Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

bk wrote: »
    You could rename the Sky and BBC favourites to something else that you might remember. Maybe Fox for Sky and Beeb for BBC.

Ah OK thanks. Where do I do this exactly?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zascar wrote: »
    Ah OK thanks. Where do I do this exactly?

I think you have to do it via the MyHarmony desktop app.

Under Favorites -> Edit Your Favourite Channels -> Click Next -> Select the Favourite Channel you want to Edit -> Modify A Favourite Channel

You can Change the name of the channel there. Don't forget to Sync the changes when done.

Just FYI, while the iPhone/Android Apps are nicer and easier to use then the desktop app, they don't have all the more advanced features that the desktop app has. I mostly use the iPhone app for setup, but switch to the Desktop app the odd time for more advanced features.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great Thanks bk. OK so I renamed them to BBC News Television, and Sky News Television. Now I can change to BBC News with my voice :) but still no Sky. Weird. It should definitely work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Unlink and relink the harmony skill inside the Alexa app with you harmony account. When you relink, you can add your own friendly names for each activity and channel again. Add a new friendly name for sky news, the other English news or something like that, and see if it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at getting the Harmony to control Hue Lights, Heatings and have the option of voice control change of channel for TV. Was looking at the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Smart-Devices/dp/B014GXQ9YW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1483444274&sr=1-1&keywords=harmony+hub

Wont be getting a remote as aim is to use Alexa.  The Harmony does not replace the Philips Hub it just interfaces with it that correct? Also for it to work with Horizon box and TV do I need to have a wifi plug, to turn on TV? After that what is required to change the channels any further adapters to add to usb ports of tv or anything else?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wont be getting a remote as aim is to use Alexa.  The Harmony does not replace the Philips Hub it just interfaces with it that correct? Also for it to work with Horizon box and TV do I need to have a wifi plug, to turn on TV? After that what is required to change the channels any further adapters to add to usb ports of tv or anything else?

Cheers

First of all, I highly recommend you get a remote, it really isn't a complete setup without the remote. Using voice all the time to just surf channels on TV sucks.

Yes, you still need the Hue Hub, it just interacts with Hue and can turn Hue lights on/off as part of activities.

You don't need a wifi plug (though it does support some of them). You simply leave your TV and Horizon box plugged in at all times (in standby mode) and the harmony hub turns them on and off (really standby mode) using IR.

Nothing else is required (though I highly recommend a remote, at the very least the Companion remote). The Hamrony Hub is an IR blaster (along with Bluetooth and IP control) and as such it acts like a normal remote control, sending remote control commands to the TV and Horizon box.

the hub will turn ont eh tv, it has ir blasters, no wifi plug required

i think you'll need a remote. volume change is very basic with just voice control, channel change is better but still not perfect. much as i love the voice control its more for setting up different activities for me, watch movie, play xbox, watch tv, watch bluray and it sets it all up, for channel change and volume i still use the remote

Cheers

Just priced the remote and its more expensive than the hub.Is the companion one the only option or can I use other's or app on phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Cheers

Just priced the remote and its more expensive than the hub.Is the companion one the only option or can I use other's or app on phone?

The companion one is the cheapest option. The hub alone will mean you'd have to use an app on phone or tablet which is good for some scenarios but for everyday usage the remote is a must in my opinion. the bundle with the echo dot for £130 with the echo dot is incredibly good value in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Looking at getting the Harmony to control Hue Lights, Heatings and have the option of voice control change of channel for TV. Was looking at the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Smart-Devices/dp/B014GXQ9YW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1483444274&sr=1-1&keywords=harmony+hub

Cheers

Hey Irish Gunner,

I already have a harmony remote. the harmony 900 (http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/5874) for some time now and it works well. I assume I could keep this for channel changing, volume etc and then get a hub to add voice control to things like "watch tv", "play playstation" etc?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Just noticed the skills for harmony appeared there recently.
    It's very handy, but very long winded.
    Alexa tell Harmony to turn on BBC News... (and she never get's it first time)
    Only really handy for when you cant find the remote.

But I would love if Amazon just allowed us to program our device, to know what we mean, so we can say stuff like "Alexa BBC News" for example, would make this very cool.

/Slightly off topic in terms of Harmony, which I am so happy I bought on the sale...

Nelbert wrote: »
    The companion one is the cheapest option. The hub alone will mean you'd have to use an app on phone or tablet which is good for some scenarios but for everyday usage the remote is a must in my opinion. the bundle with the echo dot for £130 with the echo dot is incredibly good value in my opinion.

Have Echo and Echo dot.May get hub and remote later if lotto numbers come in .

Have Echo and Echo dot.May get hub and remote later if lotto numbers come in .

The hub is about £90 and the one with the companion remote is approx £120?

The smart control (with the older remote with no light level buttons) is £110 (link below). That's the one I have, waiting on the companion one via parcel motel at the moment.

http://amzn.eu/aLE5Ciw

Nelbert wrote: »
    The hub is about £90 and the one with the companion remote is approx £120?

The smart control (with the older remote with no light level buttons) is £110 (link below). That's the one I have, waiting on the companion one via parcel motel at the moment.

http://amzn.eu/aLE5Ciw

The Link is that price for hub and remote, thought it was just for remote..Doh!!

So the below comes with remote and hub..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Companion-Universal-Control/dp/B014GXQ3S4

The Link is that price for hub and remote, thought it was just for remote..Doh!!

So the below comes with remote and hub..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Companion-Universal-Control/dp/B014GXQ3S4

Ha! Yes exactly! Couldn't understand where you were coming from!

Yeah scroll across on the images and you'll see the hub in one with the remote. Remote is useless without the hub!

OK this is really annoying. I was having a problem where I had to say "On Spotify" to get Alexa to play any music. Turns out my skill store was set to USA. I got it changed back to UK but now I have other problems. It wiped all the settings so I went to install the harmony skill - and instead of there being two skills, one red and one blue, now there is just one - red. It works but I have to say "Alexa, ask Harmony to turn on the TV". If I just say "Alexa turn on the TV" she has no idea. A small issue but annoying as I had it working previously. Is this the norm?

OK this is really annoying. I was having a problem where I had to say "On Spotify" to get Alexa to play any music. Turns out my skill store was set to USA. I got it changed back to UK but now I have other problems. It wiped all the settings so I went to install the harmony skill - and instead of there being two skills, one red and one blue, now there is just one - red. It works but I have to say "Alexa, ask Harmony to turn on the TV". If I just say "Alexa turn on the TV" she has no idea. A small issue but annoying as I had it working previously. Is this the norm?

Yes. The two colour skills is only available in the us. You lost those by switching to the uk store

In fairness the accuracy of what I tell it to do has vastly increased when i add "Tell harmony too" so its really not that bad.. A lot of my other stuff is messed up since I cant seem to get my tplink plugs working but I'll get it eventually I'm sure

In fairness the accuracy of what I tell it to do has vastly increased when i add "Tell harmony too" so its really not that bad.. A lot of my other stuff is messed up since I cant seem to get my tplink plugs working but I'll get it eventually I'm sure

really? thats a pity, although i have my hue lights, all the harmony stuff and my tp link switches working with alexa, i have to say the tp link switches were the easiest to set up and have been the most straightforward of all the gear.

mossym wrote: »

really? thats a pity, although i have my hue lights, all the harmony stuff and my tp link switches working with alexa, i have to say the tp link switches were the easiest to set up and have been the most straightforward of all the gear.
    Have a few TP Link plugs and looking at getting the Harmony. Can they be linked up with the Harmony?

• Advertisement

Have a few TP Link plugs and looking at getting the Harmony. Can they be linked up with the Harmony?

Nope, but you can link them (the plugs) with alexa. if you wanted to switch everything off and then power off at the plug would take two voice commands.

i use the tp link switches on things like
    - wall lamps
    -kitchen radio (echo dot plugged in via 3.5mm cable, so i used a tp link switch to avoid having the radio on full time, first command every morning then is alex switch on kitchen radio and i can leave the radio switched on and left on the 3.5mm input)
    - electric blanket - wife loves been able to turn it on from downstairs while watching tv, and not have to go up to turn it on. (it's only on her side of the bed, i can't stand the things)

i don't use them on any gear that the harmony controls

They do different things. For the TV, just get the harmony. No point in trying to turn tv on and off etc with tp link, harmony does it brilliantly.

They do different things. For the TV, just get the harmony. No point in trying to turn tv on and off etc with tp link, harmony does it brilliantly.

it likely wouldn't work anyway, you;d need two commands, when the plug turned on, the tv would go into standby, you'd need another command from the harmony to switch on the tv.

if you wanted minimal energy use it would make sense i guess. right now though you'd need two alexa voice commands. one to switch on the tp link plug, another to trigger power on via harmony

Have 2 at the moment one using downstairs lamp and another for the Xmas tree so thinking of using it for the Electric blanket in the same situation as Mossym

Have 2 at the moment one using downstairs lamp and another for the Xmas tree so thinking of using it for the Electric blanket in the same situation as Mossym

highly recommended. the wife had an automatic method of switching it on before, it was to tell me to run up and put it on for her. i prefer this.

No. Blekin Wemo switches however can be controlled indirectly via IFTTT
    https://ifttt.com/connect/harmony/wemo_switch
    it likely wouldn't work anyway, you;d need two commands, when the plug turned on, the tv would go into standby, you'd need another command from the harmony to switch on the tv.

Yes, I wouldn't recommend it, though you could do it if you really wanted to. Harmony activities are extremely flexible. You can edit them to add multiple commands and even put a timed wait between commands. i.e.:

- Turn on Wemo Plug via IFTTT
    - Wait 30 seconds
    - Power on TV from standby
    if you wanted minimal energy use it would make sense i guess. right now though you'd need two alexa voice commands. one to switch on the tp link plug, another to trigger power on via harmony

I agree, I wouldn't bother putting a smart plug on your TV and AV equipment at all with Harmony. Instead just leave harmony switch devices to and from standby mode instead.

Modern devices really don't use much power in standby anymore, less then 1 watt (actually a maximum of 0.5 watt on all TV's sold in the EU since 2012).

To put that in perspective, that will cost you just €1.23 per year. Your smart plug likely cost about €30 to buy, so it will likely take about 20 years to pay back.

But even worse, the smart plugs use power to run all the time! A Wemo plug for instance uses 1.6 watt, so you actually end up using more power then you save then simply leaving the TV in standby!!

Also many AV gear, like Sky boxes, etc. need to be left in standby mode so that they can get software updates, TV guide updates, etc.

It really makes no sense to use a smart plug on your AV gear if you have Harmony Hub or even just use your TV's remote to switch it to standby versus a smart plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Sorry to be awfully annoying but does this work with a Horizon box? If so how do you setup the horizon box?

For some reason when I pick my favourites ti doesn't seem to change the channel. I looks to be trying to change the TV as opposed to the horizon box.

Yes it does. You input the model number and it can communicate. Then you chose the channel guide. Works well and easy to set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Yes it does. You input the model number and it can communicate. Then you chose the channel guide. Works well and easy to set up

Yea, I've managed to get it sorted now.

Can it go as far as to get into Netflix on a Samsung TV? I have it getting to the Smart Hub but can't get it any further...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Shane732 wrote: »
    Yea, I've managed to get it sorted now.

Can it go as far as to get into Netflix on a Samsung TV? I have it getting to the Smart Hub but can't get it any further...

You should have all of the main functions of the TV remote while running the watch TV activity you create to suit your TV setup

Advertisement