Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work visa & marrage

• 14-12-2018 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

My son is working in UAE (for 12 onths) and has met someone. They want to move back to ireland and work here. They are talking about getting married too. His partner is a Philippine citizen. Can they live here while planning wedding? Does partner automatically get work visa if they are married? Small print seems to say that partner needs to leave country after wedding and return on different visa? They are only going out a few months, will wedding look suspicious (ie like shortcut to work visa / citizenship)?

Can anyone outline the basic steps and usual pitfalls please?

Edit: pls forgive typo on thread title - should read "marriage"!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Wedding may look suspicious and no she won't automatically gain the right to work here after they marry. The INIS website is pretty easy to navigate to calculate requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

I was married 4 years ago to a Filipino so will tell you my steps. This may be different now but not all would be changed.

To start with there is a 3 month visa to apply for that allows them to get married here.

Actually just realised I’m a EU citizen so my actions would be different if your son is Irish as I applied under EU laws not Irish so I won’t bother saying the rest. The first visa is the same though but she would have to leave and come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Can't tell you exactly the steps, if moving back to Ireland, but another option would be to move to another EU country first. There your son can exercise his EU treaty right to have his wife staying with him. After some while (don't know the exact length), this right will also apply when he moves back to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

mdebets wrote: »
    Can't tell you exactly the steps, if moving back to Ireland, but another option would be to move to another EU country first. There your son can exercise his EU treaty right to have his wife staying with him. After some while (don't know the exact length), this right will also apply when he moves back to Ireland.

Still won't give her the automatic right to work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thx for replies folks.

Should have said.... Yes, son is Irish. And going to another country first is not an option. They are both coning here in Jan / Feb or else son comes here in Jan / Feb and partner goes back to Philippines until visas are sorted. Wedding is going take place . Work visa for partner will be applied for as they both want to work.

Whats confusing for me is that there must be 3 months between meeting registrar and getting married. And visa is for 3 months. So they must get married ob last day of visa and then leave they country next day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Get married in a 3rd country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Tow

Getting married in a 3rd country can complicate other matters, such as getting the wedding certificate recognized.
    If there are rules getting a Stamp 4 visa (working) visa once married, they are new. Never heard of the GNIB getting worried about of a Irish (born and bred) citizen's wife getting a Stamp 4 once married, but have personally seen shouting matches in the GNIB office between official and Nigerian, with eastern European 'wife'. Of course they they need a visa to get into the country first.

For advice on the current requirements is to contact John Ferris: https://www.facebook.com/john.ferris.359

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thx. Thats encouraging.

I know son is organising this, and hasn't asked for help, but wanted to help and be able to steer him if opportunity arises.

.....they are always your kids, right

Thanks again to everyone.

Happy Christmas :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There is no such thing as a work visa technically.

Your son's partner can apply for a 90-day visa for the purposes of planning the wedding (etc.) or potentially (depending on circumstances) the long-term join family visa. Unless they obtain a Stamp 4 permission on the long-term visa, they will not be able to work regardless of which visa they get.

Your son and his partner should be researching employment permits as well as visas as they are not the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Whats confusing for me is that there must be 3 months between meeting registrar and getting married. And visa is for 3 months. So they must get married ob last day of visa and then leave they country next day?

Organsing it like that might make the registar suspect a sham marraige. Expect them to require a lot of documentation with respect to their relationship.

Have you (or they) read the following page on "De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission in Ireland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A long time ago a friend of mine married a foreign national. They'd been going out for years, and he had moved over here for a while before the wedding - before that they used travel back and forwards to see each other.

As they were sorting out paperwork, they asked all their friends if anyone had old photos of them together at social events - particularly events that could be specifically dated, like someone's 21st/30th birthday party, etc. (this was pre-camera-phones everywhere).

No idea if they still need that kind of thing, but if they're not a "photo-y" couple, no harm letting them know to take a few photos, with lots of their friends any time they're at a "recognisable" event for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement