Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why is the reg plate pixelated?

They tend to do it as it could be stripped and used unmarked for a time.

Also when it is sold on reg stays the same down the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mr Snow wrote: »

I get the feeling that this was a mandated PR stunt considering I pretty much cant find anything positive ever mentioned about rathkeale anywhere else. conduct the checkpoint while theyre all at a funeral or something ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

If they really want to minimise the amount of drink driving that goes on, should the priority not be more checkpoints & less garda speed checks?

As an example, the dual carriageway into Sligo for the last 2 months
    Drink driving checkpoints - Zero
    Garda Speed checkpoints - 35
    Go Safe speed checkpoints - 25

Both garda & go safe vans do speed checks daily on this road.
    Yet they never do a checkpoint to check for faulty lights/valid NCT, drink driving.

From the Garda stats it's obvious the drink driving is still a huge issue all over & that should be stamped out more than someone slightly over the posted speed limit. (not advocating speeding but I would rather every drunk driver was taken off the road first)

They have limited resources but drink driving should be higher on the priority if they actually want to do something about it.

If a go safe van operates in a given area then there should be no need for the garda to do one also. (Paying twice for it)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

joujoujou wrote: »

Havent seen a tire that slick outside of an F1 car..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's scary that we have to share the roads with these dopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well at least the wheel alignment is spot on, good job wearing it down that far on both sides with no cords showing :p

Scrap the cap!

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

BronsonTB wrote: »
    If they really want to minimise the amount of drink driving that goes on, should the priority not be more checkpoints & less garda speed checks?

As an example, the dual carriageway into Sligo for the last 2 months
    Drink driving checkpoints - Zero
    Garda Speed checkpoints - 35
    Go Safe speed checkpoints - 25

Both garda & go safe vans do speed checks daily on this road.
    Yet they never do a checkpoint to check for faulty lights/valid NCT, drink driving.

From the Garda stats it's obvious the drink driving is still a huge issue all over & that should be stamped out more than someone slightly over the posted speed limit. (not advocating speeding but I would rather every drunk driver was taken off the road first)

They have limited resources but drink driving should be higher on the priority if they actually want to do something about it.

If a go safe van operates in a given area then there should be no need for the garda to do one also. (Paying twice for it)

are these figures of operations available somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Take a random number, multiply by another random number...

No, these are my own actual observations as I travel this specific road daily.
    But my point could be applied to every garda division.
    Currently speeding is the top priority. (Done daily)
    Drink Driving is seldom & random.

Naturally the garda would not release such information for a specific road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Maybe I've missed something but is it not lunacy to try to implement drink driving checks on a dual carriageway or even on a slip road due to the dangerous speeds involved, you'd cause a crash.

Drink driving checks are always done in milder speed zones, country roads etc. near pubs in my experience - easy to setup, little traffic disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

D'Agger wrote: »
    Maybe I've missed something but is it not lunacy to try to implement drink driving checks on a dual carriageway or even on a slip road due to the dangerous speeds involved, you'd cause a crash.

Drink driving checks are always done in milder speed zones, country roads etc. near pubs in my experience - easy to setup, little traffic disruption.
    Drink drivers would stick to motorways if that was the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They start filing traffic to single lane after an exit. So it should be slowed down by the time it gets to the check point.

Garda, RSA & customs do multi check points for green diesel on other dual carriageways & motorways so it is possible to do.

Some little boy opened his toys before Christmas:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1075748455929315330

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

D3V!L wrote: »
    Fecking light weight !! :pac:

Stuck in 2nd gear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

No, these are my own actual observations as I travel this specific road daily.
    But my point could be applied to every garda division.
    Currently speeding is the top priority. (Done daily)
    Drink Driving is seldom & random.

Naturally the garda would not release such information for a specific road.

Can't speak for other areas but it's the opposite of what you've posted in my district!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Is that road really 80kmh? Or was it earlier he was clocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is that road really 80kmh? Or was it earlier he was clocked?

Yes it's really 80kph. Drops to 60kph at Palmerston and the city center on the other end.

I was surprised when I was driving on the N81 to Blessington yesterday where it's 100kph and people live on that road whereas the N4 has nothing on the 80kph section.

Garda, RSA & customs do multi check points for green diesel on other dual carriageways & motorways so it is possible to do.
    Fair play and to Dravokivich that would work - I've honestly just never seen one tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yes it's really 80kph. Drops to 60kph at Palmerston and the city center on the other end.

I was surprised when I was driving on the N81 to Blessington yesterday where it's 100kph and people live on that road whereas the N4 has nothing on the 80kph section.

It's quite a windy road with not the best sightlines plus it's two narrow enough lanes plus a bus lane. 80 is about as fast as could be legally allowed. 100 would be fine if there was no other traffic but there are often tailbacks on it and 80 is about the max that you can have to allow safe breaking distances if happening upon stationary traffic as you round one of the bends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was coming up the M8 late one night and rounded a bend approaching exit 10 to find myself blinded by a squad car at the exit facing my direction with the headlights on and the clown driving it standing in the middle of the road diverting traffic onto the slip lane.

No advance warning signs or beacons.. Just this guy out on his own!

Good thing I was paying attention but how I didn't hear of a Garda fatality the next day is amazing.

:D this was my original concern - because if I'm the Garda, I'm not going onto that 100/120km road

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,109 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've seen the Guards do checkpoints on the M50, there was one at the M1 junction (for the airport) last year I think.

There are blue flashing lights well in advance (after the previous exit of course), loads of cones out, it's safe enough.

It's not like local road checkpoints where you have 1 Guard stopping traffic and his mate talking to whoever gets pulled over. There are loads of them.

The AGS and customs do check points on the M7 regularly too. They put up roadworks/reduce speed warning signage for about 2km or 3km before the checkpoint and set up traffic cones to reduce traffic to one lane on approach. They usually position the checkpoint parallel to a layby so to direct traffic into that layby for inspection. At night they even erect portable flood lights around the checkpoint for extra visibility. If your still speeding by the time you reach the checkpoint then in my view you should not be allowed drive. You really cannot miss the fact there is something happening well ahead of you on the motorway and need to reduce your speed.

It's not two gardai with a torch each waving you down doing 120kph in the middle of a motorway. Its well planned and executed but some people I think just like to whinge about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

This gentleman decided he was so entitled as to park on Wicklow street in Dublin today. On today of all days! Yellow reg beamer.

Car was taken in end according to article. Man returned after over an hour and told the guards "just give me a ticket". Ended up losing his car. Proper order 😂

https://lovin.ie/entertainment/viral/car-wicklow-street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Everyone that walked past it should have keyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

See so many yellow regs every day - severely doubt there’s that number of NÍ residents or UK tourists in Dublin every day.

Delighted to see some of the tax-evading c*nts get their cummupence

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Get Real wrote: »
    This gentleman decided he was so entitled as to park on Wicklow street in Dublin today. On today of all days! Yellow reg beamer.

Car was taken in end according to article. Man returned after over an hour and told the guards "just give me a ticket". Ended up losing his car. Proper order ��

https://lovin.ie/entertainment/viral/car-wicklow-street

I can't believe they waited 90 minutes for him to return. Where were DSPS with their tow trucks?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

markpb wrote: »
    I can't believe they waited 90 minutes for him to return. Where were DSPS with their tow trucks?

It makes you fear if it was a terrorist parking a car or van packed with explosives! "Let's wait 90 minutes"

Unregistered Users

I'm surprised they didn't point a haidryer at him! :D

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1077203441859084288

Now in the fake news business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Bah humbug much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ah shag off with yourself.

Seasons greetings to all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ridiculous remember years ago the cops had their own tow trucks.

The car could and should have been towed without any hanging around exactly the same though as that one that blocked the red line luas.

The car should be pushed by force out of the way.

If we want better transport we need enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Ridiculous remember years ago the cops had their own tow trucks.

The car could and should have been towed without any hanging around exactly the same though as that one that blocked the red line luas.

The car should be pushed by force out of the way.

If we want better transport we need enforcement.

Yes, bring them back!

45738145554_26a7e27b8f_c.jpg

What do they use to tow these days?

The old spiders were the best.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement