Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT or no VRT?

• 16-12-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to the UK in Feb for 8 months (Feb to Sep) with work.

I will be leaving my car in Ireland as my partner will need it here, however I was thinking of buying a car in the UK when I get there.

I'm sure most people on this forum are tired of VRT based posts, however I would appreciate if anyone had the time, and knew the answers to the following:

QUESTIONS

01 - Will I be legible to bring the car back to Ireland in Sep and be VRT exempt?

02 - Once I get back in Sep, I will need to split my time 50 / 50 between Ireland and the UK, so am I better off not changing the plates from UK to Ireland when I get back? (as per below, I will still be paid in GBP in the UK, after Sep)

03 - Considering I will be splitting my time between both countries after Sep, what actually constitutes as being legally able to drive a UK plate car in Ireland, for the time that I am here? I have no interest in trying to dodge the system, however if I am 100% legally legible to drive a UK plate in Ireland when I am here, it might be better to keep the car on UK plates.

NOTES

A - I will be paid in £GBP into a UK bank account (and will continue to be paid into the UK account when I get back in Sep)
    B - I will be renting in the UK
    C - I will be insuring and taxing the car in the UK starting from Feb
    D - I will be there for 8 months, with the odd flight back home for a weekend
    E - I understand I won't be able to sell the car for 12 months when I do change the plates from UK to Irish plates

Thanks for reading all of the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

There is a line in there about not being exempt if your are away for a defined task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With Brexit kicking in March, there might be some uncertainty over whether the existing VRT rules still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

bazz26 wrote: »
    With Brexit kicking in March, there might be some uncertainty over whether the existing VRT rules still apply.

Thanks, that would be amazing, however I doubt this will ever be the case in Ireland, as there would be too much dead stock all over Ireland (i.e - dealerships would have paid or accounted for VRT in all of their current stock so could not compete with non VRT prices)

While I'd love to discuss your point in further detail, can we create a new thread for that or add to an existing one, as I feel my question(s) will be lost :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you can only do it when moving your permanent residence to Ireland, yours is already here

oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks, that would be amazing, however I doubt this will ever be the case in Ireland, as there would be too much dead stock all over Ireland (i.e - dealerships would have paid or accounted for VRT in all of their current stock so could not compete with non VRT prices)

While I'd love to discuss your point in further detail, can we create a new thread for that or add to an existing one, as I feel my question(s) will be lost :-)

you misunderstood. After Brexit it's likely the VRT rules will change and bringing a car in from a non-EU country (ie the UK) will probably attract VAT. It won't be amazing, it will cost more.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    you can only do it when moving your permanent residence to Ireland, yours is already here

If you move abroad to work and meet the criteria such as owning and using the car enough you can bring it in VRT free when moving home.

I did it myself, living in the Uk for exactly a year, only worked half the time, never rented as I lived with family and I was home once a month at least and for a few weeks at a time on two occasions. No difficulty whatsoever getting the vet exemption.

Proof of ownership for over 6 months (on VLC), proof of use outside the state (an insurance certificate from Uk insurance), proof of working abroad (a few payslips) and proof of moving back (just showed I got a job) that’s really al that was asked for an barely looked at I didn’t even go in myself to do it sent in someone else with the docs.

If you move abroad to work and meet the criteria such as owning and using the car enough you can bring it in VRT free when moving home.

I did it myself, living in the Uk for exactly a year, only worked half the time, never rented as I lived with family and I was home once a month at least and for a few weeks at a time on two occasions. No difficulty whatsoever getting the vet exemption.

Proof of ownership for over 6 months (on VLC), proof of use outside the state (an insurance certificate from Uk insurance), proof of working abroad (a few payslips) and proof of moving back (just showed I got a job) that’s really al that was asked for an barely looked at I didn’t even go in myself to do it sent in someone else with the docs.

he isn't moving abroad, his partner will still be here and so will his permanent residence I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

you misunderstood. After Brexit it's likely the VRT rules will change and bringing a car in from a non-EU country (ie the UK) will probably attract VAT. It won't be amazing, it will cost more.

There'll be no changes to VRT from Brexit. What will happen is that VAT will have to be applied to imports from the UK, the only issue is when?

OP I don't think you'll qualify for getting a car VRT free as your main residence will be staying in Ireland, since your family will still be here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

he isn't moving abroad, his partner will still be here and so will his permanent residence I imagine.

If he is living, renting and working in the uk then thats his primary place of resistance, end of. Once he can prove that, which he can easily when he returns he can vrt the car.

Thanks all.

I'm not married, nor do I have kids with my partner (girlfriend)... so my family (parents, brothers and sisters) are irrelevant to my situation... I would have thought.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    There'll be no changes to VRT from Brexit. What will happen is that VAT will have to be applied to imports from the UK, the only issue is when?

OP I don't think you'll qualify for getting a car VRT free as your main residence will be staying in Ireland, since your family will still be here

that's what I said.

Thanks all.

I'm not married, nor do I have kids with my partner (girlfriend)... so my family (parents, brothers and sisters) are irrelevant to my situation... I would have thought.

They are.
    I brought home a car but was over there lot longer.

Just note they (in navan anyway) were strict enough. Needed to prove I lived and owned the car there eg copy of lease, bank statements and then proper receipt with ticket home. Needed to prove I was back for good, i had job contract

They are.
    I brought home a car but was over there lot longer.

Just note they (in navan anyway) were strict enough. Needed to prove I lived and owned the car there eg copy of lease, bank statements and then proper receipt with ticket home. Needed to prove I was back for good, i had job contract

Ok thanks... this leads to my second question. I would like to keep the car on UK plates as there is a good chance I will end up spending more time in the UK... so what is the legal legislation on driving a UK car in Ireland when:

- you've owned it for over 8 months in the UK
    - taxed and insured in the UK for over 8 months
    - still being paid into a UK account
    - in Ireland 50% (or less) of the year

Is there any consultant who knows the rules and legislation. The revenue website does not cover everything you need to know, and most accountants understand the full legislation.

Ok thanks... this leads to my second question. I would like to keep the car on UK plates as there is a good chance I will end up spending more time in the UK... so what is the legal legislation on driving a UK car in Ireland when:

- you've owned it for over 8 months in the UK
    - taxed and insured in the UK for over 8 months
    - still being paid into a UK account
    - in Ireland 50% (or less) of the year

Is there any consultant who knows the rules and legislation. The revenue website does not cover everything you need to know, and most accountants understand the full legislation.

An Irish resident can't drive a non Irish registered vehicle in Ireland, except for a few rare occasions when revenue give you an exemption which is usually for company vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Isambard wrote:

If you pay vat in Ireland, would you be entitled to claim the UK vat back?

Sure all my family ties were still here, I was living at home when I moved and still pretty much kept everything going I had in Ireland, not even my phone plan was cancelled as I was always coming back after the year.

If you have the paperwork showing you are living, working, owning a car and using a car in the Uk then you can clear it VRT free, do you think they will ask him where his wife lives or anything like that? Not a chance.

j4vier wrote: »
    If you pay vat in Ireland, would you be entitled to claim the UK vat back?

That's the question no one can answer. VAT is only paid once in the EU. When the UK leaves then VAT will be due on imports. The big question is will it be straight away once the UK leaves or will there be a period when vehicles can be imported with the VAT paid before the UK left, which I highly doubt will happen.

Sure all my family ties were still here, I was living at home when I moved and still pretty much kept everything going I had in Ireland, not even my phone plan was cancelled as I was always coming back after the year.

If you have the paperwork showing you are living, working, owning a car and using a car in the Uk then you can clear it VRT free, do you think they will ask him where his wife lives or anything like that? Not a chance.

There's a difference between doing it and not getting caught out and doing it the way the Law intends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd assume the same system as our other big non Eu import destination, Japan, as a worst case and hope it ends up better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement