Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you choose?

Options
  • 16-12-2018 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

what would you choose between these 2 cars:

1. 2006 Yaris, 1ltr, 140000km . 2300 euro. Looks in great nick. Full year NCT on it. Dont know the seller but its a local enough garage. 3 month warranty.

2. 2010 Nissan Micra. 1.2ltr. 140000km, 2000 euro. I know it has had a few big dents repaired to it but the mechanic selling it and is trustworthy and says the car is sound.

My main thing is reliability. Just want the least hassle possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

what would you choose between these 2 cars:

1. 2006 Yaris, 1ltr, 140000km . 2300 euro. Looks in great nick. Full year NCT on it. Dont know the seller but its a local enough garage. 3 month warranty.

2. 2010 Nissan Micra. 1.2ltr. 140000km, 2000 euro. I know it has had a few big dents repaired to it but the mechanic selling it and is trustworthy and says the car is sound.

My main thing is reliability. Just want the least hassle possible!

Yaris....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yaris but is it not overpriced? Or is the Micra underpriced?

Both will be reliable, if a bit basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I think the Micra seems cheap for its year, but as I say the mechanic is a genuine fella and says its sound other than the dents in the bumper that he's having fixed. Ive been dealing with him for years.

The Yaris was advertised online at 2500 and the garage say theyll take 2300. Sounded like a typical salesman. But the car looks good and well looked after. It looks better than the micra to be honest but is a few years older. Compared to other Yaris of the same year it doesnt seem over priced but I am no expert on cars.

Basic is good. just a reliable car is all I want! just wondering what is the guy instinct of others on first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yaris can be got much cheaper to be honest just keep an eye out.

If we were back in 2002 or before I would have said micra or Yaris yes no issue.

Look at daihatsu, also there one up for sale going cheaper for 06. Pretty much similar.

Now we have Citroen c2 which is Yaris equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Either is good from what you have said.
    Go test drive both and then decide.

• Advertisement

I drove the Yaris today. It looks absolutely immaculate. Not a scratch on it. Very very clean.

Had some minor doubts though. There's a slight rattle when I started it, but maybe this is just cos its a bit old! Can hardly expect it to purr like a kitty at that age though. 150,000 km on the clock!

The heater was blowing luke warm too, which in my last banger seemed connected to a worn out head gasket. I told the salesman this and he played it down as you would expect. Said he'll sort it out and it's just minor - maybe a filter or something?

Im heading back tomorrow to see what the craic is and see what else he has.

The joys of used car hunting. What a pain in the hole it is!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those Yaris don’t purr as they’re a 3 cylinder engine, that particular engine is one of the least refined from that era.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those Yaris don’t purr as they’re a 3 cylinder engine, that particular engine is one of the least refined from that era.

cheers.

know anything about Hyundai Accents? Spotted an 06 one with (maybe suspiciously) low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re generally quite good. They’re a kinda in-between car -being halfway between a Yaris and Corolla size wise.
    Interiors are a bit basic in finish but well equipped, engine is nippy and they don’t give much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Can I reccomend Hyundai getz can be got for peanuts reliable 4 cylinder engine decent space drive well

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it!

It's been a funny week. I went to test drive a Yaris yesterday. Took one look at the fella and knew he was dodgy. He knew I was coming and had the engine running when I got there. This rang alarm bells so I asked him if he knew of any general problems with the car to which he replied "no its perfect" . I drove the car down the road and just knew it was in bits. I pulled over and the bloody thing wouldnt start again. Rang him and he says "its the battery". Told him he was a spoofer, left the car and on me way. He was going mad because I wouldnt wait with it! Gas.

I tested the 2006 Accent this morning and it was in great nick: 80,000 km (nearly half the norm far as I can see), full year NCT, felt perfect, new tyres and service history.

The very weird thing is - I think it used to belong to my Da. Imagine, the amount of places selling used cars and the high turnover of used cars and I come across this. I know he took really good care of it so I paid a deposit and am collecting it Wednesday.

Advertisement