Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Waterstown went ahead this morning. A not too unpleasant morning for it. Bit of a headwind slowing you down on some of the sections, but nothing that felt dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Griffeen went ahead. Somewhat wet and windy. Cool too. Wife did her 8th on the trot. I volunteered. A surprisingly good turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

Ardgillan went ahead. As soon as it was over it was announced the park was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Ardgillan went ahead. As soon as it was over it was announced the park was closed.

I was worried that some of the parkruns due to go ahead would make an executive decision at the last minute and cancel so I just ran a loop at home this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Father Collins went ahead. Slippery, wet & windy. Not very enjoyable but another PR done so all's good :D

Felt like we were down on numbers, hardly surprising given the conditions.

***Edit***

Just checked, we had 32 runners this morning so roughly half what we'd normally get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McCrack

The bad weather added an edge to it

I enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Ballincollig was cancelled for some reason!

468240.jpg

McCrack wrote: »
    The bad weather added an edge to it

I enjoyed it

Ordinarily I'd be the same but I'd been up since stupid o'clock with another kind of run' (to the loo, a number of times) and only felt confident enough to chance a PR at the last minute :o

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Mungret went ahead this morning. Small crowd, bad headwind and rain. It constantly amazes me the number of volunteers that come out hail, run or sunshine. A lot of respect for those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Corkagh went ahead. Was a wild one. Gave up on the idea of a pb 800m in at the turn. Was like Lieutenant Dan on the mast.

Finished in 5th, my highest finish with a great race down the last stretch to pip the 6th place guy. 30 seconds off a pb. The guys in front ranged from 40 secs to a minute off last week so I'll take that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

A group ran shanganagh. Didn't know it was canceled. Very little wind even on the more exposed parts and rain not much more than drizzle. 1 puddle to run through and no debris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tramore was on as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

30 in castlebar and 8 in erris...

Not bad considering weather.... and of course everyone in the country had their Xmas party last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

ran father collins too .Respect to the volunters and vistors from shrewsbury and warrington,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

charkee wrote: »
    ran father collins too .Respect to the volunters and vistors from shrewsbury and warrington,.

God it was tough going, facing into that wind was a killer and I was just marshalling. Fair play to anyone who turned up to a parkrun today but to anyone who ran their first parkrun, major kudos.

chinguetti wrote: »
    God it was tough going, facing into that wind was a killer and I was just marshalling. Fair play to anyone who turned up to a parkrun today but to anyone who ran their first parkrun, major kudos.

It was a tough run alright, and looking at the results sheet not surprisingly no one got a PB yesterday.

After taking a week off and aggressively icing and rehab'ing an injury, and the bad weather I decided I was just there to make up the numbers and ran on grass for much of it.

Then just to remind me how bad the weather was one of the Finish signs blew into my face and smacked me a good one lol.

I can imagine the marshals had a rough time out on the course too, you're very exposed in Fr.Collins.

Glen River went ahead in Cork as well & we had surprise visitors when Sonia O'Sullivan & her daughter Sophie showed up. Numbers were around 1/3 of normal though.

468302.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Lazare wrote: »
    Corkagh went ahead. Was a wild one. Gave up on the idea of a pb 800m in at the turn. Was like Lieutenant Dan on the mast.

Finished in 5th, my highest finish with a great race down the last stretch to pip the 6th place guy. 30 seconds off a pb. The guys in front ranged from 40 secs to a minute off last week so I'll take that.

Ran that as well myself (first time to this parkrun), came home 8th (first time getting inside the top ten somewhere). That wind was something else coming up to that turn, just keyed into the effort level to run it as best I could. Looks like a fast course with that second K in particular having a nice fast bit. My brother lives locally so hopefully get another run down the line. Was guessing the wind was slowing things down by maybe 30-40 seconds based on last week’s times as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Went to my local parkrun on Saturday, wasn't the nicest of runs or the best of finish times. After about 500m I seriously thought about quitting - but I felt that would be unfair on the volunteers who stood out in that weather in order that I could run.
    Later that afternoon my mum rang for a chat. "I presume you didn't go to parkrun this morning" she says. "Oh I did" says I. "What on earth did you do that for?!" the mother asks. "I don't know" was my reply. Is it so bad that it didn't even occur to me that morning to not do parkrun...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Went to my local parkrun on Saturday, wasn't the nicest of runs or the best of finish times. After about 500m I seriously thought about quitting - but I felt that would be unfair on the volunteers who stood out in that weather in order that I could run.
    Later that afternoon my mum rang for a chat. "I presume you didn't go to parkrun this morning" she says. "Oh I did" says I. "What on earth did you do that for?!" the mother asks. "I don't know" was my reply. Is it so bad that it didn't even occur to me that morning to not do parkrun...

Nope, quite the opposite. It's a good thing. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is an addiction :)*
    I remember being on a weekend in Sligo and attending the parkrun there. The wind was howling with torrential rain. There was what can only be described as a pond on the last straight before the end. Was glad I did it in hindsight but during the run I was thinking to myself 'WTF possessed you?'

*not a bad addiction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Shedite27 wrote: »

It seems to be in Martin Savage Park just opposite Plunketts Gaa in Ashtown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It seems to be in Martin Savage Park just opposite Plunketts Gaa in Ashtown.

You're quick. Thought I had that deleted in a few mins.

