Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weanling ADG's

Options
  • 16-12-2018 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I weighed my weanlings Sat,

Heifers averaged 1.1 adg with the best at 1.4 and the worst at 0.9.
    Bulls averaged 1.2 adg with the best at 1.5 and the worst at 0.9

The majority were born Jan - Mar with 2 in May.

Just started to feed them nuts in the last week.

The best heifer is out a CH x SM cow and the best bull is out of HEx.

The weanlings out of the LMx (the weanlings are 3/4 bred Lim) did ok...thought they would do better.

I looked up the internet to see what average weight gain and should be and it looks like I'm in the average group.....

Any feedback appreciated. Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Going to keep an eye on this but it sounds to me like a lot of them are doing very well. What is the period of time since you last weighed them? What amount of meal have they been getting in that time? If they're doing that from autumn that's good. What average weight were they? Sorry if I've more questions than answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Going to keep an eye on this but it sounds to me like a lot of them are doing very well. What is the period of time since you last weighed them? What amount of meal have they been getting in that time? If they're doing that from autumn that's good. What average weight were they? Sorry if I've more questions than answers!

First time weighting them, only feeding them meal in the last week. They weighted from ~250 to 430. The lightest were may born to springers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    First time weighting them, only feeding them meal in the last week. They weighted from ~250 to 430. The lightest were may born to springers.

Did u weigh the cows?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I weighed my weanlings Sat,

Heifers averaged 1.1 adg with the best at 1.4 and the worst at 0.9.
    Bulls averaged 1.2 adg with the best at 1.5 and the worst at 0.9

The majority were born Jan - Mar with 2 in May.

Just started to feed them nuts in the last week.

The best heifer is out a CH x SM cow and the best bull is out of HEx.

The weanlings out of the LMx (the weanlings are 3/4 bred Lim) did ok...thought they would do better.

I looked up the internet to see what average weight gain and should be and it looks like I'm in the average group.....

Any feedback appreciated. Mac

Just in general. Id probably get much the same as yours but id like to think 1.2 and 1.3 would be achievable for the heifers and bulls respectively.

You dont like to see a weanling doing under a kilo eithwr. Have them here too unfortuantely:(
    Tbh. A few weighings throughout the year tell you a lot more than 1 at the end. Weighed in july, september and december. And youll see where the big thrive is. Calves do unreal in the autumn months if theyre kept parasite-free. Thrive in early summer never seems to match but id say they grow the frame as such during the summer.

Calves out of same bull out of different cows will have similar enough weight gain but the 3/4 bred are going to be better shaped thus worth more.
    On a side note. My highest rated cow with a€154 rating has almost her liveweight reared in her twin calves born in march. Adg per calf mightnt be the greatest but 750 kilos of calf in 9 months aint too bad;) if only they all had twins:) haha

Advertisement