Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company hire car with funky tyres

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whatwicklow report it to your boss. Then any injury you incur would leave the CEO of your company criminally liable.

If they don't act a quick email the HSA will kick start things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

In fairness I think the previous poster has a point. I'd be in the same boat. Apart from snow/ice I've never had any car lose traction that I'm aware of. I can't remember the last time I had to brake suddenly and, if it's wet I adjust my speed accordingly. I have zero interest in a car's performance and generally drive quite conservatively so perhaps that's why. I always use high quality tyres also.

If you’re doing a conservative 120kph on a wet motor way and there’s an accident in front of you, you’re gonna believe your tyres will be pushed beyond their limit.

You don’t have to drive hard to find the cars limits, it’s just a risk you take everyday when you turn the key, that’s why no one should ever buy cheap tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Technique wrote: »
    Judging by what the local tyre places have in stock, most people seem to be going for the cheapest option available.

I've never seen a place that didn't have options at either end of the scale or in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CianRyan wrote: »
    If you’re doing a conservative 120kph on a wet motor way....
    I wouldn't do 120km/h on a dry motorway on a sunny day never mind a wet one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭XsApollo

• Advertisement

Even 80, you can’t over come physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

Car rental companies seem to put on garbage replacement tyres.
    Go back directly to them or through your company and simply state the car is unsafe and demand it be changed. Make sure and get a fresh car with low miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

gk5000 wrote: »
    Car rental companies seem to put on garbage replacement tyres.
    Go back directly to them or through your company and simply state the car is unsafe and demand it be changed. Make sure and get a fresh car with low miles.

I'd do this as well. Negotiate hard and rent from someone else if you don't get satisfaction.

Interesting what people are saying about Pirelli tyres here. My car came with P Zero Neros, which are apparently their all weather tyre, with 4 - 5 mm tread left and it's as dodgy a ride as I can remember in any car I've owned. I feel a lot less safe, especially in the wet. I can't be sure it's the tyres fault as the car and tyre profile are new to me too but I've ordered in Bridgestone A005s just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yeah, I had P6000's for a while, same tyres that sent me straight off a road and into a ditch, writing off my old Almera. Now I'm running 3 Generals and 1 Matador on my RX8 and they can absolutely out perform the P6000's. They're not top class and I will get a better tyre when it comes to changing but they're yet to send me wrong.
    I think they're both owned by Conti too!

I'll never buy Pirelli tyres again.

The PZero Rosso I have had for a few years are quite good in truth - basically stuck to the road on lateral loads and very progressive; A bit less impressive with longitudinal loads, I've felt the ABS kick in a few times, yet in no way worse than other brands (Michelin, Continental, Goodyear) I've used before. I guess it depends also on the tyre type and even how it suits the car.
    If I have to find a defect, it's the rolling noise they produce.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    I've never seen a place that didn't have options at either end of the scale or in between.

Depends - I too find that most places only stock cheap sh1t and try aggressively to push it on customers, due to higher margins I suspect. Those who have some midrange or premium options tend to ask extortionate prices for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You're doing it wrong :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Ah the Lucky Lands... In the wet you'll be lucky if you don't land in the ditch! :D

They are absolutely dreadful in the wet; the car was a right handful when the road was marginally damp with them on. They were changed about a month after I started driving my car

Interestingly though, to protect my alloys in the snow I whacked on the Lucky Lands and deflated them to about 10 psi... I never got stuck... And I helped plenty who were stuck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Put it up on Twitter or their Facebook page, that usually gets their attention much quicker than a verbal complaint or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

bazz26 wrote: »
    You seem to be missing the point entirely.

It is not about driving your car to the limit to justify buying good quality tyres, very few people drive outside a track pushing their tyres to their limits. It's about depending on good quality tyres when you need them to get you out of trouble. Them and brakes are all that keep you between the ditches but its very Irish to get better value from a session down the local than spend money on a decent quality tyre for their car.

This. Premium tyres have a shorter stopping distance than cheaper ones, that's not up for debate. Sorting out a potential fender bender because of a skid is a lot more hassle than forking out the price difference for some quality tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nankang (Korean, not Chinese) have been making some excelleng tyres in the last few years.
    Recently took some low end Conti’s off my girlfriends Micra and replaced them with midrange Nankangs and the difference genuinely shocked me.
    The car no longer understeers and when it does eventually let go, it’s very predictable and rotated around the centre I’d gravity like you’d expect from a good tyre and suspension set up.

Just a tidbit really, Nankang used to have a bad name but anyone should consider them now. They even have amazing track tyres now.

Sounds like you're driving that poor Micra in a manner not exactly suited to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

put it in the hedge

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're driving that poor Micra in a manner not exactly suited to it..

It’s a car, cars are to be driven.

It’s a car, cars are to be driven.

Micras!? Just no

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

It's booked for tyres in the morning, I'll see what advanced say, they cover the hire company's rubber needs so will have the final say. If they say it has legal thread and is OK I'll just leave it back with the hire co or leave it in a ditch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

It's booked for tyres in the morning, I'll see what advanced say, they cover the hire company's rubber needs so will have the final say. If they say it has legal thread and is OK I'll just leave it back with the hire co or leave it in a ditch!

Probably barum if it's going into advance.Not a bad tyre.Miles better than what's on it anyway.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Micras!? Just no

So then, why are there entire race series dedicated to Micras?
    If I had mentioned a dier, rep spec 320d you’d probably have nothing to say.

Anyway, I’ll go cry about your opinion as I test the limits of the tyres on my RX8.

• Advertisement

So then, why are there entire race series dedicated to Micras?
    If I had mentioned a dier, rep spec 320d you’d probably have nothing to say.

Anyway, I’ll go cry about your opinion as I test the limits of the tyres on my RX8.

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya I've been told to look at nankangs for trackday tyre. Seemingly good value for the money.

I have a set of AR1 Semi slicks which are very expensive for just that, 190e a corner in 235/40/18 but their cheap stuff isn't great really, i'd be wanting atleast a set of kumhos or matadors on a road car if trying to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

OP here,

Hire company are going to swap the car opposed to the tyres.

Result for me, problem moved to the next customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice one! Hope you get something good with low BIK

Advertisement