I was posting about ParkHIIT which had an article in the IT this week. Read the online version after I posted it and saw the online version had a link, the paper version obviously didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there a list of Christmas Day events out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there a list of Christmas Day events out yet?

https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is an addiction :)

I'm only on Parkrun #16 but I've been saying that my next city break will only be to a city with a Parkrun, and one of my favorite cities has Parkrun ~ Krakow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'm only on Parkrun #16 but I've been saying that my next city break will only be to a city with a Parkrun, and one of my favorite cities has Parkrun ~ Krakow :D

You could actually fly into London City airport, do a parkrun (2 within a 10 min jog) and fly out in the same morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Parkrun in Krakow is lovely. They're very friendly and so ultra fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

quickbeam wrote: »

I see a few of the New Years Day ones are at 9.00. Might do Poolbeg at 9 and Tymon at 11 as haven't done either of them yet. It'll be a good start to the year and another 2 ticked off the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

calf strain :( All my xmas, new years parkruns dashed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I see a few of the New Years Day ones are at 9.00. Might do Poolbeg at 9 and Tymon at 11 as haven't done either of them yet. It'll be a good start to the year and another 2 ticked off the list.

Glengariff for me Xmas day. Maybe Limerick on NYD if NYE isn’t too heavy, it’s on a bit early though, 9am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Poolbeg and Cabinteely are teaming up that day ..... those hills will be a great start to the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Poolbeg and Cabinteely are teaming up that day ..... those hills will be a great start to the new year

Tymon and Bushy Park are teaming up as well.

I'm on a 24 hour duty on NYE but planning on doing a St.Annes/Fr Collins double right after my shift. Not sure of the distance (about 3-4km I guess) but I'm planning on doing St.Annes before running to Fr Collins, then home to bed :D

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Parkrun in Krakow is lovely. They're very friendly and so ultra fit.

I'm not lol

Realistically I'm waiting to see if I can combine a Judo competition and a Parkrun in Krakow in the same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I'm on a 24 hour duty on NYE but planning on doing a St.Annes/Fr Collins double right after my shift. Not sure of the distance (about 3-4km I guess) but I'm planning on doing St.Annes before running to Fr Collins, then home to bed :D

It was 2.9 miles from parkrun to parkrun when I did it a couple of years ago: https://www.strava.com/activities/817510027

Hoping to do it again pretty soon :)

Singer wrote: »
    It was 2.9 miles from parkrun to parkrun when I did it a couple of years ago: https://www.strava.com/activities/817510027

Hoping to do it again pretty soon :)

Ok so 5km!.. A nice way to get 2019 off to a start with a 15km run and no pressure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

RunnerDub wrote: »
    calf strain :( All my xmas, new years parkruns dashed :(

On the plus side, perfect volunteering opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

On the plus side, perfect volunteering opportunity!

Exactly :) that's what I was doing this morning at Fairview. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Rake of PBs at Malahide this morning, by the first 6 in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Glengariff for me Xmas day. Maybe Limerick on NYD if NYE isn’t too heavy, it’s on a bit early though, 9am.

Double with Lees Road in Ennis NYD @11

Some of the course was still flooded in Ballincollig but luckily the team had an alternate route ready to go to avoid running through half a foot of water. Nice pic from one of the runners makes the place look like the savannah!

468685.jpg

I had a run at the Wexford Parkrun this morning. A very welcoming crew and a fair course with a bit of a drag to be negotiated on each of the 3 laps. Took it easy anyway after a pretty serious session at a wedding reception in the Ferrycarrig last night! :o

skyblue46 wrote:
    I had a run at the Wexford Parkrun this morning. A very welcoming crew and a fair course with a bit of a drag to be negotiated on each of the 3 laps. Took it easy anyway after a pretty serious session at a wedding reception in the Ferrycarrig last night!

I might be biased, but it is a good crew there. The drag is offset by the downhill section on the near side with views over the harbour. Did you stay for the tae. Was supposed to be home made cake there.

Only a short trot from the Ferrycarraig, if you wanted to.

I was in Kilkenny, and got my first course PB in a long time.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I might be biased, but it is a good crew there. The drag is offset by the downhill section on the near side with views over the harbour. Did you stay for the tae. Was supposed to be home made cake there.

Only a short trot from the Ferrycarraig, if you wanted to.

I could barely drive, never mind run from the Ferrycarrig.:pac: We didn't stay for the tae as we were rushing back to get breakfast in the hotel. Well done on the PB.

Thanks, had a battle with someone else for last 200 which is all uphill.

I'd say you were the only mad person from wedding to head to it.

Good way to sober up. :)

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Lucky you, well done.. I've been having awful pains in my left ankle/shin, I can't locate it to a definite area. Its been really knocking back my times.

I've done the gait analysis, got new shoes and insoles, compression socks, resting, icing etc and for the last month I've had no pain free runs :(

Had fun in the Santa suit yesterday but I never realized how bloody warm those suits are!.

Lucky you, well done.. I've been having awful pains in my left ankle/shin, I can't locate it to a definite area. Its been really knocking back my times.

Rest can help as well, give everything a chance to recover.

• Advertisement

Looking like a Malahide Parkrun for me on Christmas Day.

And best yet, my son has recently bought his first house and I'm invited for Christmas dinner over at his, and my daughter has just recently graduated with a culinary arts degree & she's our chef for the day ~ might have to do a little more than a Parkrun to make room for the feast of food I'm expecting lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement