Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ordering new tyres from online website.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I have to say that whenever I price it up it is only ever about a fiver a corner cheaper to source myself online assuming 20 a corner to fit and dispose vs. the guy I've been using since the 90s so I always go with him.

Barum is owned by Conti I think, as is Advance Pitstop. They do decent promos on Conti tyres from time to time.

LillySV wrote: »
    Tyreleader.ie... got Goodyear’s for my Beamer on it for great price. I’ve massive tyres and the difference in price was amazing..I was getting quoted way more locally for absolute crap tyres... great service and quick delivery time

Goodyear’s are serious tyre also... look really good on car and handling in dry and wet conditions are second to none... I used to think Michelin’s were the tyre to get... not anymore! They way too dear now and in my opinion the Michelin’s I had before the Goodyear’s weren’t half as good!

Michelin RFTs on our 3er last like nothing else we've had on it. Well worth the extra imho. That said we do have GY asy 3 on the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Anytime I ever priced online tyres, taking into account the fitting price, and the fact that the local guy usually gives me a discount on the tracking if I get 4 tyres, made it a waste of time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

jmreire wrote: »
    Whenever I get my tyres changed, unless the old ones were showing uneven wear, then I don't bother getting the tracking done. If the steering is pulling a bit left / right, or if I have recently hit a kerb, then I would get it done, and also maybe get a full wheel alignment check done. But if the car is driving normally, and not showing any uneven tyre wear, no need for tracking.

I gave a kerb an awful whack with front passenger tyre a few weeks back, met a Lorry way over on my side of road on a narrow urban road and it was either crash into it or hit the kerb:(......so might be as well to get tracking checked.

Is wheel alignment a separate check and what roughly would it cost if anything?

Thanks for any replies.

I gave a kerb an awful whack with front passenger tyre a few weeks back, met a Lorry way over on my side of road on a narrow urban road and it was either crash into it or hit the kerb:(......so might be as well to get tracking checked.

Thanks for any replies.

I pay €30 for four wheel laser alignment on every tyre change, this is waived if I buy four tyres.

Given the shocking state of the roads and the price of the tyres I buy I think it's worth it.

PS tracking is the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you are buying anything in a bigger size and looking for good tyres, there are massive savings to be had online.
    My experience of tyre shops are that they are semi competitive with middle of the road brands in common sizes sold from stock.
    Asking about good stuff, they generally quote 300 each for anything from the premium brands and my tyres are not massive at 245 40 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks for any replies.

Definitely get the steering tracked after any kerbing incident, and if it involves both wheels on the same side, I would advise getting a wheel alignment done. Also if there is ANY kind of "Drift" in the steering when driving on a dead straight road. Point the car in a straight line, and loosely grip the steering wheel allowing the car to "take" it's own path. If it holds true, then it's fine. If not, you may have problem Costs for an alignment check are about €30.00 as a standalone job, but may be cheaper if you are buying 4 tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Whenever I get my tyres changed, unless the old ones were showing uneven wear, then I don't bother getting the tracking done. If the steering is pulling a bit left / right, or if I have recently hit a kerb, then I would get it done, and also maybe get a full wheel alignment check done. But if the car is driving normally, and not showing any uneven tyre wear, no need for tracking.

I recommend tracking every 6 months. We have never ever had a car go on our rack that had the tracking correct. Even one pothole can throw it out so its worth getting it done at least with every set of tyres.

Definitely get the steering tracked after any kerbing incident, and if it involves both wheels on the same side, I would advise getting a wheel alignment done. Also if there is ANY kind of "Drift" in the steering when driving on a dead straight road. Point the car in a straight line, and loosely grip the steering wheel allowing the car to "take" it's own path. If it holds true, then it's fine. If not, you may have problem Costs for an alignment check are about €30.00 as a standalone job, but may be cheaper if you are buying 4 tyres.

Thanks for feedback.....guy in tyre centre I rang yday said they check tracking for free and if it has to be done it’s 50 euro.....which I thought sounded expensive?

After kerb whack if the wheels needed ‘aligning’ is that then another 30 euro on top of the 50 euro for tracking if that needed doing iykwim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Even if the prices including fitting are comparable buying online can still be advantageous because you get the tyres you want and not something the garage has on the shelf.

afaik most people just turn up with their car and get whatever is on offer in their price bracket.

• Advertisement

Thanks for feedback.....guy in tyre centre I rang yday said they check tracking for free and if it has to be done it’s 50 euro.....which I thought sounded expensive?

After kerb whack if the wheels needed ‘aligning’ is that then another 30 euro on top of the 50 euro for tracking if that needed doing iykwim?

Tracking and wheel alignment are the same thing. Technically tracking is not done anymore and most cars require full wheel alignment (adjustment of more than just the front toe) 50 is not an unfair price for 4 wheel alignment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

rex-x wrote: »
    Tracking and wheel alignment are the same thing. Technically tracking is not done anymore and most cars require full wheel alignment (adjustment of more than just the front toe) 50 is not an unfair price for 4 wheel alignment

Four bolts on a ford focus one for each wheel not exactly rocket science making 50 a total rip off.

my3cents wrote: »
    Four bolts on a ford focus one for each wheel not exactly rocket science making 50 a total rip off.

Its the setting up of the equipment, the fact many are seized solid and can take quite a while to free if at all possible and then the 10000+ kit has to be paid for. 50 isnt that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

my3cents wrote: »
    rex-x wrote: »

Business overheads, equipment costs etc mean it's far from a rip off.
    I see this attitude myself as a self employed person who has to provide expensive equipment, insurances etc and people tend to judge cost by minimum wage rates.
    It's nuts really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Thanks for all replies....I’m crap with computers too so don’t know how to post a link on here but like look of Firestone Multiseason 205/55 R 16 @ 71 euro a tyre on oponeo.ie.....on oponeo rating they are ‘E’ for fuel efficiency anode ‘C’ for Wet weather conditions etc and 72db for noise.

Given my short runs usually in car is ‘E’ a poor rating for fuel efficiency or would it make feck all difference to car running costs?

Thanks again for all tips....will ring around local places.

Firestone at 71 + 15 to fit, madness. Heres a crowd in drogheda :

Goodyear Special Offers

175 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 55.00

185 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 65.00

185 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 72.00

185 60 15 DUNLOP ONLY 73.00

195 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 69.00

205 55 16 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 75.00

215 55 16 DUNLOP ONLY 115.00

225 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 105.00

235 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

225 40 18 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

245 45 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 169.00

245 40 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 150.00

Other Specials
    175 65 14 B F GOODRICH 47.00

205 55 16 MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER 85.00

225 50 17 BRIDGESTONE RUNFLAT 155.00

225 45 17 SEMPERIT SPEEDLIFE 80.00

Price includes fitting, balancing and new valves!

enricoh wrote: »
    Firestone at 71 + 15 to fit, madness. Heres a crowd in drogheda :

Goodyear Special Offers

175 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 55.00

185 65 14 DUNLOP ONLY 65.00

185 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 72.00

185 60 15 DUNLOP ONLY 73.00

195 65 15 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 69.00

205 55 16 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 75.00

215 55 16 DUNLOP ONLY 115.00

225 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 105.00

235 45 17 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

225 40 18 GOODYEAR OR DUNLOP ONLY 123.00

245 45 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 169.00

245 40 18 GOODYEAR ONLY 150.00

Other Specials
    175 65 14 B F GOODRICH 47.00

205 55 16 MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER 85.00

225 50 17 BRIDGESTONE RUNFLAT 155.00

225 45 17 SEMPERIT SPEEDLIFE 80.00

Price includes fitting, balancing and new valves!

Thanks .....unfortunately don’t live near Drogheda.

Advertisement