Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Are the opens definitely on the 18th??

What's a Munich loop?

Munich Loop

Has been announced for the 18th and confirmed in the Park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have a race on the 11th of October so Friday week could be a bit close but have 3 weeks after that before the next race so would definitely be interested in heading up at some stage during those weeks to get a session in on the Munich lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Munich Loop

Had been toying with the idea of doing the opens (subject to permission of course :D) but county masters have been moved to the 18th.

Would definitely be interesting in doing a session on the Munich loop though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Munich Loop

We would always use the longer loop that takes you down and up a ravine as well. Much tougher loop and the one they use in the Garda XC. Pretty much bang on a mile too. I'd recommend giving this a go as well as the one indicated on the thread. If you are a lover of steep hills that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

How are the ribs coming along KU?

• Advertisement

How are the ribs coming along KU?

Ah yea, they're grand sure. A week and a bit of no running. Four or five days of painful running. A visit to Fontana Wellness (The wonders a dip in an Icelandic Lake followed by a soak in a hot springs can do :)) And I'm cured. Not ideally prepared but still in good shape for the Novice.

Here is the Munich Mile for those interested. Gives a bit more bang for your buck as the saying goes

Munich%20Mile_zpsb7m0q4xu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Ah yea, they're grand sure. A week and a bit of no running. Four or five days of painful running. A visit to Fontana Wellness (The wonders a dip in an Icelandic Lake followed by a soak in a hot springs can do :)) And I'm cured. Not ideally prepared but still in good shape for the Novice.

Here is the Munich Mile for those interested. Gives a bit more bang for your buck as the saying goes

Crusaders for the win in the men's novice on Sunday?!

No pressure! But I think Liffey Valley, Raheny, and Donore (and possibly DSD too) will have more or less entirely new teams from last year, due to people losing their novice status. I don't know who else will be contending. Rathfarnham, maybe? There could be some teams with a couple of great juniors stepping up?

I'm not sure if I'll make the start line - my right calf managed one run-through the Munich in spikes on Wednesday before stiffening up and now my left ankle has decided it doesn't work in sympathy. I hope to at least start.

re: Munich Mile - there are a few versions. The first one I ever did followed the first half of the Garda BHAA one in the image above (i.e. from the fort, right down the hill and back up the other side, rather than through the dips, before going through the trees, down and around and back along the long flat straight). However, after going down the hill and back up the other side, this loop then went up to the path and did the standard loop in reverse from that point i.e. along the straight, back through the trees and then through the dips back to the magazine.

On top of the various mile loops, we've regularly done a 900/1k and a 750/800 interval section, as well as a 850 continuous hilly tempo loop over the past couple of years. There's a middle-distance 300m-ish hill sprint session too. And the longer 2k loop.

Last Saturday, I jumped in with another club's session on the Munich hills and found myself doing the most convoluted continuous hill session possible - it was insane. I haven't looked at it on garmin yet, but I'll try and dig it out.

Edited to add: The continuous hill session is actually a segment on Strava called the Civil Service "40 Hills Session" Lap:

https://www.strava.com/segments/2677910

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Just wondering what the thoughts are on whether to wear spikes or not in the Novice race this Sunday? Ive never done a cross country race before but would train regularly on the hills around the magazine fort in my usual runners. I did buy a pair of spikes last week but haven't had a chance to try them out yet and not feeling too confident about wearing them in a race situation for the first time. Given how dry it has been lately, would it be ok to wear racing flats instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wear spikes. You can go for a short jog on grass to get used to them beforehand, but if you're used to flats you should be okay anyway
    The weather might turn before Sunday and there will be juvenile and women's races on that course before you which could churn the ground up

RayCun wrote: »
    Wear spikes. You can go for a short jog on grass to get used to them beforehand, but if you're used to flats you should be okay anyway
    The weather might turn before Sunday and there will be juvenile and women's races on that course before you which could churn the ground up

Hmmm thanks for the advice, think I better do a few easy loops tomorrow in them so, to get used to them. They look a bit fierce :eek:

Dubgal, please pretend that you did not see above post... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

FeenaM wrote: »
    Just wondering what the thoughts are on whether to wear spikes or not in the Novice race this Sunday? Ive never done a cross country race before but would train regularly on the hills around the magazine fort in my usual runners. I did buy a pair of spikes last week but haven't had a chance to try them out yet and not feeling too confident about wearing them in a race situation for the first time. Given how dry it has been lately, would it be ok to wear racing flats instead?

I did a couple of laps of the Novices course today and it's bone dry, making the trail sections very hard underfoot (no give whatsoever). The grass is also quite long in places and the section from the Magazine Fort towards the trees is strewn with hay! If it's still like that on Sunday I'll be wearing trail shoes or my normal runners I think. No harm to bring the shoe collection and decide on the day.
    RayCun wrote: »

Forecast seems to be dry until Monday. I'd love to wear spikes but I wonder about wearing them when conditions are like this >

Dubgal, please pretend that you did not see above post... ;)

Unlikely FeenaM ;) Best hide, quick!

Many taking the plunge this week either in Dublin or elsewhere (Not sure whether other county races on this weekend?

Roll Call
    Ecoli

Sacksian wrote: »

No pressure! But I think Liffey Valley, Raheny, and Donore (and possibly DSD too) will have more or less entirely new teams from last year, due to people losing their novice status. I don't know who else will be contending. Rathfarnham, maybe? There could be some teams with a couple of great juniors stepping up?

I'm not sure if I'll make the start line - my right calf managed one run-through the Munich in spikes on Wednesday before stiffening up and now my left ankle has decided it doesn't work in sympathy. I hope to at least start.

re: Munich Mile - there are a few versions. The first one I ever did followed the first half of the Garda BHAA one in the image above (i.e. from the fort, right down the hill and back up the other side, rather than through the dips, before going through the trees, down and around and back along the long flat straight). However, after going down the hill and back up the other side, this loop then went up to the path and did the standard loop in reverse from that point i.e. along the straight, back through the trees and then through the dips back to the magazine.

On top of the various mile loops, we've regularly done a 900/1k and a 750/800 interval section, as well as a 850 continuous hilly tempo loop over the past couple of years. There's a middle-distance 300m-ish hill sprint session too. And the longer 2k loop.

Last Saturday, I jumped in with another club's session on the Munich hills and found myself doing the most convoluted continuous hill session possible - it was insane. I haven't looked at it on garmin yet, but I'll try and dig it out.

Pretty much same team for us anyway as last year with a bit of fluctation in form but overall standard of team not much changed (a solid 4th scorer added)

Hope the ankle holds up E, little bit of plantar myself (for last 2 weeks) at moment I been managing but am getting a bit of light treatment tonight on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

FeenaM, who did you trick into letting you compete in this? Whoever has advised you, has badly advised you IMHO.

Cross country and marathon do not mix, end of. There is too much risk of injury. All it takes is a turned ankle, a strained achilles, a spike through your calf or a torn hamstring going up those hills....and all your marathon prep is for nought.

Part of the discipline of training for a marathon is having a certain single-mindedness. You need to train your racing brain to ignore all non-marathon distractions.

However, you're a grown up and can weigh up the risks all by yourself :)

Edit: hope this didn't sound too blunt. You have yourself set up for a really impressive marathon debut, you've worked hard and I don't want anything to get in the way of this :)

Pretty much same team for us anyway as last year with a bit of fluctation in form but overall standard of team not much changed (a solid 4th scorer added)

Hope the ankle holds up E, little bit of plantar myself (for last 2 weeks) at moment I been managing but am getting a bit of light treatment tonight on it

I was almost in a Tallaght pincer/sandwich at the finish last year, but I'm in a lot worse shape coming into Sunday!

I'd say you'll all be looking at decent individual improvements this year, which could mean an outside chance of a team medal. I think around 8 of the top 10 from last year are now ineligible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Galway counties on this sunday,over 8k in tuam on the national course from Feb masters and inters. about 60 entered of all ages and shapes, will give it a go, last year just made top 20 and the same target despite worse shape. If all the names on paper turn up it could be a good race and the second goal is to avoid getting lapped ...

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    FeenaM, who did you trick into letting you compete in this? Whoever has advised you, has badly advised you IMHO.

Cross country and marathon do not mix, end of. There is too much risk of injury. All it takes is a turned ankle, a strained achilles, a spike through your calf or a torn hamstring going up those hills....and all your marathon prep is for nought.

Part of the discipline of training for a marathon is having a certain single-mindedness. You need to train your racing brain to ignore all non-marathon distractions.

However, you're a grown up and can weigh up the risks all by yourself :)

Edit: hope this didn't sound too blunt. You have yourself set up for a really impressive marathon debut, you've worked hard and I don't want anything to get in the way of this :)

I hadn't been planning on doing it but was told it would tune me up or something along the lines of that?? My plan was to do a 3 mile warm up, run the race and then a 3 mile cool down. A spike through my calf though :eek:, em I might go check out some videos on youtube of a cross country race though and give it some more thought. Not even sure what I signed up for, thought it was just a short run around the hills?? But if I did pull out that will leave the club short one for a team after another girl pulled out today....

Just found a video there of the start back in 2009 and it's like horse-racing :eek:

Going to have a think about it.

Just found a video there of the start back in 2009 and it's like horse-racing :eek:

Hey, don't want to scare the bejasus out of you :eek: The risk of injury could happen anywhere, if you have a weak achilles/calf/hamstring anything could set it off. I just think a cross country race at this stage is placing you closer towards that range of possibility.

From what I know of you, I know you'll be competitive and won't be lurking at the back of the pack, especially when there are team placings at stake. And I get the importance of team, it's why you're in a club :)

How does it fit in with your schedule? Have you done your last lsr yet or what's the plan? Is there any chance you could do a mlr instead if you decide to race?

Or...you could just ditch the marathon! :)

Only joking Dubgal!

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Or...you could just ditch the marathon! :)

Only joking Dubgal!

Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that?!....... :rolleyes: :D

Decided I better see what conditions the spikes were in, pulled them out of the wardrobe today and knocked the 8 month old muck off them! :D

Did a few 100m strides in them and they felt OK, so all good to go. Ground should be fairly dry so will stick with the 9mm spikes. Intermediate this weekend and then novice the following week so should be fun.

Edited to add: The continuous hill session is actually a segment on Strava called the Civil Service "40 Hills Session" Lap:

https://www.strava.com/segments/2677910

We've a good team. No one of the calibre of JF, who won it last year but a few in or around my level that should have us a solid 4 scorers. One of the lads that ran 2.35 in Berlin last week just pulled out and he's a solid XC runner, so that's a big loss.

Really pity that you're iffy to make the line. You are due a break with all these injuries

Really pity that you're iffy to make the line. You are due a break with all these injuries

:eek:

Steady on! A niggle is bad enough.

It's not that bad - I'm enjoying just being back running, to be honest. I don't mind taking a while to get up to speed.

I was almost in a Tallaght pincer/sandwich at the finish last year, but I'm in a lot worse shape coming into Sunday!

I'd say you'll all be looking at decent individual improvements this year, which could mean an outside chance of a team medal. I think around 8 of the top 10 from last year are now ineligible.

It only dawned on me after that race in ALSAA that you were the guy I was kicking to try and get near in the last 200 last year..I reckon if I get that close to TRR again I will be happy as I reckon he is in much better shape this year. Our 3rd scorer is an unknown quantity. Are 4th scorer DNF'ed last year due to injury and is not running this year however one of the Masters lads is just off a solid result in the SOS so should be much higher placing than our 4th last year.

I doubt it will be enough for a team medal as I think Cru and DSD will be the two to beat.
    We've a good team. No one of the calibre of JF, who won it last year but a few in or around my level that should have us a solid 4 scorers. One of the lads that ran 2.35 in Berlin last week just pulled out and he's a solid XC runner, so that's a big loss.

If they are around your level should be a solid team as I reckon you will be a hell of alot further up the field compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'm doing the Novice in Tipperary on Sunday. My first xc race. I've done a few good tempos on the grass but have a bit of a head cold today so could be a baptism of fire. Don't have spiked but the ground is very dry around here at the moment so I should be ok in my racing shoes. Might bring my trail shoes just in case.

I'm doing the Novice in Tipperary on Sunday. My first xc race. I've done a few good tempos on the grass but have a bit of a head cold today so could be a baptism of fire. Don't have spiked but the ground is very dry around here at the moment so I should be ok in my racing shoes. Might bring my trail shoes just in case.

Best of luck CM! Is the course hilly ? Dublin XC course very dry so still in two minds about what shoes to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Best of luck CM! Is the course hilly ? Dublin XC course very dry so still in two minds about what shoes to wear.

Thanks BG. Same to you. There is a hill that we go up twice but I don't think it's very steep. Do you need grip going up hills?

Thanks BG. Same to you. There is a hill that we go up twice but I don't think it's very steep. Do you need grip going up hills?

I wouldn't think so unless it's wet or mucky but I've never done XC that I can remember where it wasn't wet/cold/freezing/mucky/windy so Sunday could be a whole new experience!

• Advertisement

Best of luck all of ye racing this weekend :)

Advertisement