cenobite-like bikers are a highlight - always captured with just the right level of lighting, they maintain their demonic mystery throughout. The landscapes are buildings are often gleefully phantasmagoric, as if existing in some alternate (and hellish) dimension. While it doesn't topple Bad Lieutenant from my own personal top spot in the 'manic Nic Cage' stakes, the man manages both to be riotously funny and uncomfortably intense here - while I'm sure many will favour the bathroom scene,
    the final sequence of a crazed, broken man staring madly into the camera after he's completed his journey into eternal damnation is one of his finest moments in recent years

On one hand, I appreciate the time given to let things escalate and for the mood to crystalise. I'm glad they keep Andrea Riseborough around as long as they do - she easily gives the best performance here (sorry, Nic). Not to mention that the scene where her face repeatedly fades in and out Linus Roache's is transcendentally good. Although, like Nicolas Winding Refn at his most indulgent, sometimes the long, drawn out scenes stick around without necessarily finding any deeper impact by doing so. But generally, the slow, ominous first half (
    two-thirds even - this is definitely one of the latest title cards in cinema history
    ) is well-judged.

It does build to what's an absolutely predictable revenge denouncement. Don't get me wrong - it's extremely well delivered, from the manic intensity of it all to moments of glorious madness (
    lighting a cigarette off a decapitated head
    ). But for all its visceral visuals, demonic characters, moments of vast portent, and lunatic religious / sexualised symbolism... I'm still not really convinced there's a whole lot more to it than a well-realised piece of schlock.

It's another reminder of what a goddamn loss Jóhann Jóhannsson will prove over the coming years. Generally, this film just an engrossing audio barrage and it's a hell of a spectacle in that sense. Don't do it a disservice and watch it at home - films like this are what late night cinema trips are made for.

I do think the very recent Climax is a more satisfying and focused cinematic journey into hell, but hey this is its own thing as well. There's probably not much under the hood here, but the hood is an acid-infused psychedelic hellscape - so that's definitely something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh. Don't really know what to make of it myself. The ending was kind of dumb
    he squashes the cult leader's head with his hands?
    . Or, at least dumber than the rest of the film?

But, overall, it was fairly enjoyable.

We came to the conclusion that it's better to view the latter part of the film
    as a fevered death dream that was going on in Cage's head as he slowly died, while tied up to the railings in front of Mandy's burnt corpse.

I watched the director's first film this weekend, Beyond The Black Rainbow (2010). Extremely weird, slow, acid trip of a film. I preferred Mandy, but still liked it.

Best metaphor I read in comparing the two films were, that "Beyond The Black Rainbow is an inhale, Mandy is an exhale", that would be quite a mind-melting double bill.

Caught it on Saturday night, it was as deranged as expected. The
    animated inserts
    felt a bit out of place to me (maybe because the style of those scenes felt jarring relative to the rest of the film), but otherwise it was a very effective film. Definitely better seen on a big screen with a crowd.

My description of it to a friend was "a film made by someone on acid who's listened to too much Goblin. With Nicolas Cage" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched it last night and really liked it, I could see the Evil Dead being a big influence also had nods to Jasper Now and Johnathan Glazer's Under the skin.
    It's one of those movies you are still thinking about the next day.
    I thought Nic Cage was excellent and people might laugh at him but he captured the inner turmoil of man losing his mind.
    Andrea Riceborough was great as Mandy and Linus Roache as Jeremiah I won't be able to watch Thomas Wayne in the same way ever again :D
    His disciples looked liked they belonged in The Hills have Eyes.
    Mandy is very much an arthouse horror movie that I really enjoyed. I look forward to Panos Cosmotos's next movie.

Great Q & A with Panos, Nic & Linus compared by the great Kevin Smith, worth the watch for anyone vaguely interested in the movie.
    One interesting point was that Panos wanted Cage to play Jeremiah. I could have seen him playing that character as well but Cage wanted to play Red.

• Advertisement

The Nerdwriter gives an interesting take on the use of film grain in Mandy.

Advertisement